blue-kat healthy lifestyle diary

Just popping in to subscribe and say hello..and spy on all your lovely food choices! X

I'm getting back after a flaky week:
B: porridge + yog + agave syrup
L: chick pea salad + sardines + broad bean hummous
S: fruit crumble + ice cream (treat!)
D: 1/2 plate green veg, 3 thin sausages, 1/2 sweet pot
mango + kiwi

I'm still struggling with yearning for sweet stuff, but today's menu is a big improvement on eating another handful of twirl minis several times a day ! ruddy hormones !

long working day tomorrow, will take healthy snacks.

blue-kat said:
I'm getting back after a flaky week:
B: porridge + yog + agave syrup
L: chick pea salad + sardines + broad bean hummous
S: fruit crumble + ice cream (treat!)
D: 1/2 plate green veg, 3 thin sausages, 1/2 sweet pot
mango + kiwi

I'm still struggling with yearning for sweet stuff, but today's menu is a big improvement on eating another handful of twirl minis several times a day ! ruddy hormones !

long working day tomorrow, will take healthy snacks.

Yum! Broad bean hummus sounds delicious!

I feel your pain on craving sweetness..but remember the more sweet you eat, the more you want to eat sweet. Lol.

Hormones...boooooo! Xxx

I'm still not managing to do low GI enough of the time to make a real difference, although little changes are bound to be helping to some degree.

I don't feel like eating in the mornings, but do try very hard, just don't manage it every day. I had a low blood sugar episode y/day.

I'm having a thyroid antibodies test soon, and going back to cardio unit in a month, if it's the same consultant as before, that means being humiliated about my weight.:sigh:

Hi
It's hard to adjust at first. I know I've found all my meals are a lot smaller due to having to eat every 2-3 hours. I have a really small breakfast or some days have a snack then eat the larger meal midmorning. That might be something to try out to help
Lauren x

thanks Lauren - will give that a go.
it's got to help with blood sugar, good suggestion.
I've realised that I'm cautious of starting to eat, and defer meals sometimes. There's a fear that once I start, I'll just keep nibbling and going back for me.
it's true that I don't have a strong STOP urge like some people, but it's def not helping by delaying meals and snacks that would even out blood sugar generally.

I had one of these bars today, def helped with my sweet cravings. They are made by The food doctor, muesli bars - like apricot and almond, fig and mango, apple and walnut, they are low fat, and low GI - from what I have read of the ingredients., also their spelt crackers or rye crackers are nice :)

blue-kat said:
thanks Lauren - will give that a go.
it's got to help with blood sugar, good suggestion.
I've realised that I'm cautious of starting to eat, and defer meals sometimes. There's a fear that once I start, I'll just keep nibbling and going back for me.
it's true that I don't have a strong STOP urge like some people, but it's def not helping by delaying meals and snacks that would even out blood sugar generally.

Hi kat :)

With the cautiousness about starting to eat, I think you could retrain your brain to think of this differently. If you put off eating until you're an absolute starvin marvin, then if you're like me you'll be more inclined to inhale anything and everything so quickly that your stomach doesn't have time to register that it's getting full. As long as you're eating the right foods little and often there's nothing wrong with doing so. :)

A few things I've done or read to help learn how to stop when full...

Make sure your meal isn't entirely fat free and has enough protein. Both these will help you feel full. (think about it - I personally could eat a family sized bag of baked crisps followed by one of m&ms, but no way could I eat a whole block of butter or jar of peanut butter)

When you dish up, put 2/3 of your portion on your plate. Once you've finished that, wait 20 minutes and if you're still hungry then eat the final 1/3 (or 1/4, whatever split works for you) with pleasure.

Eat plenty of vegetables - this may be more than you think! Since doing the south beach diet I now aim for 225g raw weight of veg with both lunch and dinner (or 2 cups of salad) and 55g with breakfast. This makes my meals more filling and naturally reduces my portions of the higher calorie protein and starchy carb foods. (or follow Molly's easy tip of making sure at least 1/2 your plate is full of veg)

Good luck hon, I know you can do this! A lot of small changes will soon add up! :) x

thanks PF. all excellent suggestions. I'll work on all of them. I find that eating enough protein is important for blood sugar.

I forgot ( i.e. couldn't be bothered) to take in packed lunch one day this week, and stumbled upon a great alternative.

in the nearby supermarket they have a fish counter and give you a free portion of flavoured butter with fresh fish.
I bought 1 salmon fillet and dill butter for £1.22 and cooked it at my studio in the waxed paper packaging, just removing the plastic sheet. 2 mins in the microwave at med-high.

next time I'll buy some salad to go with it, as it's excellent stop gap and cheaper than bought sandwiches etc.

Back