Bipolar disorder

matty

Anyone any experience of this, either yourself or a family member. Would value any advice you have to give.
Matty

Hi Matty

I work in Mental Health. Don't know if I would be able to help but I will certainly try.

Jazzy x

I have bipolar disorder. It was diagnosed when I was in my teens, and to be honest, the treatment I received all those years ago was enough to put me off ever attempting to find treatment now.

I know there is so much more that can be done these days, and I'm a nincompoop:eek:

So...advice....sorry. I'm crap at handling it. Look forward to what others experiences are of this disorder....cos it's a pain in the butt to live with:(

Thanks Karion and Jazzy for that, I am trying to find out as much as I can in relation to helping somebody who has this disorder.
Matty

Matty - I strongly suspect my ex-husband had/has bipolar but our GP didn't want to 'label' him - sheesh!!

I also wonder if I have it in a mild form - I don't know if it is a broad spectrum condition but it would certainly explain a lot!!

I've been doing a bit of research on the condition and have found these links - they might be of help, I hope so - :

http://freebipolarreport.chttp://ww...p?gclid=COfc88HQvocCFRVQQgodJhztrgom/report6/
http://www.healthyplace.com/communities/bipolar/index.asp?gclid=COfc88HQvocCFRVQQgodJhztrg

Finally! Proven Strategies and Real-Life Tactics You Can Use NOW to Cope and Deal With Your Loved One’s Bipolar Disorder

NIMH: Bipolar Disorder

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?ArticleID=47

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance

love

Hi

Did you watch the TV show on it with Stephen Fry the other evening. I half watched it while doing other things. It was very informative. If you didn't maybe you can find a repeat. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of it though.

Dizzy

Thanks for all that Isobel, much appreciated.
And Dizzy, I did hear about the programme, but didn't see it.
Talk to you all soon
Matty
x

Hi matty, I was diagnosed with rapid cycling biopolar disorder, it is very easily treatable now, I take carbamazapine which is mood stabalizer, it is fantastic and has enabled me to lead a normal!!! life, I work as a Nurse and am married with two children, I do sometimes go either manic or depressed but it only happens when I push myself to the limit or stop taking my meds, a very common thing to watch out for with bipolar sufferers.

If I can be any help, just ask and I will do my best, have been through it all, sectioning, cbt etc, etc

Regards

Empy

I take Cipramil too as I'm a manic depressive. I developed Bipolar after having my son and was on various medication for it. It did help a bit, but I was suicidal if I stopped taking it for any length of time.

Thank you all so much

Thank you for all your help, I am really grateful. I have been so worried, and you have made me feel better hearing that you live normal lives (whatever that is now!)

Love Matty
x

Hi Matty,

I hope everything will work out well for your relative and it is a difficult time but you can see from the posts you have received that they are very positive and while at first the news does come as a blow there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thankfully we are beginning to discuss openly the effects of depression and anxiety in our lives and this in turn will help others to feel that they are not alone and that there is help out there and good help at that.

The world we live in today is very fast and high pressured and we have demands on us that never existed before and yet we have not been given the skill to help us cope with them or in some cases the time to adjust...

I read over twenty years ago that the biggest problem that was going to face the 21st century was anxiety and depression and it looks like who ever wrote that was right.

My sister suffered from bipolar unfortunately she found it hard to come to terms with it but it was not for want of trying. Looking back now I can see she felt ashamed somehow, this makes me feel very sad as she shied away from the problem instead of tackling it head on, she turned to drink and while it dulled the pain it also dulled her ability to make good decisions for herself.

Love Mini xxx

I am reading Adam Ant's biography and as he suffers from Bipolar and is brutally honest maybe - just maybe, it would be worth a read.

He is trying to push societal boundries where mental health is concerned and fair play.

Ivy

I've just been reading a little article in a magazine that said 1 person in 100 has this condition - so there's lots of folk in the same boat!

Like most things, I guess, the more we talk about it, the more we can learn!

I have just watched the programme and I thought it was excellent.

Love Mini xxx

My depression is actually bipolar and I have a personality disorder. If you would like specific advice please PM me.

Hiya.
I was diagnosed with bipolar at age 16, I’m 19 now.
I also watched Stephen Fry’s programme and really agreed with the other suffers that I don’t think if I could I would want to get rid of it. Which I think makes others think I really am nuts:D , but I really do feel it is a part of me now.

Ronnie O’Sullivan and Adam Ant biography give a brutally honest account of Bipolar.

Ronnie O' Sullivan is Bipolar?? I never knew that. I'll keep an eye out for his book. Sometimes i like to read up on famous people who have Bipolar, mainly so that i can feel like i can achieve something with my life. When i first got diagnosed i thougt it was the end of my life for me but reading about others who have got through it and made something of themselves gives me the inspirtaion i need to achieve my dreams. Although i'm still working on them.

I know this thread is old but i just wanted to contribute xx

Back