Big body squad

MissSlinky2011

Silver Member
Has anyone seen this programme, its about the treatment overweight people are receiving - its a little bit like look at these big fat fatties who can't even get out of their house. It's a bit degrading to these people.

One lady had a bmi of over 100, I had no idea that was even possible!

The only positive part I've seen on this show so far is a gym specifically for overweight people and children of any age referred from the Dr where they get a personal trainer.

We get referred to the local gym by the Dr for 12 weeks free but the people working there look at anyone bigger than a 12 in disgust and they put the weight machine that involves giving you huge cleavage right opposite the men's body building bit!

X x x

Has anyone seen this programme, its about the treatment overweight people are receiving - its a little bit like look at these big fat fatties who can't even get out of their house. It's a bit degrading to these people.

One lady had a bmi of over 100, I had no idea that was even possible!

The only positive part I've seen on this show so far is a gym specifically for overweight people and children of any age referred from the Dr where they get a personal trainer.

We get referred to the local gym by the Dr for 12 weeks free but the people working there look at anyone bigger than a 12 in disgust and they put the weight machine that involves giving you huge cleavage right opposite the men's body building bit!

X x x

yes I have watched it and I quite agree with you x

No I haven't seen it but I've just stuck it on my sky+ so will give it a watch later in the week.

I've seen all the episodes & I wonder @ wot point do they think I'm getin pretty big here maybe I should do something but ignore it @ kp eating!

There was 1 episode where the man was 53st & went in2 hosp, he got home & in 5wks was 58st. Now this man is bedbound so some1 must b feeding him all this food, I think - STOP FEEDING HIM! Technically whoever is feeding him is killing him, can this not b a punishable crime? It is shocking!

We have all decided enuf is enuf & have joined a slimming class & found this fantastic site 2 give us motivation :) x

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using MiniMins

It's on channel 5 hun :)

I agree though who is it that's is feeding them when they can no longer leave the house, and why don't local authorities organise a diet meals on wheels of 3 meals a day brought at the three meal times and not allow them to have any other food in the house - I'm sure long term that would be cheaper than all the extra care and operations they need on the nhs!

It's just a shame that so many programmes instead of trying to show emotional and mental effect of being overweight instead like to concentration on look at the big fat person who can't walk or dress themselves or get out of bed - its not helping the issue and its not giving them any dignity.

X x x

It's on channel 5 hun :)

I agree though who is it that's is feeding them when they can no longer leave the house, and why don't local authorities organise a diet meals on wheels of 3 meals a day brought at the three meal times and not allow them to have any other food in the house - I'm sure long term that would be cheaper than all the extra care and operations they need on the nhs!

It's just a shame that so many programmes instead of trying to show emotional and mental effect of being overweight instead like to concentration on look at the big fat person who can't walk or dress themselves or get out of bed - its not helping the issue and its not giving them any dignity.

X x x

As an overweight person I find these shows totally motivating and also empathise with some of the problems. I DO struggle however, with the 'freak show' aspect of it as most of the subjects have very sad tales to tell re their size x

stivesliz said:
As an overweight person I find these shows totally motivating and also empathise with some of the problems. I DO struggle however, with the 'freak show' aspect of it as most of the subjects have very sad tales to tell re their size x

I find things like the biggest loser and obese a year to save my life motivating but shows like this and the half ton teen seem like they have specifically been made so that people will watch it and laugh at them and feel disgusted by them ad there is no in-depth view into the 'person' behind the fat.

I will admit part of me watches them thinking Oo I feel dead skinny though lol

X x x

I find things like the biggest loser and obese a year to save my life motivating but shows like this and the half ton teen seem like they have specifically been made so that people will watch it and laugh at them and feel disgusted by them ad there is no in-depth view into the 'person' behind the fat.

I will admit part of me watches them thinking Oo I feel dead skinny though lol

X x x

My favourite is the Obese - a year to save my life - I love jesse pavelka lol! But some of the shows, although I wasnt as big as some of them on it, I do recognise things that they do as things I have done x

I've watched this programme before and what surprises me is the seemingly unlimited amounts of money spent on special equipment, furniture etc for the people involved.
All we hear is how councils are having to make cuts - not in this area it seems!

Blueway said:
I've watched this programme before and what surprises me is the seemingly unlimited amounts of money spent on special equipment, furniture etc for the people involved.
All we hear is how councils are having to make cuts - not in this area it seems!

I know £10,000 for a lift in this guys house tonight!

Blueway said:
Really??? I didn't see that episode.
What's it made of, solid gold?!

You'd think would you! It's because its strong enough to carry 40 stone. The guy could walk but couldn't get up the stair and carry a drink. What a waste of cash!

You'd think would you! It's because its strong enough to carry 40 stone. The guy could walk but couldn't get up the stair and carry a drink. What a waste of cash!

I must say this programme has really shocked me, there was a lady on i think the first episode who was given a £3,000 chair paid for by the local council!
I know old people with mobility issues who have to fight to get anything paid for by the council and a lot of the time they're not successful.

Yeah my dad needed a stair lift because the cancer treatment was making him so tired he couldn't get upstairs to bed on his own (which at 60 and 61 he found degrading) the council said no because my mum is a teacher but who has £4000 lying about these days! In the end a merchant navy charity Installed it for free but because the council took so long my dad used it a handful of times before he died.

Why should someone who is too fat to get upstairs deserve something more when they have created their problem themselves compared to someone like my dad who was a fit man and never asked to be struck down by cancer!

I agree with you, I know there's probably more goes on behind the
scenes regarding funding than what we see see on the programme
but i don't understand how some of the people on this show seem to have adapted bathrooms, special beds and furniture that don't appear to be available to the rest of the population!

Why should someone who is too fat to get upstairs deserve something more when they have created their problem themselves compared to someone like my dad who was a fit man and never asked to be struck down by cancer!

I understand you feel resentful for the way things were handled with your dad (and rightly so) but I don't agree with the bit I've bolded, and I think it's a bit of a inconsiderate & judgemental thing to say. Sure to an extent the people on that show have got themselves into the position, but we don't know if they have underlying medical conditions, if they suffer from depression or other invisible illnesses. It's too easy to say 'oh lazy fat people blah blah' - it's not like the budget for your father receiving something came from the same 'pot' as the equipment these people got, and I think they should also be allowed some dignity in their lives until they feel capable physically and mentally of more.

I've never heard of an underlying illness alone helping someone to weigh 48 stone or more, to get to that kind of weight you have to be consuming a diet of 5000 calories a day +

I used to say I was fat because of this or that its all rubbish, you get fat because you eat too much of the wrong kinds of foods - everything in moderation but when you have a whole loaf of white bread as your breakfast then I would say you put yourself in that position regardless of any underlying issues.

I got myself to weigh 19 stone and I realised I had a problem with food so I did something about it using my own money as is everyone else on this forum so I don't think that they should be handed tools which are only going make these people lazier I think they should be put on diet plans and sent to special gyms not given lifts and chair lifts and mobility shooters which takes away what little exercise they were doing and that would be my opinion disregarding what happen with my dad.

Back