Binge Eaters Support group?

MissAmy thank you for sharing your story. You are so brave. Your mother was so cruel to you. It angers me to hear the way she treated you and names she called you. I want to give you a hug. Your story is not embarrassing at all so please do not think that. Well done for managing not to self harm for nine years! That is fantastic progress. You should feel really proud of yourself for that.

Hi everyone. I've just joined to forum today, really could do with some support. I've lost 3 stone, really pleased about that. But I need to lose 1 more stone to get to my goal. But I definitely have a problem with binge eating, I know it is stopping me reaching my goal weight!!! It's SO frustrating! I'm fine in the day, counting calories etc. I eat really healthily in the day. as soon as evening comes, it all goes wrong!! I just can't control myself!? hoping some support on here will help me break this binging habit.
Well done for losing three stone! That is fantastic. Rather then count calories why not try something like slimming world? I could never count calories. That way you can eat at night without worrying about losing weight.

I binge eat when I am tired,sad,lonely,bored. It all started when I was in a miserable relationship. I tried to get help going to the doctor twice but they just told me to eat better and exercise. I actually feel angry about that because if they would have helped me I would not have become so big. They should recognise an eating disorder and not fob somebody off with telling them to exercise. There is much more help for people who under eat and hardly any for people who over eat.

fatplop said:
Well done for losing three stone! That is fantastic. Rather then count calories why not try something like slimming world? I could never count calories. That way you can eat at night without worrying about losing weight.

I've never thought about slimming world, i will definitely look into that, thank you. I think I need to try something else, calorie counting drives me mad sometimes!! :( I started the night time binging when my partner started working nights. The children go to bed, he goes off to work, and I go to the kitchen!! :( I've got to do something about this, I've got one more stone to lose to get to my goal and I know this is what is stopping me getting there. Its ridiculous, ive been trying to lose this stone for a year. I'm hoping the motivation on here will help me break the habit.

I've never thought about slimming world, i will definitely look into that, thank you. I think I need to try something else, calorie counting drives me mad sometimes!! :( I started the night time binging when my partner started working nights. The children go to bed, he goes off to work, and I go to the kitchen!! :( I've got to do something about this, I've got one more stone to lose to get to my goal and I know this is what is stopping me getting there. Its ridiculous, ive been trying to lose this stone for a year. I'm hoping the motivation on here will help me break the habit.

I find slimming world helps me as I can eat a lot of the free foods. I also have huge portions of dinner which fills me for longer. No way could I count calories like you have been doing. That would drive me insane. With slimming world you are allowed treats too which means you do not feel you are 'dieting'. You only have one stone to lose. That is fantastic.

fatplop said:
I binge eat when I am tired,sad,lonely,bored. It all started when I was in a miserable relationship. I tried to get help going to the doctor twice but they just told me to eat better and exercise. I actually feel angry about that because if they would have helped me I would not have become so big. They should recognise an eating disorder and not fob somebody off with telling them to exercise. There is much more help for people who under eat and hardly any for people who over eat.

So sorry to hear about the lack of help from your doctors, that's terrible :( I think with doctors, it's luck that you get one that actually listens and wants to help.

fatplop said:
I find slimming world helps me as I can eat a lot of the free foods. I also have huge portions of dinner which fills me for longer. No way could I count calories like you have been doing. That would drive me insane. With slimming world you are allowed treats too which means you do not feel you are 'dieting'. You only have one stone to lose. That is fantastic.

I'm not very good with treats though I'm afraid. I find that if I have a small piece of chocolate, I end up eating loads!! I can't control myself and have just one. Sounds terrible, I know. So I do better when I just go without.

I'm not very good with treats though I'm afraid. I find that if I have a small piece of chocolate, I end up eating loads!! I can't control myself and have just one. Sounds terrible, I know. So I do better when I just go without.
I am the same so I save my syns and have a big bar of Green and Blacks as it satisfies me more. I do not think any binge eater can have a little bit of chocolate!

Until a few weeks ago i wud just binge/ not eat/ or do ridiculously strict diets like the egg diet! but i have actually been adressing my problem and talking about it! So its the first time in my whole life i have managed to calorie count and do exercize to loose the weight my partner has been really good now i have told him the whole truth and how bad the situation really has been over the last few years!! i have joined a team sport and it was a bit of a wake up call when i got beat by a 62 year old then the following week a 15 year old! But then it was just really hard this weekend with the party i ate trigger foods then that was it scoffed all day sunday aswell and didnt go swimming! There has been a change though! After i ate it i felt soo guilty! Which is new becos normally i literally just wouldnt think just eat and feel a bit numb! I weighed today and the damage has been 1 pound i can Completely live with that becos i can put 6 pound On in a really bad week or After a really strict diet! I just cant be trusted yet around/ have trigger foods. I know its not going to be easy but i am Going to realy try again this week! Do you just avoid those foods that triger a binge altogether?

I have been doing SW and was doing really well and after a while got a little complacent - I know wheat is a trigger for me, as is processed sugar (eg biscuits of kitkats etc) but for some reason I can usually keep off the sugar easier than the wheat. Anyhow, I started to max my bread/crackers etc within the plan - having 3 slices of Dunnes better for you bread as my HEB and doing green days so I got to have this twice if I wanted plus used my syns on Tuc crackers. Add this to potataoes, pasta or rice for my main meal with veg and my carb overload was through the roof. Plus no weight loss but I justified it with "well I'm sticking to plan". Fact is I was skipping breakfast and carb binging all day long.
So yesterday I started again and I just going to stay away from wheat as much as I can (and also wheat substitutes). I think for me - a little of what you fancy does not work - as I can't stop at a little.

I cannot stop at a little either. :(
and you know it's not lack of will power usually - it's to do with insulin resistance. Some people can naturally eat as much sugar as they want without significant weight gain, for others it's just toxic. Sadly, I am in the toxic category (wholewheat bread has a similar reaction on the body to table sugar if you are insulin resistant or diabetic).
And it's addictive. Thankfully, it doesn't take long for physical symptoms to alleviate - perhaps 2 weeks but there is a psychological/society driven addiction as well. A few people have said - what will you eat if you don't have wheat, as it's such a huge part of our daily lives but there's tons of other stuff for me if I just make the choice.
But you know - I can do this. You can do this. We all can.

Small regular meals is what seems to be working with me. I probably eat about six times a day. Three meals and then the rest as snacks.
I'm trying to make my snacks something that keeps me full and my blood suger stable.
So I'll have choc philly on toast rather that a choc bar. Or chocolate peanut butter.
If i have a yoghurt i will throw a handful of oats in. And often some frozen berries.
I often have wholewheat cracker bread or rice cakes with EL phillidelphia rather than crisps.
I have an air popper for corn if really want to snack.

Saying that nothing is forbidden. I don't by multi packs of my crisps anymore as they were a binge trigger. But the house is full of my BFs crisps and i have a whole drawer of chocolate.
I'm not watching my carbs, as i bloody love carbs but i am eating less probably as my portions are smaller.
Slimming World wouldn't work for me. The free food is still pretty calorific and i would just eat it too excess.

Thanks for starting this thread! I've been around here for years, with sucesss, got down to size 14 clothes the summer before last and now I'm up to a 20 again. My heaviest ever I was wearing 22/24 and could see that looming up again. Anyway, I've not got time for a proper intro, but I've a couple of blogs and gazzillions of posts if anyone wants to find out about me (unlikely!).

I'm so glad I had the courage to log in today and found this. My heart goes out for all your stories, your bravery in sharing, and determination to keep going.My for now, I'll be back

Micci xxx

Hi All

I have read through everyone's post's and can completey related to everything, i have struggled with my weight most of my life and a few years ago i joined weight watchers and nearly lost 3 stone. Then stopped going and rejoined so many times. Then i tried slimming world but never stick to anything. My weight is creeping back up to what it was which is horrendous as i feel like a fat mess. Over the last 2 yrs ive been the happiess ive been in a loong time due to meeting my partner and recently he proposed and im over the moon. But why cant i stop eating? Im eating on the sly and say every week right this is me back on the diet but never stick to it for more than a day ive no will power or modivation in me and its really getting me down. Anyone any suggestions as i dunno what i can do as i never stick to anything and im a big binger.

Angie x

Angie3 said:
Hi All

I have read through everyone's post's and can completey related to everything, i have struggled with my weight most of my life and a few years ago i joined weight watchers and nearly lost 3 stone. Then stopped going and rejoined so many times. Then i tried slimming world but never stick to anything. My weight is creeping back up to what it was which is horrendous as i feel like a fat mess. Over the last 2 yrs ive been the happiess ive been in a loong time due to meeting my partner and recently he proposed and im over the moon. But why cant i stop eating? Im eating on the sly and say every week right this is me back on the diet but never stick to it for more than a day ive no will power or modivation in me and its really getting me down. Anyone any suggestions as i dunno what i can do as i never stick to anything and im a big binger.

Angie x

Hi Angie,

Do you have any binge triggers? I find that evenings, sat in front of the tv is deadly for me. I just can't stop myself going to the kitchen :( so I've started turning everything off and going upstairs to watch tv, or read etc. I find that this is helping as it is taking me away from my trigger. If you know what a trigger is for you, it might be a good idea to try to do something else at those times.
Good luck, Katherine x

Hi katherine, it seems to b when im sitting watching tv as u say or when everyones out im straight into the fridge its like i shudnt b left alone. But i got stuck into cleaning last night and the night before and that help and tonight i took my mum shopping which means i was safe from eating. Mayb i shud try and keep myself busy at all times. Why do we do these things to ourselves when we hate the outcome and aftermath?

Angie x

Angie3 said:
Hi katherine, it seems to b when im sitting watching tv as u say or when everyones out im straight into the fridge its like i shudnt b left alone. But i got stuck into cleaning last night and the night before and that help and tonight i took my mum shopping which means i was safe from eating. Mayb i shud try and keep myself busy at all times. Why do we do these things to ourselves when we hate the outcome and aftermath?

Angie x

Hi Angie,

If keeping busy helps, that's great! It's good you found something that helps :)
it's so strange, food is like a drug!! I just can't stop and it takes so much strength to say no sometimes. I can't even taste a piece of chocolate, if I do it almost triggers something in me and I will eat so much chocolate to the point that I feel sick :( many mornings I have felt so sad and ashamed at what i ate the night before. And nobody knows, i eat in secret too. :( I tell myself that's it! Never again! Then evening comes and I'm eating again. It's terrible, like you say, that we do these things that make us sad and dislike the way we look.
I havn't eaten anything tonight, trying not to eat after 8pm. Hope you are doing well, keep busy! :) you can do it! I read it takes 30 days to break a habit, don't know if thats true or not, so be strong for 30 days and then the bad, binging habits should be gone! That's what I'm aiming for! Maybe when you get the urge to eat, have a read on here. I found that helps too :) take care! Katherine x

Seriously food is like a drug! I binge if I eat any form of trigger foods. I gave myself a real talking to this week as i felt utterly ridiculous! My boyfriend is a submarina and is on a naval base so he works away during the week then back at weekends then goes away for three months of the year where we can't even speak on the phone. When I last binged he was back I hadn't seen him for a few days he came back early and I knew there would be no naughty eating whilst he was home (he is been very supportive and doing what I asked) so despite been good for the week I panicked because I wasn't going to be able to binge which makes no sence) so i went shopping told my boyfriend I was visiting my mum when I knew it would be unlikely and binged in her kitchen and I was sitting their absolutely alone when I should have been with my boyfriend. I just felt the loneliest I think I have ever felt! I also feel most embarrassed about my job I am an assistant psychologist training to be a (clinical psychologist one day) and I can't even help myself! I am soon to be doing a session on healthy eating and life style post stroke in a months time and I feel like an absolute hypocrite!! It looks so bad that I can't help myself because I am good at my job but my weight just totally undermines my ability. How has everyonelse gotten on this week? I have been using the "my fitness plan" App it has helpd because I forced myself to include my binge so the next time I wanted a chocolate bar I forced myself to look at that and was like yer definitely had enough chocolate bars for the month! The only thing it does is over estimate calories for exercise!

Back