BMI

DopeyAngel

Sweet wrapper fetishist.
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if people had an opinion on BMI. Obviously we are all working towards losing weight and therefore being healthier. To me this includes being the right BMI.

My main goal initially was to get to the correct BMI after I saw the nurse at my GP and she advised me I was clinically obsese :eek:

I've lost quite a bit now but I'm starting to worry that a healthy BMI might not be possible for me. Can I really push myself that far? :confused:

I know that everyone is different shapes and sizes. I'm pretty short so although 10 stone sounds like quite a lot - at nearly 1 1/2 stone away from that now, I'm a bit worried I might not be able to get much slimmer!

I wondered what other people's feelings about BMI are really.

Maybe I'm just being defeatest? Maybe BMI isn't all its cracked up to be?

Your thoughts?:)

I think BMI is really arbitary. You ahve to be a weight you are comfy and happy, and that you can sustain healthily. It is now generaly accepted that being a bit 'overweight' consistently, is far far healthier than yo-yoing. I wouldn't get too hung up on some arbitary figure and concentrate on where you feel happy, fit and healthy, and ensure you eat hralthily and incorporate plenty of exercise. Just my twopennith

Lynda

i would say that BMI readings now aren't really worth much because they dont take into account age or muscle mass which can have a major impact on your weight.

e.g muscley men look obese on a bmi chart
older women who have had multiple c-sections tend to have alot of scar tissue which is impossible to lose through dieting.

No they are simply a rough guide
All that matters is that YOU are happy with your body, if you are happy with how you look at a certain point even if its in the overweight section then stay there.

i
older women who have had multiple c-sections tend to have alot of scar tissue which is impossible to lose through dieting.

O I like you ;) Ive had 3 c-sections (my body doesnt work not through choice)so thats why I weigh alot :eek: I wish ......

Seriously I got down to 11 stone 3 in 2005 and Im 5ft 2 but Im very top heavy,I was in a size 12 jeans so bmi is a little silly as my top bmi is 9 stone 11 on ww and I havent been there since 1992 :sigh::sigh: and I know it will be hard for me to get that low again.I am going for 11 stone 4 for my goal which I think maybe BMI 28?? Havent worked it out.
As said maybe go for what you can achieve I think as long as its 20 something it should be healthy?xx

Although BMI is a guide, what is now known to be important is waist size. For women this should be under 34" to protect you from serious cardiac and blood pressure problems. Measuring yourself regularly may give you a pleasant boost whilst the scales become static. Unless you have polycystic ovary syndrome or hypothyroidism everyone has the potential to be in normal BMI range. People don't stay overweight if they eat less than their bodies physically need to function. Good luck xx

Although BMI is a guide, what is now known to be important is waist size. For women this should be under 34" to protect you from serious cardiac and blood pressure problems. Measuring yourself regularly may give you a pleasant boost whilst the scales become static. Unless you have polycystic ovary syndrome or hypothyroidism everyone has the potential to be in normal BMI range. People don't stay overweight if they eat less than their bodies physically need to function. Good luck xx

It's just that some need less than others!!!

Lynda

Brightenrose, have you definitely decidsed to give WW a go? How are you getting on? I know you ahve struggled with cal counting and losing that last stubborn bit. Be interested to know how you're finding WW now.

Lynda

O I like you ;) Ive had 3 c-sections (my body doesnt work not through choice)so thats why I weigh alot :eek: I wish ......

Seriously I got down to 11 stone 3 in 2005 and Im 5ft 2 but Im very top heavy,I was in a size 12 jeans so bmi is a little silly as my top bmi is 9 stone 11 on ww and I havent been there since 1992 :sigh::sigh: and I know it will be hard for me to get that low again.I am going for 11 stone 4 for my goal which I think maybe BMI 28?? Havent worked it out.
As said maybe go for what you can achieve I think as long as its 20 something it should be healthy?xx

yeah my mum had six c-sections and cant feel half her stomache now because theres so much scar tissue, and it wont ever go from dieting.

It's just that some need less than others!!!

Lynda
Hi Lynda and thank you for asking. I am
giving fast forward a go this week which basically is SW's regulated 1000 calories a day plan. I hope to get things moving again and then decide which one to go for xxx

Thanks peoples, some interesting bits.
TBH I think it's unlikely I'll get into the right BMI but I guess it's worth working towards!
Reckon having a limb lopped off my get me to the right weight tho ;)

I had my checked at some organic thingy where I was helping out with SWT. The lady said my boobies would affect it, so I don't think it's too accurate. Body fat is more important, but again my boobies would affect that. Just aim for a picture in your head or a size.

omg seriously?! wow my waist is 34" haha ... byebye diet! :D :D .. i wish! :p I think everyone has an 'ideal' weight that they realistically would like to be, or a certain way they want to look, and i think as long as the individual is happy with the way they look etc then it doesn't matter about BMI... HOWEVER to me BMI i don't know why but it just appeals to me, and i'd like to see that 24.4 so i can say woo i'm healthy! luckily for me that's at 11st so i've got another 2 and a half stone to go! But i will get there and tbh i wanted to get to 11stone anyway and this just gives me that extra bit of motivation... at 13st 10lbs now.. i need to get to 13st 2lbs to be just 'overweight' and that alone is pushing me more to exercise everyday to put down that extra treat i don't need etc, but again that's just a personal goal and achievement i'd like to meet :) if i get to 12st or 11 and a half stone and feel happy and look good, then i won't be pushing myself a lot to get to 11st! but would be nice.. it's just one of those things you know yourself what you will be happy with and what you want to go along with :)

there is research to say it is better to be a little overweight and fit than slim and unfit.

For me it is important. For those days when I am having a fat day (have always had a weight problem in my head but it has only been in the past few years that it has been an actual physical weight problem) I can remind myself that I am a "healthy" weight.

My logic makes sense to me anyway :eek:

xxx

I just want to look in the mirror and like what I see. I wonder if that will ever happen!!??

What is fast forward Brightenrose? Think maybe I could do with that. Good luck with it, must be strict.

Lynda

I'm glad that although people are 'bearing BMI in mind', we're not all totally obsessed. I think I was just starting to panic that if I never get there I might have failed. But it seems there are lots of different ways to interpret BMI and I'm also glad to hear of the research which indicates that fitness is most important. Despite weight!

What is fast forward Brightenrose? Think maybe I could do with that. Good luck with it, must be strict.

Lynda

If you go onto my food diary in SW you will see 3 typical days of very little food. I think it is worked out around 1000 calories in a preset form that cannot be changed. You do have some limited choices but I am now quite hungry and no units left :(

Back