Big body squad

I've never heard of an underlying illness alone helping someone to weigh 48 stone or more, to get to that kind of weight you have to be consuming a diet of 5000 calories a day +

I used to say I was fat because of this or that its all rubbish, you get fat because you eat too much of the wrong kinds of foods - everything in moderation but when you have a whole loaf of white bread as your breakfast then I would say you put yourself in that position regardless of any underlying issues.

I got myself to weigh 19 stone and I realised I had a problem with food so I did something about it using my own money as is everyone else on this forum so I don't think that they should be handed tools which are only going make these people lazier I think they should be put on diet plans and sent to special gyms not given lifts and chair lifts and mobility shooters which takes away what little exercise they were doing and that would be my opinion disregarding what happen with my dad.

I do think that obesity is a vicious circle in that you get big, you get depressed, you eat more, you get bigger etc etc etc and I feel for these people in that they are unable to break that circle but on Obese A year to save my life there have been a couple of people that touched my heart - maybe because their stories touched a nerve in some parts but in layman's terms , what you say is true - we are overweight because we eat too much and dont exercise, end of.

I suppose it's a bit like smokers etc - their illnesses and disabilities are self inflicted so I agree that help should be more pro-active in helping them to change as opposed to helping them to live with it x

Your views are very to the point but well done for saying what you feel and for your fab weight loss too! x

I agree with it being a vicious circle and I think that is the element that is missing from these kinds of shows they show people eating all the food but don't show the guilt and shame they feel after.

I think that's my Capricorn self coming out, I try not to upset people with my opinion but I can't change the way I feel and would never try and force anyone to agree with my opinion. I really enjoy a good debate and enjoy reading other peoples views even if I don't agree, the world would be a boring place if we all felt exactly the same about everything lol

X x x

I agree with it being a vicious circle and I think that is the element that is missing from these kinds of shows they show people eating all the food but don't show the guilt and shame they feel after.

I think that's my Capricorn self coming out, I try not to upset people with my opinion but I can't change the way I feel and would never try and force anyone to agree with my opinion. I really enjoy a good debate and enjoy reading other peoples views even if I don't agree, the world would be a boring place if we all felt exactly the same about everything lol

X x x

You're right! It's easy for skinnies to sit there and watch them pile the food in and think how disgusting it is - they dont show the guilt and self disgust after - well actually the Obese - a year etc etc programme DID and one of the ladies on it that touched my heart would eat on her own away from her family behind a door as she was basically guilty about the amount she was putting away.

I have often got fish and chips for all the family and whilst dishing them up have nabbed half the chips from everyone else's plates, or buying a pasty ( I live in Cornwall) and knowing the chap in the shop so pretending I would get another one for my hubby and eating them both.......I could go on lol!

x

I've done it hun, bought an extra bar of chocolate and scoffed it in the car and hidden packets down the sofa because I've been embarrassed and felt guilty but the joy of these revelations is that we can admit what we've done and we know where we've been going wrong but these who are reaching 40 stone plus are in denial about there eating habits and I think its partly because they eat so much food that by lunch time they have forgotten about everything they had for breakfast and as they are hiding it there is noone there to say look don't you think you've eaten enough?

We were lucky that we turned around to ourselves and said enough is enough!

X x x

I cringe when I think about it......

I think the denial thing is interesting - a lady joined my SW group and never lost much, claiming that 'the SW food is how she ate anyway' but it so obviously wasn't! In the same vein , I have seen very shocked faces at my group ( friendship AND SW ) when i have reeled off my fave breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausage, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms etc etc etc. x

I love watching diet programs (Biggest Loser final tomorrow I think) but I watched this once and found it too voyeuristic with no message.

I also got cross with the lift man. 10k is a lot of spend, and I thought the exercise of walking up and down the stairs once a day might do him more good rather than spending more time in a chair. He was only middle aged with a family. I've seen weight loss programs with older people than him trying to lose the weight with exercise. I didn't see this as solving the actual problem, just a secondary one.

*** Sorry, rant over ***

I love watching diet programs (Biggest Loser final tomorrow I think) but I watched this once and found it too voyeuristic with no message.

I also got cross with the lift man. 10k is a lot of spend, and I thought the exercise of walking up and down the stairs once a day might do him more good rather than spending more time in a chair. He was only middle aged with a family. I've seen weight loss programs with older people than him trying to lose the weight with exercise. I didn't see this as solving the actual problem, just a secondary one.

*** Sorry, rant over ***

You're not ranting - you have made a valid point. Well said x

I've never heard of an underlying illness alone helping someone to weigh 48 stone or more, to get to that kind of weight you have to be consuming a diet of 5000 calories a day +

I used to say I was fat because of this or that its all rubbish, you get fat because you eat too much of the wrong kinds of foods - everything in moderation but when you have a whole loaf of white bread as your breakfast then I would say you put yourself in that position regardless of any underlying issues.

I got myself to weigh 19 stone and I realised I had a problem with food so I did something about it using my own money as is everyone else on this forum so I don't think that they should be handed tools which are only going make these people lazier I think they should be put on diet plans and sent to special gyms not given lifts and chair lifts and mobility shooters which takes away what little exercise they were doing and that would be my opinion disregarding what happen with my dad.

That’s your opinion fair play, and no unless we’re talking Prader Willis or w/e an illness itself may not have directly caused that level of weight gain – but there are illnesses that can cause weight gain like PCOS, one of the thyroid ones, or if perhaps you suddenly find yourself with some kind of (permanent or otherwise) disability meaning you can’t get around as much – it’s easy to put a few stone on in those cases, then once that is on a few more appear because you’re not as able to do what you could before, and I assume once you get to a certain point there’s not much you alone can do about it. We’re brave to take the challenge on ourselves to lose weight, but lucky we are able to – someone who is housebound may not be in the same situation. I think that human beings should be allowed to live in dignity, that’s all.

Yes people should be encouraged by drs to lose weight / exercise, but when a healthy weight is a quarter of what you weigh now like one of the ladies, you can feel like you’ll never do it and why bother. Hell, I used to feel like that and I was half that size. It’s not that anyone chooses to be that way, yes some of their choices have led them to that lifestyle, but if you asked someone of a ‘normal’ size I’m quite sure they wouldn’t choose to be 50 stone & bedbound.

When I started a healthy weight was half of my body weight I still took it on alone and I had pcos but by losing weight the pcos disappeared.

I think overweight people make a lot of excuses me included but when I stopped making excuses I started losing weight!

X x x

Starlight said:
My brother has been firefighter for 11 years. He says it's scary how in recent years they're getting more and more calls to assist obese people. When he joined it was unheard of sadly not now. Can you imagine how totally mortifying that would be having 6 firefighters in a fire appliance coming to get you down your stairs or out your house

I would just find that so humiliating!!! I don't understand why people allow themselves to get like that!!

I can't understand how people can maintain a weight of 45 stone+
when they're housebound and unable to buy food for themselves?
Surely whoever's caring for them shouldn't be helping them stay that size.

Blueway said:

Yeah I've always said that, I personally think they should be done for abuse because that's what it is!

My brother has been firefighter for 11 years. He says it's scary how in recent years they're getting more and more calls to assist obese people. When he joined it was unheard of sadly not now. Can you imagine how totally mortifying that would be having 6 firefighters in a fire appliance coming to get you down your stairs or out your house

Surely an incident like this would be the turning point? It must be so humiliating.
When I was young(er) there was barely any obese people so its definitely a sign of the times. I recently watched the Supersize docu film and the man that made the film said when he was a kid he always remembers his Mum cooking good healthy meals and they never ever ate out - thats how I remember growing up too. It was only when I was let loose on the world and in recent years moved to a house near loads of takeaways I properly got a problem - not near as bad as some of the folks on these shows but still bad enough for it to make me feel really bad about myself.

I think that this thread has been really interesting in that, even though we are all overweight, or else we wouldnt be on here, it does highlight the cost and effort in helping obese people.

I want to shout at the telly - GO TO SLIMMING WORLD! x

I recently saw a doc about a teenage fella in the USA and he weighed loads and had to go inot hospital to have a gastric band and surgery and his 'Mom' ( who was also very large) was sneaking him burgers in!

Starlight said:

It's terrible, and that thousands are having to be spent on special reinforced beds and ambulances!

I was mortified when at the fertility clinic I was told I couldnt go on the bed as it only held 18 stone or less and I was 19.5 that was the day I realised I had to do something!

He explained after it was because a 24 stone lady had broken it so they had to be more restrictive but the damage was done and thank god he did it.

One of the reasons I didn't realise how big I was, was because 97% of the time I take good pictures and I rarely saw the bad ones as friends deleted them as we would if someone's eyes were closed in it or they looked very drunk. I've had to scavange to find before pics and have only got 4 out of thousands of pictures. I think if people had let me see the ones taken at a bad angle I would have done something sooner!

Sometimes people need to be cruel to be kind, feeding these 40+ stone people a bag of lettuce might make them moan and cry for chocolate and chips but at the end of the day it might save their lives!

X x x

It's terrible, and that thousands are having to be spent on special reinforced beds and ambulances!

I was mortified when at the fertility clinic I was told I couldnt go on the bed as it only held 18 stone or less and I was 19.5 that was the day I realised I had to do something!

He explained after it was because a 24 stone lady had broken it so they had to be more restrictive but the damage was done and thank god he did it.

One of the reasons I didn't realise how big I was, was because 97% of the time I take good pictures and I rarely saw the bad ones as friends deleted them as we would if someone's eyes were closed in it or they looked very drunk. I've had to scavange to find before pics and have only got 4 out of thousands of pictures. I think if people had let me see the ones taken at a bad angle I would have done something sooner!

Sometimes people need to be cruel to be kind, feeding these 40+ stone people a bag of lettuce might make them moan and cry for chocolate and chips but at the end of the day it might save their lives!

X x x

I quite agree with you and dont even get me started on the Chawners!!!

Back