Best alternative to sugar?

Hello, I'm new here, although I have been lurking for awhile now getting usful tips.

One thing I haven't really seen discussed is the best replacement for sugar. I have already cut sugar out of my diet, swapping my daily cups of tea for green tea.
However I would love to have a spoonful of 'sugar' on my bowl of "Good Grain Puffed Wheat" in the morning to swap things up as dried sour cherries/plain Puffed Wheat can get a bit boring.
The most ovbious choice is Splenda as it's easy to get and widely used. However I'm scared due to all the bad press it has got, such as; causing weight gain, causing cancer, causing stomach pains etc. Can anyone here throw in their opinions?

Much thanks :D

I think if you research anything you'll find health scares. I thought Splenda wasnt too bad, its the sweetners in diet cola they try to scare you with, but I'ms till drinking it everyday.
For cereal though I like a small fromage frais in for sweetness, or small yoghurt plopped on top.

I figured as much, apparently, the study that showed a relationship between splenda and weight gain, was partly funded by the Sugar Institute. That ovbiously casts some doubt on it. I will most likely buy some granulated splenda tomorrow and see how it is :)

Never even tried Fromage Frai, may give it a go over some mixed berries .

Picked up some Fromage Frai in Tescos along with some splenda :D

Not sure when I will get around to trying the splenda as I only want it on my cereal and I still have some dried cherries left. Fruit already contains a load of sugar so I don't want to make that worse :p

I looked into that. Was moments away from buying some on eBay, but didn't due to the same reasons I put off buying Splenda.

I haven't looked into it too much either tbh, I just know that it's been recommended on a Clean Eating website I follow. That being said; my sister swears that it makes her angry and she stopped using it.

I've also seen raw honey and brown rice syrup mentioned, but I'm not sure that would save you any calories.

I buy Agave Nectar and Sweet Freedom, both from Holland and Barrett but you can get them in some supermarkets. It is not as low calorie as the artificial sweeteners being natural products but the GL is much lower and they do provide less calories than ordinary sugar. I find them a good compromise as I don't like to have too much artificial sweetener due to the potential health risks.

i have always used candarel, both the tablets and granulated...i havent had any problems so far....

Back