Binge Eaters Support group?

I am also doing slimming world. I do the green days as I am a vegetarian. It was nice your husband cooked for you. How are you finding the plan? My weight loss is really slowing down now.

Ah I can see your info now :)

I do mostly green too, I'm not veggie, but not a big meat-eater. Plus I like my extra HE's! I really do think SW is a good plan. My loss has also slowed down, but I think I am just more complacent. I find I am buying less and less fresh fruit and veg, and slipping up more often. This time of year always makes me want to overeat and make bad choices. I am upping my water intake today, I read that most binge eaters don't drink enough! Plus its generally good for me :)

It is harder to find fruit now and when it is cold it is not something enjoyable is it? I know what you are saying there. However, I am glad it is not hot so I can hide my body! Slimming world is good but I am sure people seem to lose more on red days. I find it hard to stick to my syns too. How do you find it?

It is harder to find fruit now and when it is cold it is not something enjoyable is it? I know what you are saying there. However, I am glad it is not hot so I can hide my body! Slimming world is good but I am sure people seem to lose more on red days. I find it hard to stick to my syns too. How do you find it?

Haha I only did red once for a week and I gained 2lbs! I think everyone is different. I think its best to do whichever plan you like the food of most really, makes it easier to stick to. I also prefer this weather and winter clothes (not that I have any!). I find it hard to stick to my syns too, I try my best though. I just had a minimilk ice lolly for my treat, would prefer a kit kat chunky or 3, but hey ho :)

i cant believe how many of us there is out there....im a terrible bing eater and mine is triggered with low moods/depression...then it becomes a vicious circle...i joined sw last thursday and today is the day i am wanting to binge gone over my syns quite a bit and now feel so peed off bout it.....struggling to ignore that need to eat....and it in turn is making feel so depressed and fed up....no wonder i fail on diets

bma123 I did the same. I went over my syns and keep doing it as I cannot seem to stop once I start. It really is so difficult. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for you and you can start afresh.

It really is a viscious cycle, I can't stop once I start! Then my body has cravings the next day from all the sugar and junk. so I keep bingeing. Its like I'm not there anymore and someone else is controlling me.

Wishing us all a good day tomorrow xxx

That is so true. Once it happens it is so hard to go back to eating normally. Also once I blow slimming world I know I will have put on weight so even if I try hard for the rest of the time I will still have gained.

That is so true. Once it happens it is so hard to go back to eating normally. Also once I blow slimming world I know I will have put on weight so even if I try hard for the rest of the time I will still have gained.

Its so easy to undo a good week, but at least by having good days we help to even it out a bit, and lessen the gain. Sometimes thats the best we can do :)

Yes you are right there. You have done so well though. It is taking me ages and I have a lot to lose!

I went 5 months without bingeing, up until August. My weight just yoyos now, and quite wildly at that. 4lbs on some weeks. You're nealry in the 15s, I remember how great that felt! Hang in there and you will soon catch me up :)

Do you write down a food diary? That has been my "homework" from my support group. To record not only what I have eaten, but where, what time, how I was feeling and whether I consider it to be a binge or not. The idea is to play detective to see if there are any patterns. I starve myself for days, then binge. I usually eat nothing all day until the evening. This habits increase the likelihood of me bingeing, so I am focussing on eating more regularly.

I can post anything I get from the support group here over the weeks and see if it helps anyone.

Five months! Wow amazing! I have written food diarys many times. I am okay once I stick to slimming world but I find the syns not enough. I do not have 15 a day but rather think of it as 105 a week. I go to a coffee shop and have a muffin and that is 30 then I may have another and thats them almost gone! How do you do your syns?

Thank you for creating this thread, I have read through it all and am amazed how many of us binge eat. I've been doing it for years but only recently recognised that I am.

Once I start I just can't stop, I do it in secret, sometimes if my husband just pops upstairs I'll run in the kitchen and scoff what I can as quickly as I can before he comes down again.

A few months ago I sort of confessed to him when that secret eaters programme was on tv, but I didn't go into much detail so don't think he realises how serious it is.

After having a bit of a cry reading these posts I think I am going to have to confess all to him tonight. The reason I say tonight is tomorrow he is a Late shift and I always binge eat when I am on my own in the evenings.. Because I can!

I had lost 3 stone on SW however went on holiday in April and gained 11.5lbs.. It was almost like I could eat whatever I wanted and not feel bad as we were all inclusive and everyone was being glutinous.. The problem is I can't get it off again! I'll be really good for days and then BANG I go mad and undo all the hard work.

I'm now panicking as in less than a month we're going away again all inclusive and I really don't want to gain what I did then, how am I going to stop myself?!

I do shift work and in some ways this helps, as long as I don't give in to having something naughty I can do a Late shift and get through the whole day totally on plan.. If I can avoid devouring a whole packet of biscuits or whatever on the journey home even better!

Sorry if I've bored you all, I am going to look at the links and website suggestion people have left above x

Five months! Wow amazing! I have written food diarys many times. I am okay once I stick to slimming world but I find the syns not enough. I do not have 15 a day but rather think of it as 105 a week. I go to a coffee shop and have a muffin and that is 30 then I may have another and thats them almost gone! How do you do your syns?

I have mine as 15 a day, if I had 105 a week, I would probably eat all of them on day 1! Its better to go over my syns a little each day than to use them all up at once, or else I just feel too deprived and eat worse. I avoid things like muffins as much as possible, and don't use my syns for things so calorie-dense, as I am always hungry I go for things that are filling. Things like biscuits/cakes I only eat during binges. My support group think I should incorporate them so that I don't feel deprived and binge on them, but its a tough call!

Thank you for creating this thread, I have read through it all and am amazed how many of us binge eat. I've been doing it for years but only recently recognised that I am.

Once I start I just can't stop, I do it in secret, sometimes if my husband just pops upstairs I'll run in the kitchen and scoff what I can as quickly as I can before he comes down again.

A few months ago I sort of confessed to him when that secret eaters programme was on tv, but I didn't go into much detail so don't think he realises how serious it is.

After having a bit of a cry reading these posts I think I am going to have to confess all to him tonight. The reason I say tonight is tomorrow he is a Late shift and I always binge eat when I am on my own in the evenings.. Because I can!

I had lost 3 stone on SW however went on holiday in April and gained 11.5lbs.. It was almost like I could eat whatever I wanted and not feel bad as we were all inclusive and everyone was being glutinous.. The problem is I can't get it off again! I'll be really good for days and then BANG I go mad and undo all the hard work.

I'm now panicking as in less than a month we're going away again all inclusive and I really don't want to gain what I did then, how am I going to stop myself?!

I do shift work and in some ways this helps, as long as I don't give in to having something naughty I can do a Late shift and get through the whole day totally on plan.. If I can avoid devouring a whole packet of biscuits or whatever on the journey home even better!

Sorry if I've bored you all, I am going to look at the links and website suggestion people have left above x

You certainly haven't bored me :) I wish I could advise you on the holiday, I would find that extremely difficult, its a situation where its socially acceptable to overeat. I think you have done amazingly well so far, and I would focus on that. If you go all out like last time, you'd be back in the 15s, and that would be so frustrating, and all the harder to lose it again. I think damage limitation is the key. I'd say to myself "on these days, I can have drinks... on these days I can have desserts... on these days I am going to food optimise..." Easier said than done, I know! If you have a plan, and stick to it, you will hopefully feel proud, even if you do have a gain it will be less than it could have been.

well, on Sunday I binged, but it wasn't anything like I would have done just a few weeks ago. I know I still fell at the first hurdle by binging, but feel like I am learning a little bit if I managed to curb myself somewhat ....

Hi Psyence, sometimes its the babysteps we need to focus on. A smaller binge is an achievement, even though it always feels like a failure. You're going in the right direction :) Do you know what triggered the binge?

If course you have not bored anybody. You have done so well to lose three stone. That is fantastic. I do think you need to tell your husband how much this is effecting your life and say the difficulty you have with an all you can eat holiday. There is no way I could ever control myself with all that food. I would eat until I threw up. I think that is putting yourself into too much temptation and it is best avoided. I really hope it goes well when you tell your husband and he understands. It is something I have found not many people really do understand.

well, on Sunday I binged, but it wasn't anything like I would have done just a few weeks ago. I know I still fell at the first hurdle by binging, but feel like I am learning a little bit if I managed to curb myself somewhat ....
Well done on not binging as much as you would have. That shows you have been able to exercise some control. :)

lottiebird said:
You certainly haven't bored me :) I wish I could advise you on the holiday, I would find that extremely difficult, its a situation where its socially acceptable to overeat. I think you have done amazingly well so far, and I would focus on that. If you go all out like last time, you'd be back in the 15s, and that would be so frustrating, and all the harder to lose it again. I think damage limitation is the key. I'd say to myself "on these days, I can have drinks... on these days I can have desserts... on these days I am going to food optimise..." Easier said than done, I know! If you have a plan, and stick to it, you will hopefully feel proud, even if you do have a gain it will be less than it could have been.

That sounds like a fab plan, I would be totally gutted to be back in the 15's as I'm only just clinging onto the 14's.

I suppose if I go with a plan I've got more chance of not gaining too much weight.

Need to keep the upper hand and perhaps just think I'll stick to plan as best I can rather than just have one bad day and blow the whole holiday, or try and keep to plan for at least one meal a day.

Thank you x

fatplop said:
If course you have not bored anybody. You have done so well to lose three stone. That is fantastic. I do think you need to tell your husband how much this is effecting your life and say the difficulty you have with an all you can eat holiday. There is no way I could ever control myself with all that food. I would eat until I threw up. I think that is putting yourself into too much temptation and it is best avoided. I really hope it goes well when you tell your husband and he understands. It is something I have found not many people really do understand.

It's so true, people really don't understand, not that I tell people but you can just judge their reactions to things in the media etc and slagging people off to know they wouldn't understand.

I think it was a bad idea to go on an all inclusive and perhaps after I've seen how this one goes need to go back to the holidays we usually have where I have more control on food.

I will definitely talk to him tonight and tell him how bad it really is rather than laugh when I told him before so I don't think he took it seriously.

Thanks so much you two x

Psyence said:

Well done, baby steps is the way we can get there x

I have started reading "Overcoming binge eating" by Christopher Fairburn. I read the first few chapters last night, its an interesting read. The second half of the book is a self-help programme. I had a browse through it, but didn't start it yet. It was only a fiver 2nd hand on amazon, and from what I have read already, well worth it.

Step 1 is the same as my homework from my support group: Record everything you eat, where, when, whether a binge and how you were feeling. I haven't been doing my homework :( I am going to read the self help section properly tonight, and determine myself to start recording this information throughout the day. Fingers crossed I notice some interesting trends.

My eating today has been in control, and I am feeling safe about being home alone for the first time in months :D

How are you gals getting on today?

Back