Binge eating :(. Any tips please? fellow bingers?

Amelie24

So I started Slimming world and had two successful weeks where I lost 7.5 pounds but then I end up thinking about all the lovely things I want to eat and have an urge to eat huge quantities and I feel insatiably hungry until I've binged :(

Today I've had 2 mars ice creams, a wispa, a yorkie, crisps and meringues, which is much more controlled than some of the week but I know it's far too much (I think I'd had enough calories or slimming world syns after just eating the wispa!)

I just wondered if anyone else here had this problem? and how you cope with it while dieting?

xx

I always have atleast 1 binge day during a diet! Its the worst feeling after Its horrible. Try chewing gum, or if your really craving chocolate, have a hot chocolate! I dont know If you can get weight watchers ones but I know you can get low calorie ones. Someone told me that hot chocolate lines your stomach so it helps you feel full, plus you get that sneaky choccie hit!

I am a binger too. I have managed to get it under control a little but I wish I could give you a tip which would stop binging forever. I think it's just a food daemon that some of us really struggle with. Do you know what it is that triggers your binges? Maybe try and focus on that and work harder on the days you're doing really well to compensate when you fall off the wagon so that you feel less like you're a failure.

I wish I could be more help! Do you have a diary? Sometimes I write an essay on mine rather than fall face first into a cake

Kate x

I binge on sweet things! I find that if I deprive myself completely at some point I just turn into a machine and just eat everything, I don't even have time to enjoy it!
Recently I've been having small amounts of sweet things throughout the day that I've worked out are low in calories (such as sorbet or mini chocolate bars) and I haven't binged in ages. When I have them I really savour them and somehow it's worked.
Hope you find something that works for you!

Thanks Vixster, I'll try the hot chocolate trick! I've had a week and a day of bingeing now and put on a lot of weight in those 8 days! (apparently 1000+ extra calories a day will do that!)

KateR, I'll try and brainstorm reasons for my binges! do you know why you have binged in the past?

ab-uk, I think I'll try incorporating lots of small, sweet things because those are my main problem too! do you never want to eat multiple little bars/lots of sorbet?

xx

I find when I'm like that I either have a aero and put it in the fridge til it's rock hard and break it into the 10 pieces I feel like I've eaten loads when I've had one of them or I eat a crunchy freezing cold and take my time eating it I'm usually bored of eating it half way through ha ha :) try lower calorie choc when ya in the binge mood to limit your intake of calories... I don't think ya can stop it happening but ya can minimise the damage.. I sometimes naughty I know but skip breakfast or eat fruit instead so I can have chocolate after my tea at TOTM :(

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's the diet which is making you binge. I've suffered with binge eating all my adult life and have been to numerous healthcare professionals. They all say the same thing - stop dieting.

You need to change your goal to eating sensibly for your health not appearance. No funny rules - eat what you want. the first couple of weeks you eat lots because you still feel deprived - but when you get used to the fact that you can eat what you like within moderation the need to eat everything in sight starts to go.

I have set myself the following rules -

3 meals a day (whatever I want in moderation)
Snack only on fruit.
Weigh myself once a month as a max

It's hard going but a routine is really important - I eat at set times of the day and never let myself get too hungry.

I read a great book called 'Eating Less' by Gillian Riley. It really helped.

Hope this helps?

Rozziebabe85 said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's the diet which is making you binge. I've suffered with binge eating all my adult life and have been to numerous healthcare professionals. They all say the same thing - stop dieting.

You need to change your goal to eating sensibly for your health not appearance. No funny rules - eat what you want. the first couple of weeks you eat lots because you still feel deprived - but when you get used to the fact that you can eat what you like within moderation the need to eat everything in sight starts to go.

I have set myself the following rules -

3 meals a day (whatever I want in moderation)
Snack only on fruit.
Weigh myself once a month as a max

It's hard going but a routine is really important - I eat at set times of the day and never let myself get too hungry.

I read a great book called 'Eating Less' by Gillian Riley. It really helped.

Hope this helps?

You know, I was going to recommend that book too, lol. You're absolutely right, and it's why around 95% of all diets ultimately fail, with people ending up even heavier than when they started. Hoping that by adopting the Gillian Riley techniques I can be part of the 5% this time! xx

I don't mean this in a sarcastic way at all, but does it help if you just don't buy those things in the first place? I know I find it easier to resist temptation when I'm in the supermarket than I do when I've got lots of naughty snacks in the cupboards :)

I agree about not completely cutting out treats though. I eat what I like as long as I stick within my calorie allowance - in theory I could just eat chocolate and crisps but then I know that I'd be hungry if I did that, I'd much rather use my calorie allowance sensibly and then have something chocolatey as a treat :)

Also, I think it helps to get into the mentality that it's not about what you can't have, but what about you CAN have. You're on slimming world so you have a huge range of goodies to choose from.
Also, a treat is something you should earn. We don't deserve treats just because we want them:sigh:

Wow this thread has actually made me hate food even more than i do already if that makes sense lol.
I'm on a different diet to i think some of you? I'm on Cambridge so no food is involved in the plan i do, just 3 shakes a day. I've lost 3 and a half stone in 12 weeks,
and i haven't once 'binged' but its something i'm very familiar with as its what i used to do on a daily basis before starting this diet..
I can't really give advise on how to stop binging, but i can tell you why i don't think i've done it since being on Cambridge..
my body no longer craves foods, i no longer go to bed on a full stomache, i no longer imagine huge bowls of pasta or pizzas. I keep myself busy, i go onto my favourite clothes websites, i watch supersize vs superskinny for motivation! Anything to stop me even so much of thinking about food x

Recently I have taken up swimming and i absoloutly love it. What i've realised is my cravings usually kick in in the evening time around 6pm and after. So i go swimming at 6pm for around two hours. I feel so much better for it and by the time i've finished i feel healthy and no longer crave all the bad foods! :)

I think what really helped me was meal planning, only buying what you need, and making sure you eat regularly.

Honestly, it is so difficult but with will power you really CAN do it. Plan out nice, healthy, filling meals - think Slimming World style.

And say this to yourself 'Am I hungry enough to eat an apple? No? Then I'm not going to eat, because I'm not truly hungry.'

And you know, if you ARE truly hungry enough to eat and apple then do it! But that's enough of a snack your body needs between good, healthy meals.

I binged for more than 10 years.. and some years almost daily... I just could not stop eating.. It took all my time I even struggled to work. I could not stop buying those foods from shop..
Only lately, for the past 4 months I've managed not to binge. What changed? I started listening to Slimpod. Also I started eating lots of fruits every day. I allow myself one ice cream every day if I want to. I don't restrict myself too much. I keep myself busy with work and other things I enjoy. I only do my food shopping with my husband. I set a budget where I'm aiming for with my weekly shopping. I also keep saying to myself many times a day : A change starts from me! And just now I've noticed that when I exercise straight away in the morning I really don't want to 'ruin' the results and waste all my effort by eating very poorly the rest of the day.. so It helps! :) You can do it too!

I used to binge all the time. I found slimpods at the end of October and I haven't binged since before xmas. I now eat when hungry stop when full no foods banned. This works very well for me and the slimpods slowly change the ingrained eating habits forever, but you do have to do as it says on the tin and give them long enough to work :) x

What is slimpod ???

I have this problem. If I buy a pack of 4 mars I will eat them all in one go. I'll have about three buttered rolls with my soup and then a whole tub of ben and jerrys after and some chocolate. And if i order pizza i'll have a large one with potato wedges, dips, and icecream, and eat the lot. The feeling is just so amazing, and i'll often fall asleep straight after. This is obviously not good for my waistline though!

The last 3 weeks i've been on slimfast but i've also had several vegies with lunch and dinner and 2 pieces of fruit as my snack. I find the vegies really help my cravings for binging as I can eat loads and not put on any weight. I'll add a bit of philidelphia extra light for added taste. It only takes a min to chop up a few veg, put them in the oven for 10 mins and ur done. I'm having a bad night tonight though and really would like to eat more, but I have two stone to lose before I can do that. My plan is once i've achieved my target weight is to eat healthy/lower cal for 5 days of the week, then on a friday night to enjoy a take away, and on the saturday to eat what i like, then go back to eating healthy for the rest of the week, and do exercise too. I just don't think I could ever give up binging completely. I think I might try and eat salads/veg with my binges though so i eat less when I do do it.

Have u lost any weight doing this?

Back