BMI Question

Teg

Posts when she can
I've been looking at peoples tickers and target weights and have a question. Ur BMI goes by weight and height but what about ur broadness. When i hit 12.5 stone i didn't feel fat any more (am now trying to loose a stone through maintenance) but now im wondering if i should go back on TFR and loose another stone or 2. A lot of people advised me to stop as i was loosing my figure.
Im 5f-8 and in a size 9 shoe.
What height and shoe size are ye
No smart comments from the lads please :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

I think BMI is too generic to be correct for everyone...

I'm 5'6 (& 3/4s !!), shoe size 9 & my BMI is supposed to mean a weight of 10 stone... I've NEVER been that light even when I was thin & toned...

Although short I'm verrr broad & stocky... it's all shoulders chest & arms with me... 44" chest optimum size (was @ 48 until recently, now @ 46...)

Hi Hun,
Bmi, doesnt take your frame into account! And its about 25 yrs out of date lol i would personally use it as a guide.

If you feel like going back on TFR as long as you are allowed go for it! People will always says 'oooo i think you should stop!' but, if you aren't happy just side step them and do what you feel is right.
Personally...i think i would lose the stone on TFR, rather than maintainence as its quicker...but, then i am soooooooooooooooo impatient xxx
I am 5'3" and size 4-5 my lowest healthy BMI, takes me to 9st 2 ...but, under all this fat i have quiet a small frame and was happier at 8st 6lbs(and was that for many years...so i know it was right) xx

i've got to say i agree with everything said so far.

i'm 5ft7 and when i get to about 11.5 or 12st i feel and look great, however according to the BMI i could be a lot slimmer.

my sister who is exactly the same height,build as me, weight 10.5 st and looks like hell............ b ut shes got a thyroid problem so struggles to mainatin her weight.

There was a programe on RTE last night about overweight kids. The child they were talking about was 3 and was chubby but by no means fat. They said the childs BMI was reading obese. Such a load of crap. Isnt it typical for a child to fatten up a bit just before a growth spurt. I see that all the time with my gang.
With all the dietitions out there ud think someone would update it.
Nic think i will go back on LT 4 3 weeks. Ill be killed by hubby but its my body, my rules ......

Im 5ft8 and size 7 trainer. When i was at my fittest i weighed in between 10-11 stone , i think it is slightly thin for me personally so my utlimate goal is more like 11.5. But my ticker BMI is set for 25 so when i get to that point i will see how i look and feel and then judge how much morei should lose or what dress size suits my new post baby and stretched figure.

There was a programe on RTE last night about overweight kids. The child they were talking about was 3 and was chubby but by no means fat. They said the childs BMI was reading obese. Such a load of crap. Isnt it typical for a child to fatten up a bit just before a growth spurt. I see that all the time with my gang.
With all the dietitions out there ud think someone would update it.
Nic think i will go back on LT 4 3 weeks. Ill be killed by hubby but its my body, my rules ......
Kids BMI is sooooooooooo wrong..yes, they go through chubby stages before a growth spurt and i don't take any notice of bmi charts with my 2..as long as they are eating ok and don't look overweight ...thats fine by me.

You go girl!!!

I agree BMI is out of date. I'm officially overweight according to my BMI, but the doctor measured my fat (with an electronic gizmo that you hold in both hands...cool) and it was well in the normal range. He said he had a body builder who was officially 'obese' according to BMI, but that this guy was one of the fittest men he's seen (and not in the gay way LOL).

I wouldnt worry too much about BMI...like the others have said, its a guide only.

I know everyone is different but I definitely know my BMI is right for me.

My Healthy range BMI:

Upper BMI 25 = 9ST 2
Mid BMI 21 = 7ST 12
Lowest BMI 19 = 6ST 10

I used to weigh around 8st for ages and when I look at pictures I look really good. Very healthy and slim without being skinny. I also know when I am above 9st I am definitely overweight. One time I went down to 6st 10 and everyone I met told me I looked really underweight. So I definitely believe that BMI is correct for me.

I also sometimes think people think they are more stocky than they really are. Many people see their ideal BMI and think there is no way that is true for me... but then as they loose weight and get closer to it, they maybe realise that their ideal weight is not too far away from the BMI indication.

BMI is only an indication but I dont think it is miles out... maybe slightly different for some people, especially body builders! As muscle weighs more than fat and them guys are built like tanks! lol

Hey Teg, I think we're roughly around the same weight and height. Im 5ft 8.5 and Im currently 12st 7 (I started at 15st plus) Im a size 9 shoe and at the moment a size 16 (which is loose). Id like to get down to 11st before comming of LT but Im finding the weight loss is slowing down for me to achieve that before I head away on hols.

What are you currently on, maintenance, or a different diet?

I refeed for a week, watched the intake 4 a week and now im on maintanence 2 shakes + 1 meal. Finding it ok now after a very bad day 2. Wi on Tues. I came off the diet happy 2 loose the rest slowly but now im not sure. I don't want to get boney if u know what i mean. 11 stone 4 me would be awful thin but would it ....i havn't been that weight since i was 16. Ill see how i do this week.

Back