Blackberries

nattynoo22

Well woken up by noisey people outside so decided to go for a morning walk with the dog and since blackberrys are in season collected a tub full of blackberrys, any ideas on something different i can do with them?? :rolleyes:

put very low fat greek yoghurt on them. I would say pie or crumble but its not allowed on sw as high in syns lol

i know that was my initial though...mmm crumble but nope or if anyone has ideas for a sw crumble??

Or you could make a low fat jelly and put them in that, I do it with the frozen fruit mixes sometimes , I think it's ? 1/2 syn for a quarter, then have vlf fromage frais, or syn LF creme fraiche.
They make wonderful chutney, and wine!

Blackberry pears & vanilla custard[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
4 pears
Juice of 1 lemon
1 level tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
7oz/198g blackberries
1 level tbsp cornflour
16fl oz/454ml skimmed milk
A few drops of vanilla essence
1 vanilla pod
2 egg yolks
Artificial sweetener to taste
Fresh mint to garnish

transp.gif
transp.gif
transp.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
swm3177.jpg
[/FONT]
transp.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INSTRUCTIONS[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Peel, halve and core the pears, sprinkle with lemon juice and place on a roasting tin, cut side up.
2. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon over the blackberries and spoon over the pear halves. Pour a little water into the roasting tin, cover and bake for 20-25 minutes, until just tender.
3. Meanwhile, blend the cornflour with a little of the milk and place in a pan with the remaining milk and vanilla essence. Cut the vanilla pod in half lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Add the pod and seeds to the pan, stirring constantly until boiling, then remove from the heat and discard the vanilla pod.
4. Add the egg yolks to the pan along with the artificial sweetener and beat. Reheat gently until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
5. Place 2 pear halves on four warmed serving plates, spoon round the custard and serve garnished with fresh mint.

7 syns are green and red serves 4

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Blackberry & Apple Mousse[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]
227g/8 oz blackberries
227g/8 oz apples, peeled, cored & sliced
6 tbsp water
artificial sweetener, to taste
1 sachet gelatine
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 egg whites
2 level tbsp aerosol cream

transp.gif
transp.gif
transp.gif
delicious_desserts.jpg
[/FONT]
transp.gif
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INSTRUCTIONS[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]
1. Wash the blackberries and place them in a saucepan with the apples and 2 tablespoons of water. Simmer gently over a low heat until the fruit is soft. Add sweetener to taste and leave to cool
2. Sieve to remove any pips making a purée. Dissolve the gelatine in the remaining water in a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water. Stir in the lemon juice and leave to cool.
3. Add the gelatine to the fruit purée and blend thoroughly. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the fruit mixture using a metal spoon. Pour into 4 serving dishes and chill until set. Decorate with the cream.

1 1/2 syns

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Blackberry meringue crunch[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]
1lb/454g blackberries
4 meringue nests
2 drops vanilla essence
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
2 x 200g pots Vanilla Müllerlight Yogurt
Orange slices to decorate

transp.gif
transp.gif
transp.gif
swm3883.jpg
[/FONT]
transp.gif
transp.gif
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]
1. Prepare the ingredients: reserving a few for garnish, lightly crush the blackberries with a fork; break the meringue nests into small pieces; stir the vanilla essence and orange zest into the yogurt.
2. Layer the blackberries, yogurt and crushed meringue in four dessert bowls. Decorate with the remaining blackberries and orange slices and serve immediately

4 syns on green and red

yes thats great thank you sounds tasty! i wonder if you could get the syns down on the last recipe by making your own mirangue! gonna try that today and let you know how i get on! :)

you make a syn free meranguie - change to make life easier just giver you ideas as an overview to help with them blueberries - what ever you decide to do them post them on the meals photo thread yay :)

those puds look gorgeous, enjoy what ever you do with them, and go a pick some more tomorrow for he freezer.
My O/H and DD have gone out today too picking school wear from Primeark, not as tasty though.

Well woken up by noisey people outside so decided to go for a morning walk with the dog and since blackberrys are in season collected a tub full of blackberrys, any ideas on something different i can do with them?? :rolleyes:

Syn free crumble alternative

I just mix up I HEB portion per person of Porridge Oats (whole ones) with sweetener sugar & water instead of milk, spread over the top of the fruit (I cook the fruit with a little added sweetener in the oven of about 20 mins first), then spray with butter frylite (avail from Tesco generally) & cook in the oven for about 1/2 hour.

Not sure about the syns in the fruit, I generally use apple & blackberry & give it a few syns. Cooked fruit is not that high in syns. Serve it with syn free vanilla ice cream:

1 large tub VLF Fromage Frais
2 Syn Free Vanilla Yogs
Sweetener to taste
A little vanilla essence
A dash of milk from your allowance

Mix it all together. Pop it in the Ice Cream Maker, then about 40 mins later enjoy!!

I've only tried this in an Ice Cream maker, but I'm sure it would work just in the freezer, you'd probably need to stir it every few hours.

HTH

Back