BMI inbalance in calculation between men & Woman?

Big H

Silver Member
I am just under six foot tall and very stockily built. Don't get me wrong I don't pay any attention to BMI, but I find it strange that I would have to be 12 stone 4 to be normal:D Seriously, at 15 stone I look like I'm wasting away! (not that I am 15 stone now;)) Out of my 5 closest mates, only one is under 15 stone (so all technically overweight or obese)and none are by any means fat! However I see woman that are pretty large who's BMI is between 25 and 30 . Like I say I don't bother with BMI, I just think there is a real inbalance in the calculation between men & woman. Perhaps because it doesn't account for muscle?

BMI is a useful tool, but only takes into account height versus weight. it takes no account of build or muscle mass, or gender.
Its only one tool I use as a CDC. I use the Ashwell shape calculator (waist measurement versus height) and also I have a body fat monitor. The tape measure is my best tool. It tells me that my clients are following the diet and that inches (fat) is being lost.

Yeah, it is a strange one. Only today I was discussing it with a bloke who is 5,7. I am only 5,3 and weigh more than a stone lighter than him at just under 13 stone, and yet we have the same BMI, and it doesn't seem right. It is purely based on height and weight, regardless of sex and build, and it doesn't always come out right. I suppose it is just a guide, but it does seem to be a better guide for women than men!

I tend to agree with you here mate, another thing with being overweight especially as a male and if you were fairly active is that you will of built up a fair bit of muscle just from carrying all the weight(as men naturally build more muscle than women and muscle weighs more than fat yet in a smaller area), ive noticed my calves and forearms are huge and extremely musclular just from being overweight and the extra work they were doing, guess im heavy built naturally also. My weight for a bmi 25 is 13st2 around there but theres no way i'll go that low. Think I will go for 14st and just work out and carry on doing weights and eating well and try and balance everything up.

I tend to agree with you here mate, another thing with being overweight especially as a male and if you were fairly active is that you will of built up a fair bit of muscle just from carrying all the weight(as men naturally build more muscle than women and muscle weighs more than fat yet in a smaller area), ive noticed my calves and forearms are huge and extremely musclular just from being overweight and the extra work they were doing, guess im heavy built naturally also. My weight for a bmi 25 is 13st2 around there but theres no way i'll go that low. Think I will go for 14st and just work out and carry on doing weights and eating well and try and balance everything up.

Good luck getting there mate - well on your way! I went from 22 stone 8, to 15 stone 2 first time on CD and 15 Stone 2 was about right for me (5 ft 11)

Good luck getting there mate - well on your way! I went from 22 stone 8, to 15 stone 2 first time on CD and 15 Stone 2 was about right for me (5 ft 11)
Thanks, nice to see some more blokes on it. I started on about 24 1/2stone and about 6 foot so was very big, hoping to be just below 18 this week and in shock, cant believe ive done it.
Well done on doing it once, did you ever post any before/after photos?, again theres hundreds of ladies but hardly any blokes. Good luck this time :)

Thanks, nice to see some more blokes on it. I started on about 24 1/2stone and about 6 foot so was very big, hoping to be just below 18 this week and in shock, cant believe ive done it.
Well done on doing it once, did you ever post any before/after photos?, again theres hundreds of ladies but hardly any blokes. Good luck this time :)

I didn't post any body shots, but I did post a face change - see link lol

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/27630-face-change-picture.html

I went from a size 50 waist to a size 36. Have put on and lost several times (4th time on CD) My advice to you would be, stay on it till you hit goal, don't come off early and think you will lose the rest by conventional dieting, it's hard enough to maintain, never minds lose more when you stop. You will feel a bigger high than you can imagine when you hit your goal weight!

I didn't post any body shots, but I did post a face change - see link lol

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/27630-face-change-picture.html

I went from a size 50 waist to a size 36. Have put on and lost several times (4th time on CD) My advice to you would be, stay on it till you hit goal, don't come off early and think you will lose the rest by conventional dieting, it's hard enough to maintain, never minds lose more when you stop. You will feel a bigger high than you can imagine when you hit your goal weight!
Wow thats 2 different people. I'll remember that advice though, not intending on stopping short just dont wanna end up looking gaunt which at 13st I think I would. Dont get huggs any more as i'm not a teddy bear and theyd be even less lightly if I go too low. :D

Wow thats 2 different people. I'll remember that advice though, not intending on stopping short just dont wanna end up looking gaunt which at 13st I think I would. Dont get huggs any more as i'm not a teddy bear and theyd be even less lightly if I go too low. :D

You will look a bit gaunt for a while, but that will pass after short time.

God its good to see other blokes on here.
I now weigh 13st11lbs at 6 foot but I am built like a racing snake thats just swallowed a horse! to get my gut back in proportion I need to get to below 13 stone so almost there now.Maybe we should start a men only team:)

Back