Big boned?

I don't often disagree with KD, but in my mind that's just an excuse..

And to add something else :p I've found this whole thing (not the thread, but the big boned thing) really difficult to come to terms with.

I know my crooked thinking can lead me to believe strange things ;) I had no idea what I looked like. Always saw a 'fat' me. My BMI also said I was overweight, even at goal.

Am I large framed, or is it just an excuse?

If I am a normal frame, then I really need to get another 2 stone off my body and my 'after' picture is showing an overweight person. My scales say my 'fat' is at a healthy level, my bone density is large.

Damn people for telling me I look okay :D :D Know I'm not skinny, but really hoping that I'm not deceiving myself and not 2 stone overweight :(

This thread reminded me of cartman in southpark and his catchphrase.
images
"I'm not fat, I'm big-boned." :giggle:

Hey All,
Found this thread really interesting ...defo agree that everyone is different and that "your frame" or "being big boned" should be a factor when deciding on what weight is right for you.
I'm a real short ar$e:D (size 3.5 feet) and using some of the "healthy " weight ranges I'd have to get to under 7 stone to be slim. I know for me that is totally unrealistic. Lowest I've been in my adult life was 8-12 and that felt FAB!

btw- can't get my thumb and forefinger to meet round my wrist !

Take care
xx

see its not about mass, its about what the mass is.

there are 14 stone people with literally 0% fat on them, and there are 7 stone people with like 0% fat.

a person should understand their body composition and manager their weight accordingly. my rule is simple (and id like to think effective as well). forget your weight, get your thumb and your finger on sqeeze your stomach....if you can feel flab, you need to exercise and loose weight.

i realised this when i first started doing weight lifting. me and my friend were 6 stone at age 11. i then started doing weightlifting and working on my abs, and then i got to like 8 stone within a year while my friend remained at 6. yet i had decent abs (you could just about see them at that time if you looked hard enough) - flat stomach, looked and felt great. at the time i was worried, but then realised i didnt have any fat on me.

see its not about mass, its about what the mass is.

there are 14 stone people with literally 0% fat on them, and there are 7 stone people with like 0% fat.

a person should understand their body composition and manager their weight accordingly. my rule is simple (and id like to think effective as well). forget your weight, get your thumb and your finger on sqeeze your stomach....if you can feel flab, you need to exercise and loose weight.

i realised this when i first started doing weight lifting. me and my friend were 6 stone at age 11. i then started doing weightlifting and working on my abs, and then i got to like 8 stone within a year while my friend remained at 6. yet i had decent abs (you could just about see them at that time if you looked hard enough) - flat stomach, looked and felt great. at the time i was worried, but then realised i didnt have any fat on me.

I think this is a really good point :)

A lot of doctors don't rate BMI at all, and prefer the waist circumference method.

My sister has a bmi of 25.5 but is a size 10-12 and looks really slim. She is very fit though and so probably carries a bit of muscle. But according to her bmi she is overweight (only just, mind you).

I do think that as previously mentioned, everyones body composition is different. I am a size 14-16 but still need to lose another stone to get out of the 'obese' bracket. So I think I really will be very slim if and when I reach the healthy bmi weight (I need to lose another 3 stone to get there!). Whereas I know people that are a size 14 and within their healthy bmi. I find it very confusing!

yes bmi, personally i think bmi is more suited to women. because women generally have less muscle mass.

i get the impression that bmi does not take into account muslce mass. and from the people in these forums, i have found out that muscle mass does indeed weigh more than fat. the theory that bmi is outputting is saying any excess weight is negative.

you would prbably describe me as a small-medium build male, i am the probably the shortest out of my male mates. but since i started doing weight liftng and working on my abs, i have probably been the heaviest. i didnt really mind about the weight at all (although wen i first saw i was 2 stone heavier than my mate of similar build, i was pretty dam suprised).

and incase your wondering why i am on these forums now. its becasue after age 15 or so i gave up all sports and exercise and started drinking coke heavily and now i have bits of fat around my body (although you wouldnt say i was overweight by looking at me with cloths on). so now i have got alot of muscle + fat in my body, which makes me really overweight for my height. for e.g. my stomachs got fat, but if i tence my abs, i can feel them, quite well defined i must say, underneath all that flab. argh.

My mother said I had big bones, my gynaecologist said you could drive a bus through my pelvis :eek: so no problem getting baby out then! I know that at 9 st 7lbs my hip bones came round the corner before the rest of me. I felt wonderful (I was 24) but I only maintained it for 6 months. Now I think 10st 7 would be right for me. The bones make no difference, it's what covers them that makes you big. It's what I put in my mouth that makes me fat!

What Judi said about drive-through pelvises strikes a chord with me! I have... galaxy-conquering hips. The choc bar, naturally. ;)

I think that the 'big-boned' thing is really wishful thinking. Seems to be used a lot by mothers the world over, my own included. I'm a tall girl and I definitely don't have a small frame, but 'big bones' was an excuse I used for a long time for being fat. Now I realise it'd make a better excuse for looking skinny! After all, if you've a large frame, your bones should be more visible and sticky-outy.

First post, just thought I'd dive in... hi all. :)

maybe someone should comment on how much bone exactly weighs in relation to fat and muscle (we know muscle weighs more than fat)...

I KNOW I have a large frame and I am only aiming to be a size 12 as I am realistic and know I wouldn't look right if I was skinny. There is nothing wrong with being a larger build, you can be big and not fat.

i always had wide hips, even when i was a size 6-8, my hips have always been a good 10 inches bigger than my waist..

My hips and bust are both the same measurements and 10 inches bigger than my waist

Think I've become pear shaped, my bust is as big as my waist but my chest is 10 inches smaller than my waist, and about 14inches smaller than my hips lol!!

its good to use the bmi, the scales, sizes and how you feel as a guide, but if you have all the health problems like swolen ankles, shortness of breath, problems walking, problems with cholesterol because your over weight, then you should definatly lose a few pounds.

athough for me I was just a tiny bit overweight so I didnt have any of these simptoms, one day I realised that my clothes sizes were changing and that I was overeating, so I decided to control my weight and the only reason I've set a target is because I used to be at that weight and size so it is achievable.

Interesting thread!

I just found this concerning body frame and wrist/elbow measurements, and thought it may interest someone!

Body Frame

BTW, in real life KD is well skinny, just with a big head, enormous feet and stupidly large hands!:p

Thanks for that link, Becky. Really interesting! I never knew that the categories on small/med/large frame allowed for bigger bones depending on height. I thought it was fixed so that most tall people were automatically larger framed, if that makes sense.

Can't quite get the hang of taking an elbow measurement, but according to the wrist thing I'm small framed... astonishes me because I've always felt I was built like a brick outhouse with size 8 feet, giant hip bones, and hands designed for Rachmaninov.

Consider me perplexed.

I'm still a little confused as if you are overweight your measurements will be bigger anyway?!

Back