Ben's Big Battle with Junk Food

hbb

Thoroughly Determined
So, I realise I'm like 4 Weeks Late starting this diary, but as the weight losses each week diminish, I think writing this will help me maintain motivation.

My name's Ben and I've just finished a 4 year Music Degree, in this time I definitely put on a lot of weight, although I've always been a large boy! I tried various diets whilst at University, but none really stuck and once I was off the band wagon once, I never got back on it.

I managed to lose about 3/4 stone at Slimming World when I was 17, but exam pressures put this all on, pre-University, and I put even more after!

More recently, I've found Weight Watchers - a diet that really appealed to me, because nothing is banned and the points system (I'm still doing Discovery) is sensible and allows me the treats that I crave - not being allowed something, for me, is a no-go area!

In my first 3 weeks I've lost a total of 20lbs which I am over the moon with - and I have to thank the support groups on here for their help and motivational powers, as I'm doing this at home and not class.

I found that actually going to Boots and weighing myself more formally acts like a class though, and I'm more confident of Boots' scales than my own.

So this is the start of my 5th week now (I think?) and I'm still really on it. I've got to lose 1 more pound to have lost 1.5 stones, which was my Christmas target - and I can't wait to go home and for my parents to comment on my weightloss (they've always had a big thing about my weight!)

Cheers!
Ben :)

Last edited:
Well done Ben, you have had a fantastic start! The overall losses will diminish from your fantastic start and it does get harder to keep motivated, so good luck with the diary, it will certainly help you keep to the straight and narrow. Any loss is a good loss! and its surprising how time flies by. You will be in the 13's before you know it. Ive lost almost 6 stone since May, and although on a day to day basis it seemed to go slow, really it has flown by.

Cheers Lynn! :)

Friday 3rd December, 2010

Right. Time to get my blogging head on my ever-decreasing shoulders. I've done some brass band journalistic work before, so writing has never really been a problem. However, that was always easy to script and very rarely required my inner-most thoughts and feelings, just assessing performances. So here it goes.

I'm currently approaching the fourth weigh-in. That'll be on Monday, where I shuffle through the snow and ice on my lunch break from 'Spoons to Boots, where I step on the machine that tells everyone in the shop (it's only small) that it's measuring my weight and height. And it doesn't whisper it, I'm pretty sure that next door can hear that it's attempting to measure me! Now, the first time that I stood on the scales and this happened I was horrified! Not only was my weight an issue that I kept very close to my chest and clammed up as soon as anyone mentioned it, I was so used to just weighing myself at home. However, because I couldn't afford to physically join a class (£5 a week vs 50p for the scales) I decided that the physical action of having to 'get weighed' would make it feel all the more real. And of course I did and does and I now quasi-look forward to it. The fact that the scales at home are is the most unreliable piece of equipment didn't help, despite the fact that it's WW endorsed. They've been known to say weights as far apart as 10 pounds, so I now take these measurements with a HUGE pinch of salt!

In the last 3 weeks I've lost 20lbs, which I am very very happy with. I've never been able to stick to diets, I've tried Slimming World with my friend, but as soon as we went off the band wagon we boycotted the meetings and avoided the Counsellor's emails and texts! I've tried calorie counting and I've tried the gym. All with very limited success. Hence the reason I was probably at my biggest at the start of this diet.

So Week 4 of Weight Watchers. In the back of my mind I know that the weight losses per week are going to plummet. My first loss was a staggering 11lbs, the second week a respectable 4lbs and last weeks' weight loss was 5lbs. Amazing! My weight tracking programme tells me that with these weight losses I should reach target by Jan 22nd. I laughed. Actually out loud. I'm really glad it knows that Christmas is over this period, as well as New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, which co-incidentally is my Birthday (usually hungover.com). I'm not naïve enough to believe this. I just hope for losses every week.

Today has been pretty hard. I got up late due to the fact that I actually had nothing to do today. I'm a qualified Secondary school teacher with a maternity cover position, but due to HUGE delays with the CRB system, I've not been able to start, despite a start-date of Oct 5th. I skipped breakfast and walked to town. I currently live in Hulme, in the outskirts of the Mancunian City Centre. I try to walk to town as it's only about 1.5/2 miles from my house and it's not worth the expense of the bus. I did this today, traipsed around the Arndale centre, stocked up with some WW treats from Poundland (so cool!) and walked back.

I'm in love with 'The Biggest Loser' and because of this have the workout DVDs that accompany the series. So I bunged the Cardio Max one on and worked out for 30 minutes with Bob. And felt sooo much better for it.

But then the evening hit, I was bored, only so much rubbish TV you can watch and kept feeling hungrier and hungrier. I'm definitely a boredom eater. I munched my way through 2 bags of WW Cheese Curls, a ham sandwich, a pack of fun size malteasers and a pack of fun size magic stars. Which all together only equal about 8 points and I did have this to 'spend', but it was the first time that I'd really got this boredom hunger. I really need to do 'stuff' to keep my mind off food. I think I'll have to work on this.

The last two days I've hit my points target (33) exactly, and I feel absolutely awful for doing it. Most days I've managed to stay between 5-10 under and I've been full. I can't work out if you're supposed to eat all of your allocation every day - or is it a maximum, depending on your hunger level?

In other news, I finally got into a pair of jeans at Next. Haven't been able to do that since the 1st year of university. Was amazing. Although the same size jeans in Primark didn't fit at all, but then again, I think that Primark's sizes are always smaller than the better quality shops.

So I'm off to watch the series 1 finalé of Glee before starting the last two days of week 4. Of which I'm spending 13 of the 48 hours at work (on my feet constantly) which I find very easy to avoid food at.

Thanks for reading if you got this far. Was really good to just write it out. Will make this a priority!

Ben :)

Last edited:
Saturday 4th December

So I've just finished work (I'm a [very] temporary barman) and I always try to relax for a few hours before bed. No-one goes to bed at 5 when 'normal' people finish, work do they! So I thought I'd fill in my daily diary like a good little boy.

So today was fun. Had a nice lie in, something that unfortunately I've been getting more and more used to, as I tend to be rota'd to work evening shifts. Better for tips - worse for a social life. I picked up some photo montages I made last year from my time on Camp America last year from my friend and then walked 2 miles to central Manchester to meet a friend, who treated me to lunch. I didn't know what time we were going to eat, and like usual, I was running late, so I dashed out the door and grabbed 4 McNuggets from McDonalds - a steal at only 2.5 points. I had a cup of tea to wash it down and felt like a true grown up!

This friend knows I'm dieting, so he's pretty good in accepting that some places I'd rather not go. So, in the end we ended up 'Nexus', an independent art café located in Manchester's s****y Northern Quarter. You could tell this place was artistic too, as every single person had an Macbook on the table, writing their next big novel or researching artists! It was a fantastic place to dine. Funky music was playing, artists were working and half way through our lunch a lady stood up and announced that customers could create their own Christmas Wrapping Paper using mono-printing onto big pieces of paper. It reminded me so much of camp. My friend, Rob, wanted a go, but I only had a few hours and wanted to traipse around and window shop!

For lunch I went for one of the safest options on the menu - a bacon butty. I had it on brown bread, mainly because I love it, and I subconsciously thought that brown bread is healthier than white (I have no idea if this is true, but I'm going to tell myself it is!). So I counted 3 points for the bread, 2 points for the bacon and I gave myself a 2 point buffer for anything I might have missed!

I haven't been 'in' on a Saturday afternoon for a while, I'm usually gigging or working. It was nice to see that ITV1 still do awesome films. So I sat down on the laptop and watched Mrs Doubtfire. Such a blast from the past. And such a nice afternoon of reminiscing about my childhood. After it finished I got out some low point snacks to take to work so I wouldn't chose unhealthy stuff. But stupid me left them on the counter at home - only realising when I stepped into work!

So I've spent the last 7.5 hours on my feet and am killing. Reckon I've walked about 10 miles today! At work I had Spaghetti Bolognese (8.5 points) but couldn't resist temptation and had some Chicken Strips which set me back 6.5 points.

After my break I felt absolutely awful. I've not eaten that much food in ages and actually felt sick. I was so uncomfortably full. And to be honest, I haven't actually eaten too much compared to what I would have eaten before. Isn't it amazing what a difference 4/5 weeks make!

Sorry to be graphic now, but I think I'm a bit clogged up. So I've got some fibre tablets that i'm going to take for a few days to try and get me going again. Popped on the scales this evening before bed and it said 16stone 8. I know that you weight more in the evening, but I'm not so convinced I'm going to lose too much, if anything this week. Despite three 30 minute bouts of exercise and a hell of a lot of walking each day.

Time will tell.
Night everyone!
:)

Hello Ben,

It looks like you're doing great with your weight loss and all that walking, i'm a major walker as well:p

Good luck for you next weight in ;)

Hey!!

I'm loving your diary, it's so nice to read about someone who battles with junk food like me lol
You're doing so well, and I know exactly what you mean with pleasing the parents.. I get alot of stick from mine, but yesterday both of them (at separate times) commented on how good my face and body is looking :D It's so satisfying!
So keep up the good work and you'll be looking great at xmas, new years, valentines, easter lol and the list goes on!

xxx

OOh, that's great truehoneybuns! Aren't compliments great!

Sunday 5th December

Oh my lord. Didn't get to sleep until 3am last night and then had to be at work for mid-day today, so didn't really have time for breakfast as I wanted as much sleep as possible. So I grabbed a shower, donned my uniform and turned up to spoons with a few easy snacks to nibble on before my break.

For my break I had a roast dinner! It was lovely. I sustituted the half roast chicken for a chicken breast (and saved a fair few points), had some roasts, a yorkshire and some stuffing balls. Quite a lot of points at about 12/13 but was worth it. Haven't had a roast on a Sunday for year! Could have saved some points by having mash, but it's not quite the same is it. Will have to try making my own, fry-light potatoes soon. In fact. I've never really made a roast. That may be the task for a few weeks' time - or after christmas, when I don't ahve to work at the Weekends!

I was sooo tired after work, and had to pop round to my friends to drop something off, so I was really naughty and had a McDonalds on the way home. But had a McChicken Sandwich (no mayo) and medium fries. Naughty, and to be honest it wasn't that nice. But I really couldn't be bothered to cook. I have the feeling it's going to be a very early night. Just need to watch X-Factor (GLEE ARE ON IT!! :D) first.

In other news, I'm overdoing the fibre supplements - I am feeling so clogged up and can't do anything to shift it. I think this is the main reason I'm feeling really tired all the time and the scales aren't showing a loss this week. Although the only scales that count are tomorrow's!

B :)

Haha. OK. So after a lovely reputation comment - I've been inspired to write another entry!

Saturday 1st of January. My 23rd Birthday.
I am writing this, after a 13 hour shift at work. Granted with a 2 hour gap between 3 and 5pm. But a 13 hour shift never the less. I shouldn't be so nice and offer to work when people call in sick, or when my manager is at his wit's end trying to organise cover for a skiving piece of work. But never mind. It's £66ish pounds that I can use on something for me. And what's more: this was my last shift at Wetherspoons. Oh yes! I start my teaching job (secondary music) on Tuesday with an inset day, and then the little darlings start on Wednesday. I've only got a Year 8 class (doing the blues) and a Year 9 class (I'll set them a composition task to assess this skill) on a Wednesday, so it's a very gentle introduction. Just so glad I can start.

So. After all this change. How is the diet going?
It's actually going amazingly well. Officially according to my weigh-ins I've lost 30lbs. 2 stone 2lbs. However, my more recent weigh-ins at home on my scales show a loss of 33lbs - we'll see on Monday. I am now under 100kg. I am now just 1kg/m until I reach an 'overweight' BMI and not 'obese'. I am wearing trousers of a 38-inch waist and shirts with a 16.5" collar. I am no longer looking through the racks for the biggest size, but taking both the L and the XL into the changing room (something I never did before) to see which actually looks better. Not which one fits. My work colleagues have really noticed it, and it's great when they comment that I'm having a very slim day. I'm not entirely sure I could walk taller. The person who spurred me on to doing it cannot believe I've stuck to it, and that I've lost over 2 stone and she's put on. She's gutted that I did it and she couldn't. That's a great feeling to know that your willpower is there and bubbling away.

SOOOOO. Christmas time. I was at my parents house in deepest Surrey. Normally I live and work in Manchester, where I live with 2 fellow housemates who are both very supportive of my dieting. Kate herself is gradually losing weight through eating healthily and swimming and Matt is ridiculously skinny, and can eat anything and stay skinny. You know the kind of person us overweight people hate! I have my Weight Watchers scales on the side, which is great as I just bung everything I cook onto them and I don't have to guess (and as it turns out, my portions before I bought the scales were far too big!) and I have all my low calorie snacks around. Going home for Christmas was undoubtably going to be hard. Both my parents are overweight. My brother, his fiancée and most of my dad's side are overweight. We've never been a skinny family. Turning to food has always been our comfort. So it was very hard when my parents were scoffing pringles and I had my Wotsits, but I'm very proud to say that over the holiday I was very good - I had little treats, but I didn't eat until I was set to burst like I usually do. AND, I still had a fantastic Christmas.

I started the Wendie plan just after Christmas, as my godparents came around as well as my uncle and cousin and there was a huge buffet. I decided to make this my Super High day, so I could actually enjoy the pizza slices available and my mum's amazing Lime and Mascarpone cheesecake topped with Malteasers! The next day was my super low day, which suited me as I spent most of it on a 4 hour car journey up north, and then 6 hours at work where it's easy to not snack as I don't get time!

So, today's my birthday and I had cake. And it was amazing. My boss made lots of little cupcakes. And over my 13 hour shift I had 4. Usually I would have had 4 per hour. They were awesome, and I kind of feel guilty for eating them, but then my brain tells me that treats are great and it's my frikkin' birthday. Being born on New Year's Day is a bit crap as all of my uni friends are at home celebrating and it's very hard to go out and party. I went with a friend to a house party last night, and made myself drive as I had to be up at 9am and then I wouldn't drink. This worked, and I still had a good time! What I am looking forward to is my housemates coming back and going out for a real birthday celebration.

My graduation is now in 27 days. And I really want to be 14 stone something. This means I need to lose 9 pounds. This is 3 pounds a week. This is doable. Especially as it's in 'four' weigh-in's time. I want to look good for graduation as my parents have spent £100 on photos. We'll see how it goes.

Right - this is enough of a ramble for today. I promise I'll try and update this a bit more regularly, just haven't really had the time. but now I'm in a regular 8am-4pm job (I wish!) my evenings are free and I can blog a bit more!

Hope you've enjoyed it xx

Congratulations Ben :D

And I'm sure you'll look good on your graduation because you're doing great;)

Sunday 2nd January

OH. MY. GOD.
Such a lie in. It's been absolutely amazing. Didn't get up til 2pm. Didn't set an alarm. Just woke up and felt great. I'm actually in bed now - trying to get myself into a normal sleeping pattern as I start my new job on Tuesday and don't want to be tired for it!!

Today was my extra low day - 4 points lower than my usual target of 32, so I was only allowed 28. I've actually only eaten 21.5 today and not really that hungry, so just going to ignore it as i've already had 2 chocolate bars in that allowance! :D

I may have only been up for 6/7 hours, but I managed to watch 5 episodes of Grey's Anatomy and clean the whole house, change my bed, thrown out a lot of my old clothes (NOT getting back into that state!) and done all the washing up. Felt so good. I also took down all of the christmas decorations. So I feel like I've actually achieved a lot today! :)

Meeting my friend for lunch tomorrow, then I'll have the rest of the day to make sure I'm ready for Tuesday! Weigh in tomorrow too... 9 more pounds until I'm in the 14's... I want to be there for the 27th of January - my graduation!

Short and sweet entry today! Ciao!!

Last edited:
Hey Ben (hope you don't mind me addressing you by name!), I've really enjoyed reading your blog. It's so inspiring to read other people's journeys and share in their success. And it's pretty brave to put all your feelings out there in the public domain.

Really looking forward to hearing about your future triumphs!

Laura x

Hey Laura,
'Course you can call me Ben, I also respond to 'Oi You' and 'Tubbway' (don't ask!)
Glad you enjoying my diary!
Just writing the next day now, as I can't sleep! :(

I promise I will *never* refer to you as Tubbway. That's just mean!!
I'm a night owl too, always have been. Always seem to be more creative when there are no distractions....except I will admit I'M HUNGRY!!! Oh noooooo :(

Haha... I play in a brass band where my name is, and will always be Tubbway. And I actually quite like it - I admire the fact that they found a very good nickname and it's stuck! And to be honest, when you compare it to the likes of fun-hoover, food-hoover, fatty, smelly and Little Miss Moffat, I did ok! :D

Hi Ben,

I am loving your diet blog -- good on you for doing this (and appreciating your parents paying for photos and wanting to look in them).

Also, congrats on your fantastic losses, graduating, getting a teaching job and being in a band. What instrument do you play? My son plays the trumpet.

To answer your question: Whole wheat bread, pasta, etc. is better for you than anything "white". The white stuff has all the nutritional and fiberous bits removed. (So, the whole grain will help with the "bung up" bit, too). Avoid white! Also, substiting a whole wheat torilla for bread in a sandwich works really well (fewer carbs and fiber added).

A mom talking here -- do forgive me for my little lecture: I have to admit was little horrified at you "wasting" your points on food with no nutritional value (except I get the Christmas "mom's special dessert" and birthday treats). But, even tasty snacks can be "good fuel" and that is what food is: your fuel.

Try subsituting some nuts, string cheese, etc. for the Wotsits, etc. You can look for better snacks that will help with the hunger. The higher protein will also help with hunger. The "no nutritional value" items like crisps, etc. cause a sugar spike in your blood which releases insulin and causes them to be stored as fat more readily:not burned as fuel. So, eating this no nutritional value stuff makes you more hungry than you were before you ate it!

Tescos used to sell a GI GUIDE. Glycemic Index is a key factor to losing weight and keeping it off. Try to read up on Gylcemic Index and things like the South Beach Diet (developed by a physician for his cardiac patients). If you follow WW, but make your point choices also lower in GI... you will not only continue to lose weight, but you will be improving your health over all and working towards developing a palate that will allow to maintain your losses in the long term.

Trust me on this... losing the weight is very difficult, but keeping it off is even more challenging. We need to make permanent changes to our relationship with food.

I know all this stuff, have studied nutrition (however, I was a history teacher) and still... after losing five stone, I have allowed almost three to come back on over the past two years by slackingoff on the exercise and sliding back into my past patterns of boredom, reward, comfort, etc. eating. Also, eating too much of the wrong things -- a little is okay: one oreo, not ten! ;)

I hope you do not mind if I follow your blog. I know you can do this... and I hope you have a "before" picture to post with your "after" once you reach goal. If not get someone to take two photos of in front of a closed door (provides a frame of reference). One facing forward and the other a side view. You will be amazed at the difference!

MinnieMel

hey Ben!

found your diary :D whoop! it is now in my subscribed threads :D

how long have you been on the WP now then? i could never hack it myself.. i could do the super high but always overate on the superlows :p

i think you did really well at xmas to choose healthier versions of snacks etc.. at end of day, you only live once you cant cut out all things you enjoy! x

Hi Ben,

I am loving your diet blog -- good on you for doing this (and appreciating your parents paying for photos and wanting to look in them).
Thanks! I actually started this before I even remembered about graduation, but it's been a great spur. And ironically, it's my mum know that is worried about the pictures and her! :(
Also, congrats on your fantastic losses, graduating, getting a teaching job and being in a band. What instrument do you play? My son plays the trumpet.
I play the tenor horn, but I started on Trumpet. Spent the last 2 summers teaching trumpet at an American Summer Camp, as well as teaching all brass at my MAPAS training.

To answer your question: Whole wheat bread, pasta, etc. is better for you than anything "white". The white stuff has all the nutritional and fiberous bits removed. (So, the whole grain will help with the "bung up" bit, too). Avoid white! Also, substiting a whole wheat torilla for bread in a sandwich works really well (fewer carbs and fiber added).
i've taken this on board! Just been to asda, have wholewheat pasta as well as wholemeal bread - I don't know why i didn't have this before - I LOVE brown bread!

Tescos used to sell a GI GUIDE. Glycemic Index is a key factor to losing weight and keeping it off. Try to read up on Gylcemic Index and things like the South Beach Diet (developed by a physician for his cardiac patients). If you follow WW, but make your point choices also lower in GI... you will not only continue to lose weight, but you will be improving your health over all and working towards developing a palate that will allow to maintain your losses in the long term.
Will definitely look into this. Heard lots about GI, once my new job's not new any more and I feel settled I look into it! :)

I know all this stuff, have studied nutrition (however, I was a history teacher) and still... after losing five stone, I have allowed almost three to come back on over the past two years by slackingoff on the exercise and sliding back into my past patterns of boredom, reward, comfort, etc. eating. Also, eating too much of the wrong things -- a little is okay: one oreo, not ten! ;)
My portion control since starting WW has been so good actually. My willpower's very strong (I'm quite stubborn!) so I know what you mean. Once I get to target I really want a tattoo. I'm hoping that seeing this every day will spur me into keeping it off? Make sense?! :D

I hope you do not mind if I follow your blog. I know you can do this... and I hope you have a "before" picture to post with your "after" once you reach goal. If not get someone to take two photos of in front of a closed door (provides a frame of reference). One facing forward and the other a side view. You will be amazed at the difference!

MinnieMel

I've got some 'before' pictures, and a few at christmas that actually do look radically different! Will try and get some nice 'during' pictures now my housemates are back in manchester and can take them! As for following my blog - feel free! really nice to get some nice feedback and supportive words. means a lot!

Ben :) x

hey Ben!

found your diary :D whoop! it is now in my subscribed threads :D

how long have you been on the WP now then? i could never hack it myself.. i could do the super high but always overate on the superlows :p

i think you did really well at xmas to choose healthier versions of snacks etc.. at end of day, you only live once you cant cut out all things you enjoy! x

Welcome! Nice to see you here! :)
I only did WP for a week. Not entirely sure it worked? but at the time it was very helpful, especially around the buffet christmas occasions! really meant I could dive in!

Back to normality now. Started my new job which means that I can't snack. I don't really have time between classes and certainly can't eat during lessons! It also means I have to plan a bit more, which for me is a steep learning curve, as I'm terrible at it!

Back