Bit of advice? :)

stef2009

Gold Member
Hi all :)

I'm starting Atkins as of tomorrow, I go away to Portugal for 3 days in 3 weeks time, I know realistically I should wait till I come back to start but I've hit a plateau for the past 10 weeks and have gained 3lb, I really need to start something before 3 weeks before I gain anymore!!

So I was wondering, I have 2.5 stone to lose, should I do 2 weeks induction and introduce more carbs on my third week before I go? Or do I do 3 weeks of induction and just have my weekend away and come back to it?

I will be coming off plan on that weekend, it is mine and hubby to be's first weekend in 10 years on our own!! And were going to go and finalise wedding arrangements so I will be comin off plan and gettin drunk! I am well aware there will be a gain for that weekend.

So any advice what phase to follow over the next 3 weeks would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

If it were me i'd stay in induction as long as possible, perhaps breaking it with carbs the day before i leave for the holiday (to make sure you are out of ketosis before you get drunk, cos ketosis and getting drunk can make you feel awful!). This way you get to lose as much as possible before you go away and when you come back and start again you will be in a better position. Either way i don't think it matters too much, just go with what you feel is easier for you.

Think i agree with losingit - everyday on plan is a getting things moving. One weekend off is ok as long as it doesn't become a regular habit:)

Thankyou ladies :) I'll do that then!

Oh no wont be a regular thing :) if Atkins works for me then I am determined to get the rest of this weight off!!! Just been to Costco and stocked up on my bacon pork chops sausage and chicken yummm! Xxx

Hi guys, another quick question, Is there like a limit on how many times we can fry our food per day? Like can i fry mushroom 3 times per day lol i know that sounds ridiculous!
Also what is this full fat cream i need to get, is it in a tub? and what do i use it with?

Thanks xxx

no you can fry food as much as you like. Try to use 'natural' fats when you fry though ... i like cooking things in a mix of olive oil + butter mmmmmmm.

The cream,... should be in the chilled yoghurts area of the supermarket (normally, although i have been known to hunt around the chilled area for 10 minutes before finding it!). It comes in pots like yoghurts (but bigger). Double cream is the lowest carb one normally, or extra thick double cream.

Are peppers recomended they seem high in carbs? Xxx

I have cream in my coffee just a little splash (or coconut milk) if I don't fancy it black. Also I have cream on top of lots of things - I made the Atkins Belgium waffles and had it with them, or I use it in sauces etc...

or make it into a sweet dessert by adding a bit of sweetner and flavourings (i add strawberry flavouring, some here add cocoa).... good with jelly too.

Omg I didn't realise we could make treats!!!

What are the waffles?!!! Xxxx

One more thing too lol how many cals do u all usually have in a day? mines only come to 708 hmm is that right? xx

that doesn't sound right, no... what are you eating? Maybe post a list of what you eat in a day and we can comment? I eat about 500-700 calories when i'm being really naughty and not eating enough.. when i eat 'properly' on Atkins it normally comes in at anything from 1700 to 2200 calories.

I've had....
Egg, ham, mushroom, tomatoes for breakfast

Egg, ham, pepperoni, cheese mushroom for dinner

Bacon and sausage for tea

I Deffo need some more high cal high fat foods, going to have jelly and squirty cream soon, seems to be in my carb allowance...

Anyone know any good foods/snacks that are high in cals?

Xxx

Last edited:
Hi

You need to read the Atkins book, and/or visit the Atkins website. You've not got it chick ..... You need veg and salad. This diet isn't protein only with a few mushrooms thrown in.
You shouldn't be eating sausages unless theybre low carb ones as a sausage or two can use up your whole daily carb allowance, you need that allowance for your essential greens.
Fats are good so long as they are butter, olive oil but not margarine or spreads. Cream is okay but not too much.
Calorie counting is out, you could consume 2000 calories on this diet and still lose weight. Calories can be your friend, you don't need to starve, it's all about carbs.
Hope this helps

My advice. Forget Atkins and eat a healthy diet including loads of fruit and vegetables. Any diet other than a healthy diet consisting of loads of natural food (fruit, veg, nuts, seeds) is a gimmick. Can you really stay on these diets for the rest of your life? I wasted so much of my life so far focusing on weight and diet, when I could have been having fun. I wish I could say something to stop other people from making the same mistake. Now I eat exactly what I want it's just that what I want consists of very healthy food. I'm never hungry. I'm rarely unsatisfied. It's taken years to get to this point and to be at a good weight without depriving myself.

Good luck everyone.

Calypso Angst said:
My advice. Forget Atkins and eat a healthy diet including loads of fruit and vegetables. Any diet other than a healthy diet consisting of loads of natural food (fruit, veg, nuts, seeds) is a gimmick.

Curious - I do Atkins and my diet is more full of veg, nuts, certain fruit and unprocessed cuts of meat than at any other point in my life. I'm also eating a diet closer to the one my early ancestors would have eaten than just about any other. If its a gimmick, it's lasted for a few millennia by now.

No harm in giving an opinion, but perhaps it's worth learning about something before dismissing it.

moonlights said:
Curious - I do Atkins and my diet is more full of veg, nuts, certain fruit and unprocessed cuts of meat than at any other point in my life. I'm also eating a diet closer to the one my early ancestors would have eaten than just about any other. If its a gimmick, it's lasted for a few millennia by now.

No harm in giving an opinion, but perhaps it's worth learning about something before dismissing it.

Agreed. Not everyone is the same, and you shouldn't just dismiss something because Of your own experiences. Before I had my daughter I ate these types of food, but then I turned to fast food whilst I was pregnant. Everyone is naughty every now and then but everything bad in moderation I think

from my iPhone

What I love about Atkins is how much veg i eat now. Old days - pasta with a bit of chicken and bit of veg. Nowadays 2/3 my plate is piled high with veggies - love it:D

Good for Calipso, if they can eat 'whatever they want' and still lose weight..eating like that is what go me here in the first place lol :p

B x

I had a look at their other posts and 'eating what they want' appeared to be a raw food diet. Not for me. But they're a troll and also went off to annoy the calorie counters.

Back