Big Boys Need Love Too!

Jeez, just reading that exhausted me. LOL

LOL, no worries love.

Jim I could do with your help! I turned on my computer, signed in to my user and got a message come up saying that the wrong key code for windows so I closed down and restarted. This time when I logged in it went onto my setting but this message is in the bottom right corner:

Windows Vista (TM)
Build 6000
This copy of Windows is not genuine

WTF??? I have had my laptop just over a year and the Windows was already on here, I've never had trouble with it. What does that mean? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllp

do you have a reinstallation disk with your laptop taz? usually they sort out things like this... failing that there's things you can get to make your machine realise that it's windows is genuine but to be honest i don't have one and i don't know if they are to be used with genuine windows or whether they are just cracks for non-genuine operating systems... so i haven't been much help have i really...

is everything else still on there? can you access all your files etc? because if you can i would back up the things you want to keep... just in case...

abz xx

Thanks for the advice Abz I will do a backup now. If Jim doesn't have any ideas I may take it to the computer shop

Jim - You'll get used to Jenn and love her like we all do but it won't stop you being exhausted at the end of her posts.

I've been having computer fun all day too. I thought I'd just quickly sort out my Norton renewal this morning and went into it and got the choice of 3 different download packages, so chose the two year jobbo and paid for it. Then as it was downloading it directed me to a web page and said I needed to renew. When I followed the instructions it wanted me to pay for a renewal BUT I HAD ALREADY PAID FOR A TWO YEAR UPGRADE.

I tried everything to get round it and sort it out then this evening I managed to get into Norton Technical Chat where someone called Rajesh sorted it all out for me and I'm up and running. It was a relief cos for a while all my internet security was knocked out and I didn't wanna take the risk.

I'm hoping to have a good productive day tomorrow and get loads done cos today was a bit of a non-starter being tied up with the Norton fiasco.

Morning all, I am the first again!

Kay, welcome to 'big boys' you don't have to read the whole thread just pick up from here. We just chat really. Nice to meet you x

Gem, I have to renew my Norton but when I went to the sire they wanted £65 for me to renew it! I can buy it in WH Smiths for £30!!! So that is what I am going to do. the other problem seems to have gone now. Weird machine!

Morning all.

Welcome Kay.

Will catch up later.

Have a good one. x x

turn it off and on again taz :D there's a chap that tells people to 'cycle the power' here as he thinks it doesn't sound as dumb... i think it sounds pretentious and the office chaps kind of go 'huh?'. ha. it's one of the first things we do in almost all the problems we encounter here :)

glad it's sorted though babes.

abz xx

I restarted twice yesterday as the first 2 times I turned it on it wouldn't let me in without selecting an option, none of which I wanted to choose! The 3rd time I turned it on it logged in ok but with the message in the bottom corner. This morning I logged on with no problems and no message so it all seems to be fine!

I have WI this morning and hoping for no more than a 1lb gain. Also, I am hoping the pool has reopened. They said the repairs would be complete end of march and the tests would be complete early April. Last week they had uncovered and filled the pool and it looked like people were cleaning so hopefully it will either be open today or there will be a date for it to open

Good morning everyone :)

Welcome Kay. Good to meet you on Big Boys. Stick around for the chat, we're a friendly bunch and chat for England and a few other countries besides.

The weight gain goes on for some reason despite being really good yesterday. I think the joint pain is probably a clue - I am retaining water. For a couple of days I haven't drank as much as I normally do and on Monday I actually felt bloated. My skin is quite puffy and tender if I put pressure on it and my joints ache - remember the neck and shoulder pain at the weekend (thankfully gone now).

I will make an effort to drink water today to get rid of the problem and perhaps the scales will be kind to me tomorrow. On a normal week I would have either sts or lost a pound or so, having eaten as I have.

Taz - I got my norton online from source and paid £74.99 for two years. It is an upgraded product and I got a remote session on with their chat tecnician last night who, I have to admit was fantastic. It is now up and running and working properly. Scarey session though - at one point he asked to take over the desk top as I couldn't provide all the answers. It was very transparent and I could see what he was doing. I had the option to end the session at any time I felt unhappy with it. I was really pleased with the service - it was just getting through the initial barriers yesterday that took the time.

I'm off to the hair dresser this morning so I should look a bit better later today - but then it is April fools so I could come out looking strange :eek:

Have a great day everyone :)

Yeah I'm not too happy with WI on April fools day either!

I can't afford £75 Gem but it works out cheaper to just buy a new one. I probably could do with upgrading though as I tried to do a backup last night and it said there wasn't enough space. Which is weird cus my laptop has a 2gb memory and my Norton is also 2gb!?!?

Morning Jools and Abz. I took so long writing my post (text messages in between) that you got in before me haha!!

I'm pleased with it now Taz and glad I haven't got to go through all this for another two years. I like to know both computers are secure x

i have all sorts of things on mine, ha. my pc came with mcafee so i have that, i have avg and adaware and one other thing that escapes me at the moment, but i didn't have to pay for any of them... so it's all good :)

abz xx

Can you do chat on your version of Norton - they might be able to talk you through the back-up thing. I was very impressed with the session I had last night. When in started off I was number 79 in the queue but it went down quick and I could watch tele while I waited. Once it was my turn it was a bit like MSN A level version. A real person asked questions and analysed the problem, got me to do stuff and then took over the desktop and sorted out the last few gremlins. It really put my mind at rest knowing it had been done properly.

it's fun taking over people's desktops gem... but it's disconcerting the first time it happens to you!!

abz xx

I used to use avg and adaware - it was quite good but I had a problem and decided to tie both computers up in with a more robust security system. I've got them on a network and I think it gives extra wireless security.

Back