blow out day

I get it.................When I went to Scottish Slimmers a number of years ago, my friend and I always went for burgers and chips after the weigh-in, nibbled the whole day...............and then back on track the next morning. I lost over 5 stone with that system.:innocent0002:

I must admit, I kinda do the same :eek:

After weigh in, I do try to stick to the SW plan, but I will allow myself a crunch corner, rather than a Muller, for example. And I usually meet my friend for a drink in the evening, so I allow myself some wine (it's the only night I drink). And the OH cooks on a Tuesday for me. I make sure he uses lean meat, Eat Smart sausages, trimmed bacon etc, but I don't fret too much about other stuff he uses. I know I would lose more if I didn't do this, but I'm quite happy with it. And if I don't have a blow out on a Tuesday, I don't mind, it's not something I have to do. For example, yesterday I didn't have a blow out at all, and I don't exactly crave it. If that makes sense....

Skinny Lizzie said:
I get it.................When I went to Scottish Slimmers a number of years ago, my friend and I always went for burgers and chips after the weigh-in, nibbled the whole day...............and then back on track the next morning. I lost over 5 stone with that system.:innocent0002:

I'm glad u did it and lost weight. I guess it is best not to though. It doesn't stop my weight loss but probably slows it down.

Tinytootz said:
I must admit, I kinda do the same :eek:

After weigh in, I do try to stick to the SW plan, but I will allow myself a crunch corner, rather than a Muller, for example. And I usually meet my friend for a drink in the evening, so I allow myself some wine (it's the only night I drink). And the OH cooks on a Tuesday for me. I make sure he uses lean meat, Eat Smart sausages, trimmed bacon etc, but I don't fret too much about other stuff he uses. I know I would lose more if I didn't do this, but I'm quite happy with it. And if I don't have a blow out on a Tuesday, I don't mind, it's not something I have to do. For example, yesterday I didn't have a blow out at all, and I don't exactly crave it. If that makes sense....

See I crave it. That's where the problem is. If I didn't have it I'd feel cheated.

I really think you just need a planned blow out. You would really feel so much happier, particularly when you started to see some of that translate to the scales. I sit down for half hour or so every week before my shop and plan out my meals. For me, I know I HAVE to. I don't stick at it unless I know I have planned meals every day - it's too easy to go off piste (for me at least) otherwise.

Good luck though - let us know how you get on. But most of all, don't beat yourself up over it. If you are losing weight then that's good. But it does sound as if there is still a habit of 'the old you' in there, that I think would be far healthier for you to address now, rather than later before it becomes too much of a habit. And habits can always be broken after all.... x

As has been said before, if you feel cheated without having a 'blow out', then make it a well planned one, try to keep it semi-healthy and keep note of your syns. I was talking to a friend of mine who does the same. She goes hell for leather after weigh in - we're talking pizza, cake, chocolate, all that stuff. If it was me, I would treat myself, but not to the extreme of having a weeks worth of syns in one sitting! Takeaways always feel so naughty to me, so I would opt for chicken kebab or fried chicken, perhaps steal a bit of the OH doner meat :D.

But I have no room to talk! I hardly ever plan, as I never know what is going to happen on a daily basis, so I end up with defrosted food not being used up, and I HATE waste!

i get home from group at around 8pm so if we have takeaway i go for the healthiest option that i will enjoy, or we will have a sw friendly home made dinner followed by a non sw friendly pud.....flexi synned. i don't drink, we don't eat out much so i rarely go over my syns. i've done this from the start, although i must admit in the begining it was more like a major meal blowout but then my losses slowed down and this is the thing i had to put it down to because i never included it in my food diary. it was the secret assasin so to speak.so now its all accounted for and the weight is coming off nice and steady again.

I find this thread really interesting - mainly because of the huge differences in what people consider a blow out. For example Lisa 123 considers a blow out to be a muller corner instead of a muller light. I don't think a bourneville bar is a blow out (even though it probably has way more syns than a muller corner) and loads of people seem to have a trigger in their head which means they have to eat off plan food after weigh in.

I have to be honest - I really don't get the need to binge on food. I have always just ate too much (healthy or otherwise), drank too much and not exercised enough so its really difficult to understand these very complex issues with food that alot of people have. I know that the way I get healthy is to eat less, drink less, exercise more. I also don't have hang ups about my body - I 'm not biothered about being slim, I just want to be healthy so if I get to 11 stone and I'm still a size 16, it won't bother me, as long as I can run for the bus and walk to the pub.
Can anyone explain it to me as I feel like I'm being really insensitive sometimes and I really don't want to come over like that at all.

Hey. I was the Muller culprit :) For me, it's less of a blow out, and more of a case of choosing the slightly more naughty version. I think it's simply a case of everyone is different, and everyone has totally different attitudes to food. My problem was making wrong choices, not quantity. Now, I (try) to make better choices, and the quantity is still about the same. During the week, I try to keep to healthy choices, using my syns as wisely as possible. But on a Tuesday, I kinda ease back a wee bit. Personally, I think if I didn't, I would drive people mad by worrying about it. I see my friends on a Tuesday evening, and they would quickly get sick of me chiming off all the syns in alcohol, before I decided what I wanted :)

It's everyones own personal journey, with their own goals, and desired outcome. Mine is to be smaller, which is totally opposite to you. If I was 13 stone and a size 10, I would be ok with that. That is down to my own lack of self esteem. Sadly, I'm not. My health (thankfully) hasn't suffered too much with my weight, as I've always been a bit of a walker and a wanderer.

Personally, I find a mini binge on a Tuesday helps me through the week. If I really want the Galaxy or the Frazzles or whatever on Monday, and I don't have the available syns for that day, I say no, you can have it tomorrow. Quite often when tomorrow comes round, I don't want it. But it helps me to try and stay on track. Not that I am a SW angel, by no means!

Horses for Courses, and all that jazz :)

See this is where slimming world helps me as it gives me a lot of control. I darent binge on anything due to well something which still effects me now. I have a lot of issues i need to sort with food and slimming world is helping it. I feel safe now when im eating healthier. I dont feel like im going to loose control again and end up back in hospital. Atm all i want to do is loose the weight and i find sticking 100% to plan is helping me.

See this is where slimming world helps me as it gives me a lot of control. I darent binge on anything due to well something which still effects me now. I have a lot of issues i need to sort with food and slimming world is helping it. I feel safe now when im eating healthier. I dont feel like im going to loose control again and end up back in hospital. Atm all i want to do is loose the weight and i find sticking 100% to plan is helping me.

Mwah! xx

To make up for my blow out day yesterday I have had a healthy McDonald's salad about one sun and a couple of chips. Overall three and a half syns. Later ill have pork, gravy, potatoes and get and of course a small dairy milk and will still be in my allowance. Have tried to attach pic of my salad but it won't work. X

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110413_133454.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110413_133454.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 37
I must admit I used to have the 'binge binge binge' attitude, would go to the supermarket and buy family size bars of chocolate and peanuts etc. But then I'd get home and would eat just a little bit and couldn't (subconciously??) eat any more. Then I went on to making sure I had SW friendly dinner ready and waiting for me when I went home. Strange thing was....when i did that I didn't seem to have a good loss the next week.....others that I spoke to stopped at the takeaway on the way home and did have good losses. Used to really p**s me off so sometimes we'll get a chinese (just a small one) but actually not very often. Strange how it all affects people differently, but as long as we get there eventually eh.....xx

This is a really interesting thread...

I must admit that I always had a big appetite -I can't blame my parents as they never uttered those imortal words "clear your plate" because I never needed telling :p... The thing is that I love healthy foods and always have -fruit in particular was my weakness - which in its self sounds fine -but not when I could sit and eat a punnet of plums, nectarines and grapes without missing a beat :eek: ....
I know exactly where the emotional part of my eating came from -I lost my dad on my 16th birthday and I remember so clearly that everyone else was so grief sticken that they couldn't eat - my odd little coping mechanism became "well if I eat then obviously I must be fine" -unfortunately I never really stopped:eek:
When I started SW I dealt with the whole kit n caboodle of what I ate and why I ate it and god it has made life so much easier, I have gone cold turkey on a lot of things -but that was because I have trigger foods and I really don't want to get into eating them again (and 1 year in I no longer remember what they taste like :D)-at last I have finally sorted out a way that I can see myself eating for the rest of my life ... I think that was why it was and still is important to me personally not to "treat" myself with food... however I can see why some people feel it might help them....
oooh I can waffle :eek: - I will go away and be quiet now :p

CAPRICORN said:
This is a really interesting thread...

I must admit that I always had a big appetite -I can't blame my parents as they never uttered those imortal words "clear your plate" because I never needed telling :p... The thing is that I love healthy foods and always have -fruit in particular was my weakness - which in its self sounds fine -but not when I could sit and eat a punnet of plums, nectarines and grapes without missing a beat :eek: ....
I know exactly where the emotional part of my eating came from -I lost my dad on my 16th birthday and I remember so clearly that everyone else was so grief sticken that they couldn't eat - my odd little coping mechanism became "well if I eat then obviously I must be fine" -unfortunately I never really stopped:eek:
When I started SW I dealt with the whole kit n caboodle of what I ate and why I ate it and god it has made life so much easier, I have gone cold turkey on a lot of things -but that was because I have trigger foods and I really don't want to get into eating them again (and 1 year in I no longer remember what they taste like :D)-at last I have finally sorted out a way that I can see myself eating for the rest of my life ... I think that was why it was and still is important to me personally not to "treat" myself with food... however I can see why some people feel it might help them....
oooh I can waffle :eek: - I will go away and be quiet now :p

Thankyou for telling us about ur sad loss. That is so sad. Am sending you big hugs. X it goes to show everyone has reasons for using food as they do x

I have gone cold turkey on a lot of things -but that was because I have trigger foods and I really don't want to get into eating them again

I know what you mean with trigger foods. I have to totally avoid butter. Man, I loved toast and butter. But if I had butter in the house, I wouldn't be able to stop. I now no longer even think about the stuff, let alone crave it. But if even a teeny butter pat was in the house......!

Capricorn i'm really sorry to hear about your loss- i too lost my dad when i was 16 and like you i just carried on and tried to pretend everything was okay - but i stopped eating properly for a few months but did not connect the 2 things - i just had to concentrate on getting out of bed each day and it wasn't until i got dragged to therapy that i started eating properly again. I swore i would never let myself get like that again and that is why i have always been so resistent to diets - and why i do not feel guilty about what i eat. It wasn't until i read your post that i even really made the connection between the 2 things so thank you for helping me understand that i probably did, and still do have, food issues - no matter how much i don't want it to be true xxx

Its took me many months to realise I cant have a syn tin biscuits crips etc in the house as I have one then think oh just another then its way over syns.

Now I have a treat that Ive bought if needed and thats it.

I dont think Ive got any emotional issues with food if Im upset depressed etc then I just dont eat. When I split with husband no.1 I went down to 7st 11 Ilived on tea and fags.

Personally I dont view weigh in day as a treat day when its over, Ive done this once bought 2 cream buns from Tesco on my way home had a gain the next week that was enough to teach me a lesson.

Very interesting how we are all different!!:D

My weakness is Potato Crisps. I can't have them in the house when I'm trying to lose weight as I can't eat one packet.....I need to have more and then more and then............well you know what I mean. ;)

As for binging on weigh-in day, I got off with that all those years ago but its a little more difficult to shift the weight now so I won't be going down that road again. :D

I know what you mean with trigger foods. I have to totally avoid butter. Man, I loved toast and butter. But if I had butter in the house, I wouldn't be able to stop. I now no longer even think about the stuff, let alone crave it. But if even a teeny butter pat was in the house......!

I'm exactly the same, butter is a big trigger for me and obviously the butter is bad enough but with it has to come toast or cheese in a sarnie - we are under a butter ban too!!!

Back