BMI, bone size etc confusion :(

You might find it better to have your fat measured.
Sneaky way would be to pop into Curves gym when they do the free assessment or buy a pair of calipers, to pinch the fat.
BMI is notoriously unreliable, as apart from skeletal frame, muscle is a dense material and the heavier you are the bigger your muscles are, to enable you to walk.
The trick is to keep the muscle and lose the fat as the more muscle the faster you burn fat.
As someone said it's the difference between a tonne of feathers and a tonne of iron, the feathers are like fat, big and bulky and the muscle like iron so more compact.

I know that to have a waist size of over 35inches you're at greater risk of heart disease. Perhaps lose a couple of inches off your waist to give you a healthy margin?

Minimunchkins said:
On the wrist test thing - I wonder if anyone has taken finger length into account!!

That's true I have a friend with Marfans syndrome her fingers are really long!

My bmi is 23 1/2 which is just below the top of the normal weight range of 25 (lowest being 18 1/2)

Bmi doesn't work for me. I am 5'2 target is 9.1 which is at the top of ideal weight range. So according to that I could have lost another stone plus and still be in normal weight range.

I am at target and a size 6, so no way do I need to lose more
And now just to top it off I am big boned cos my finger and thumb don't meet around my wrist! Lol

Go with what you feel, people cannot see the number on the scales, they see you

Kron said:
My bmi is 23 1/2 which is just below the top of the normal weight range of 25 (lowest being 18 1/2)

Bmi doesn't work for me. I am 5'2 target is 9.1 which is at the top of ideal weight range. So according to that I could have lost another stone plus and still be in normal weight range.

I am at target and a size 6, so no way do I need to lose more
And now just to top it off I am big boned cos my finger and thumb don't meet around my wrist! Lol

Go with what you feel, people cannot see the number on the scales, they see you

I was going to mention you earlier lol! You are quite well muscled because of the kettlebells and so you are a prime example of the compact 'iron'!!!

I don't lose weight whilst I've been exercising yet have lost loads of inches, had to stop the running for two weeks and lost nearly 5 lb! I find it hard to stop looking at the numbers for confirmation!

It's possibly like every other method of measuring stuff like this - works, but not in every case, *sigh*.
I will find a person with long fingers, and insist they check out their wrist measurements....

That would be me :rolleyes: Huge hands and I would have said bigger frame, but my wrist measurement is just under 6 inches (putting me at medium/small for my height)

I can easily touch my thumb and index finger :)

My wrist circumference puts me at having a small frame - but my fingers won't join up when I put them around my wrist because my hands are tiny :)

I must have a super small frame, mine overlap by loads and even my little finger touches my thumb. Can't work out if this is good or bad!

Original poster- I would go with the pounds until you are where you feel comfortable rather than picking a weight that might end up not being right for you :)

If you have a large bone structure you add 10% onto the weight for whichever bmi you want to be. So an average frame, to have a bmi of 24.7 you'd need to weigh 137lbs, but take 10% of that. So 13.7 + 137 = 150.7lbs. Which means at 150lbs you would have a bmi of 24.7 :)

sooooo.

I'm 5ft 2.5inch and want a BMI of 24.3 which is calculated as 135lb
I have a large frame so 135lb + 13.5lb = 148.5lb which is 10 stone 8.5lb
Is this right?

I glad i understand this as i've done ww before i got to 10st and looked gaunt and was a sz 6 - 8 which i can't sustain and 10st 8.5 would be right for me.

I'm currently 183lbs so how do i work out my current bmi - is it 183lbs minu 18.3 = 165 which is a BMI of 29.7 so i'm obese NOT morbidly obese???
woop woop result!

sooooo.

I'm 5ft 2.5inch and want a BMI of 24.3 which is calculated as 135lb
I have a large frame so 135lb + 13.5lb = 148.5lb which is 10 stone 8.5lb
Is this right?

I glad i understand this as i've done ww before i got to 10st and looked gaunt and was a sz 6 - 8 which i can't sustain and 10st 8.5 would be right for me.

I'm currently 183lbs so how do i work out my current bmi - is it 183lbs minu 18.3 = 165 which is a BMI of 29.7 so i'm obese NOT morbidly obese???
woop woop result!

I've just tried this for me and I can't do it :( Can you help please? Small frame, 5' 3.5" want BMI of 21.3 (122 lbs, would be 8st 10 lbs). I just can't do the maths :( Currently 136 lbs.

I am 5'3" and weigh 9st 3lbs now - any less and I would look old in the face (am 47) so am stopping here. As long as I stay around the 9st 7lb I would be fine. And I have short fat thumbs so am buggered lol.

I have a link here for a ideal weight calculator Ideal Weight Calculator | Body Type Calculator
You are right with that there is a lot of confusion with BMI, waistline, blah blah. I read that if women have a waistline from 34 inches upwards, doctors would consider you as a high risk for diabetes, heart disease, etc.
I'm an endomorph, I get fat all over the place and it doesn't show to much (but boy do I feel it). One thing you have to keep in mind is how much fat is surrounding your organs - this is THE most dangerous fat, and I unfortunately not looking too big but am heavy probably have this problem, which explains why I had issues breathing when I was a stone heavier. It's interesting stuff...

Golly, all very confusing isn't it :)

If I use the 10% rule mentioned before, then I am currently overweight, not obese. If I get to 10 stone, then I am still overweight, but nearly 'normal', so I think I will stick to my 10 stone target, and see how I feel if I ever get there :D

I guess the bigger picture can sometimes be a little daunting, especially when figures are thrown at you, like BMI etc. But we are all here for the same reasons, onwards and downwards :)

Golly, all very confusing isn't it :)

If I use the 10% rule mentioned before, then I am currently overweight, not obese. If I get to 10 stone, then I am still overweight, but nearly 'normal', so I think I will stick to my 10 stone target, and see how I feel if I ever get there :D

I guess the bigger picture can sometimes be a little daunting, especially when figures are thrown at you, like BMI etc. But we are all here for the same reasons, onwards and downwards :)
Get your 10 stone and see how you feel. In the end of the day, it's about what you want to look like and how it makes you feel. good idea to have a chat with your GP though, you can't go wrong with that. :)

kingleds said:
You don,ttend to hold very much fat around your wrists regardless of your weight I think. In fact I,be just checked mine & despite losing 3st I still can.t get any of my fingers to touch my thumb when I put them round my wrist! I can also clearly see the bobbly bis (if that makes sense) on my wrists now so they aren't carrying much fat!

I definitely couldn't fit my fingers around my wrist before I dieted (I remember trying) but u can now, so some people must lose weight from their wrists. How confusing!

I've just tried this for me and I can't do it :( Can you help please? Small frame, 5' 3.5" want BMI of 21.3 (122 lbs, would be 8st 10 lbs). I just can't do the maths :( Currently 136 lbs.

Im large frame but i think for small frame you take 10% off so it will be:
to get BMI of 21.3 you would have to weigh 109.8 (i just took 10% off 122) =7 st 8.5lbs

Im large frame but i think for small frame you take 10% off so it will be:
to get BMI of 21.3 you would have to weigh 109.8 (i just took 10% off 122) =7 st 8.5lbs

OMG that's like nothing :eek: lol. Thanks :)

I'm most definitely a large frame, big wrists, hands & feet! Still got a hell of a long way to go until target however much I adjust it.

Back