Binge Eaters Support group?

I really wish I had the answer. My last three days have turned into nothing but Eating. emma do you have any resources that you can share?

me too! I was steadily put on weight since I went to uni (not the uni lifestyle though, it was emotional eating) but when I fell pregnant I started binge eating. The father & me split up & I was destroyed. I had very bad sickness with it so I would eat knowing I would be sick. (how disgusting is that) I was exercising a lot when I was pregnant so i put on little weight apart. Then when my son was born I did stop for about 2months but there so was much damn chocolate in the house from well wishers, only this time it was staying.

I have got over my issues since then & I feel really content in myself again (apart from my weight) but now its more a habit than a comfort i think. :(

Missamy I am really sorry you are feeling so low. Being so tired your body must have craved sugar which is why you had a binge. I have managed to stick to slimming world all week but today found half a bag of kettle chips and scoffed them quickly and now feel bad too. It is so hard to control the urges. I totally understand how you are feeling now. Guilt mainly I would suspect.:(

I went to bed in the end to stop me eating any more. Lol
You probably right about the tiredness thing. Done seven days straight with 3.30am alarm clock. Due to other commitments its been around, 11pm before I've been to bed.

I just find it so stupid.
I have a always had a house full of snacks for my boyfriend. There must be around thirty packets of his crisps, and i have a whole drawer of chocolates in all different sorts.
And although I like them all i told my brain they're his and haven't touched them.
I buy something for me and bloody eat it all.

I can totally relate to all this. Tonight I've taken myself to bed to try and stop me from binging, and coming across this has helped so thanks. Ive binged for years, but over the last year or so it's got a lot worse. It's like I have the good and bad voice in my head one telling me not to and the other telling me sod it, start the diet tomorrow, except tomorrow never comes! I can easily eat a whole cake, a multipack of chocolate, several packs of crisps and copious amounts of bread and butter (my fav) in one session. I've put 4 stone on in just over a year and as much as I hate myself for it, it doesn't stop me from binging, in fact getting on the scales and seeing that I've put weight on makes me eat more! However I will not give up and for probably the 20th time in the last 10 years started ww on Saturday. So far so good, although the extra 49 points only lasted a day! Sorry for the waffle, this is my first post on here. It's just nice to know I'm not alone x

acid are you doing weight watchers? I found I could not cope with it at all and ended up binging as the portion sizes were so small. I am doing slimming world now and can eat more on it which helps stop the urges.

Acid. Bread and butter was my biggie too. I know only buy wholemeal bread and freeze it which removes the temptation to stuff.

I calorie count as i find it easiest for me.

Yes I'm doing weight watchers. Ive done both diets several times and calorie counting (and slim fast, atkins, fasting, u name it). I did used to like sw, but started eating way too much of all the things u shld limit really, like pasta and potatoes, and didn't feel I was getting enough syns for my chocolate fix. At least with ww I can have a couple of bars a day and still have plenty of points for real food. Tonight I had my tea, followed by a chocolate bar and bed. I think that's just the way it'll have to be if I'm not exercising, bed and minimins!

Oh I truly feel for you as the binge cycle can be so hard to break, I've spent almost my lifetime battling with the urges to binge. I have had a great deal of insight into the binge eating disorder for years but sadly insight alone is often not enough to break the cycle, I tried and tried, read everything up on binge eating, went through various therapies yet my binges just got worse and I got bigger and bigger to boot. I believe the only reason I am managing to get the upper hand over the binges finally now is the DBT therapy as its all about learning new skills and discovering new ways of coping, one of the modules is on distress tolerance and that has been so helpful in learning that there are other options to having a binge, something I never truly believed until now.

I will try and find a web link which looks at the modules covered by DBT. Em

Last edited:
DBT

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/emotion_regulation_overview.html

the above links may be worth checking out, they will give you a good insight into what DBT is and how it can help you change the way you handle situations. The above links both cover all the modules I am doing in the Dialectical behaviour therapy and they are 1. mindfulness, 2.distress tolerance, 3.emotional regulation and finally 4. interpersonal effectiveness. All the information you get here is basically what I am working my way through in the DBT sessions at my local eating disorder clinic, DBT is about practical skills though so it will not help you if you just read if through its something that has to be put into practice on a daily basis, making small changes all the time, pushing yourself as much as you can to turn things around, the self help element of DBT through such sites as above could be of use to many people. I know in my therapy much emphasis is put on self help as its you who has to put the skills into practice. Em xx

Last edited:
thanks em!

God it's so hard trying not to binge I was doing so well since I last posted then a had a binge not masive in comparison to my usual binges! But I am so disappointed in myself! I had lost 6 pound in the last two weeks and then i ate naughty food yesterday at a party where i ate trigger foods! i relise i cant have a few of anything just cold turkey for me i think! How is everyonelse getting on? Any tips? Xx

Hi u0167 how difficult to be at a party surrounded by all that food and not binge. No wonder you did. I would have done the same. When you lost the six pounds did you starve to do it? If so then no wonder you binged.

Until a few weeks ago i wud just binge/ not eat/ or do ridiculously strict diets like the egg diet! but i have actually been adressing my problem and talking about it! So its the first time in my whole life i have managed to calorie count and do exercize to loose the weight my partner has been really good now i have told him the whole truth and how bad the situation really has been over the last few years!! i have joined a team sport and it was a bit of a wake up call when i got beat by a 62 year old then the following week a 15 year old! But then it was just really hard this weekend with the party i ate trigger foods then that was it scoffed all day sunday aswell and didnt go swimming! There has been a change though! After i ate it i felt soo guilty! Which is new becos normally i literally just wouldnt think just eat and feel a bit numb! I weighed today and the damage has been 1 pound i can Completely live with that becos i can put 6 pound On in a really bad week or After a really strict diet! I just cant be trusted yet around/ have trigger foods. I know its not going to be easy but i am Going to realy try again this week! Do you just avoid those foods that triger a binge altogether?

Oh those strict diets are just going to force you to binge! Well done for stopping that vicious cycle. I am so pleased your partner has been so supportive. That is what will be essential to you getting over this. Well done for joining a sports team. That was very brave of you. I do tend to avoid foods that trigger a binge such as a bigger pack of crisps. No way can I have a few or biscuits. No way can I have a few.

Hi everyone,

u016718, well done for the loss recently! 6lbs in a fortnight is impressive!

I've been absolutely appalling for over a month now.
I stopped going to Slimming World meetings because there was a change of group instructor and I missed a few meetings because I had other commitments and couldn't afford to pay £15 for the missed ones!

Added to this I've had a really difficult couple of months so I think I've put on about 7lbs in the past 3 weeks. I ate almost a whole loaf of bread yesterday, about 4 portions of quorn lasagne, crisps, a yorkie, meringues etc. The day before I ate 3 bags of maltesters, crisps, chocolate. Until recently I was running for an hour a day which was keeping my weight constant but I've got problems with my calf muscles so that's gone out the window!

I think I'm binge-eating because: a. I'm unhappy and stressed, b. I'm bored, c. It's a sort of self-harm- I don't usually want the food and sometimes I actually have the intention of hurting myself by being fatter and more miserable!!

What are the main reasons that you all binge?

xx

Amelie24 said:
What are the main reasons that you all binge?

On a simple level boredom.

Getting more complex;

My Mother had anorexia/bulimia when i was younger, she also had issues with me for some reason. I was the oldest and she resented me for some reason. Whenever her and my Dad rowed she blamed me, and told me she wished i had never been born.
Anyway food was a major battle. We were never allowed treats, or what kids class fun nice food. When i used to have friends around she used to feed them 'nice' children food like chips, pizza nuggets etc. For me she'd serve lentils, salad, veggies and tell my friends that "Amy can't have nice food as she's too fat". Never allowed food i wanted, not even as a treat.
This happened from about the age of seven and continued on. I remember bringing my first boyfriend home and she asked him why someone as good looking as him was with someone as fat and ugly as me. I wasn't at that time, i was a normal teenage girl.

Anyway, food became my release. I'd spent all my pocket money of junk; crisps, chocolate and cakes. It was forbidden which made it taste so much better. I'd buy bags full and scoff it down.

From about 13 years old i started to self harm by cutting myself. And over eating sort of filled the same role. It made me feel better, it disgusted my mother and put me in control.

I haven't self harmed for about nine years but I'm finding the binge cycle much harder to break.

Embarrassing. X

Hi everyone. I've just joined to forum today, really could do with some support. I've lost 3 stone, really pleased about that. But I need to lose 1 more stone to get to my goal. But I definitely have a problem with binge eating, I know it is stopping me reaching my goal weight!!! It's SO frustrating! I'm fine in the day, counting calories etc. I eat really healthily in the day. as soon as evening comes, it all goes wrong!! I just can't control myself!? hoping some support on here will help me break this binging habit.

Back