Bob Harper - The Skinny Rules

laurenmay

Gold Member
I urge you all to buy this book! I'm a fan of the biggest loser anyway, but never thought to buy any of the books or DVD's released by the trainers themselves..

I now have Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, after seeing loads of amazing reviews and results on this forum and other Internet sites. And thanks to a member on the CC forum, I now have the Bob Harper Skinny Rules book.

It's really informative. I'm on page 45 already and can't put it down. Things you once thought were 'good' for you turn out to be not so good, things you never thought about eating you should be eating, daily! Definitely a must have for anyone on a weight loss journey, regardless of their path, whether it's CC or weight watchers or anything else.

I got it for £12 on amazon, everybody go buy! It's like my new diet bible! :)

- "Yesterday you said tomorrow..."

It's arrived!!!! Pleased your happy with the book.
When are you starting it?
The turkey meatballs are fab by the way.
If you need any help or advice just give me a shout.
Not sure how often you weigh, but I would recommend every day to start with, as it motivates you more seeing the lbs come off.
Look forward to hearing about your progress :)

I'm already on part two, the steps for success part now! I'll probably have to give the book another read when I'm done, it's easy to forget what step is which! And I'm a quick reader but sometimes don't take everything in so it's definitely a twice over book. I'm starting fresh tomorrow, and incorporating all the steps. Having a three egg white omelette with coffee first thing in the morning - but not before a big glass of water ;) haha. Thanks for introducing me to it, think its going to be a life saver! xx

I'm on the menus section now, do you actually follow the menu plans he has set out for the first four weeks? I won't be - I'm still choosing to calorie count but incorporating the skinny rules into it. So I will drink water before every meal, eat apples & berries everyday, lots of protein etc, but just not follow his menu down to the letter.

That's exactly what I did, just stuck to 1200 cals and made my own menus. Presumably your logging on MFP, the number to concentrate on the most is the fibre. I aim 30g a day, which is not always easy to achieve. So I enter all my planned food in a morning and have to swap things around until I hit the fibre target.
The first day is the harder day, but when you step on the scales the next day it is worth it. Then when you go to bed a bit hungry the 2nd night you know your body is about to start burning fat, so the hunger mode is not a problem.
My first proper week on plan I lost just under 4lb!! Which is huge considering I only have 1.25lb to go until I hit goal!!!!!

Incidentally drinking all this water, especially the first drink in the morning, and eating such healthy food, does wonders for your skin and your energy levels go through the roof after a couple of days!!!
So worth the effort involved :)
Thank you Bob Harper!!!!

Well I'm up getting ready for work now, and drunk a 500ml bottle of water as soon as I got up. Now eating 3 egg whites with one whole egg scrambled, I don't have time this morning to make an omelette or experiment with stuff so will save that for another day. Also got a coffee, but with 100ml skimmed milk cause I can't stand black coffee!!

I won't be able to follow the plan 100% today, as our fridge freezer broke down yesterday so we've had to turn it off for 24 hours to let it defrost and switch it back on later this evening - so everything has gone in the bin really! Our shopping is being delivered this evening, and I've made sure I've ordered plenty of apples and berries!

Just checked my fibre intake for the days calories I've planned and it's only 14 - but without fruit in the house till this evening it's gonna be difficult to hit the 30 target today. But it says I'll be consuming 93g of protein today, and that's half of my weight so what I need for today!

Oops - I made up 3 egg whites and then another whole egg this morning, but then read the book and it says 3 eggs & one of the yolks from one. So basically 2 eggs just the whites and then one whole egg, am I right? Confused!

Oh no hope you didn't lose to much food.

I use 2 whole eggs and 2 whites for omelettes.

Expect to be constantly trotting to the toilet by the way, I spend my life there!!! I end up drinking around 3 litres a day, plus tea and coffee.

Well I had 3 large egg whites and a medium whole egg, so it's about 121 calories altogether so only 9 more calories than what Bob advises.. But tomorrow I'll do it the right way and have 3 eggs - 2 whites and one whole.

I need a wee already, and I've already had 2 this morning!!

How are you getting on?

Well I'm starting his rules properly today, cause now I've got everything I need! Apples, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and Greek yogurt ;)

But how the hell do you manage to hit your fiber goal? I'm not eating many carbs and don't like Wholegrain pasta or anything, so can't get fiber from any of that..

Do you eat Wholemeal bread? I eat lots of veg and wholegrain pasta.
Could you eat wholegrain pasta with a sauce? It took a few goes to get into wholegrain pasta, but now I love it. I tried adding sauce each time to start with though.

You can maybe get a few ideas from my MFP diary?
Fibre is definately the biggest challenge of the plan.

Baked beans are a good source of fibre, half a can is 7g?

Well I'm only on 1050 calories a day, so any form of carbs take up a huge chunk of my daily calorie allowance and that puts me off. I eat hovis granary bread now and again, and baked beans are also quite hefty in calories aren't they?

To be honest I'm considering re thinking my calorie allowance, I got 1050 from the doctor of the biggest loser who says this is a way to lose weight quickly while staying healthy & wont send the body into starvation or mess with metabolism - but it makes it difficult to squeeze a lot of fiber rich foods in!

I obviously wanna lose weight, and the quicker it comes off the better, but I wanna be healthy and fit along the way too!

1050 is a bit tight to fit everything in. Bob did suggest 1200 cals, which is what I am on and my loses are good. Might be worth upping to 1200 for a week and see what happens??

Yeah that's true, I think I will go up to 1200 for a week and see how I get on. You do loadsss of exercise though don't you, and I don't think I could do that much!

I haven't done a great deal in the last week and I have still been losing.
Must admit when I did lots of exercise I didn't lose any weight. I have been stuck at the same weight for months, until I did this plan.

I'm thinking of having 1050 calories six days of the week, and then 2100 on a Friday, so a maintenance day, and then it averages out as 1200 a day over the course of the week anyway.

I'll make sure to follow Bob's rules every single day, even on maintenance day and have the right amount of protein and fibre etc, but at least then if I fancy a bar of chocolate or what not then I can have it within my calories on the Friday, and gives me something to look forward to.

What you reckon?

Sounds a plan. I found when I had a really really bad w/e, that two days back on plan corrected it.
Which gives me comfort that I can have a relaxed w/e if I need to and that it wont ruin my hard work.
You are meant to have a splurge meal once a week anyway.
I am really interested in how your losses will go. I have been looking online and people have lost up to 10lb in a week..!!!! Biggest loser style or what!!! No idea how much they weigh though. Everyone is recording good losses though.

Back