Bob Harper - The Skinny Rules

I do ok on protein, but I do eat eggs and chicken nearly every day.
My struggle is fibre, 30g is so hard to achieve.

MinnieMel said:
Hi Mods!!!

Could we possibly get a Skinny Rules forum? I was thinking it'd be great to discuss the 2O rules on different threads -- for example Bob's protein rule -- says that I should get 70 grams per day. How to do that within my calories and not using "processed" supplements is a real challenge.

Thanks.

Yes forum is a great idea... Where would it go? Under cal counting or healthy eating? Do we need to msg moderators directly? X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Shazzabir said:
I do ok on protein, but I do eat eggs and chicken nearly every day.
My struggle is fibre, 30g is so hard to achieve.

Yea I'm the same... Bob does seem to exaggerate the fibre content of things. For example in his book he put the half a cup of sliced strawberries is 9g! It's more like 3????
I've been having all bran for brekkie as that packs in 11g then with some berries brings it up to about 15g but quite a bit of sugar in all bran so prob shouldn't use... X

Donzy84 said:
Yea I'm the same... Bob does seem to exaggerate the fibre content of things. For example in his book he put the half a cup of sliced strawberries is 9g! It's more like 3????
I've been having all bran for brekkie as that packs in 11g then with some berries brings it up to about 15g but quite a bit of sugar in all bran so prob shouldn't use... X

I just looked at my MFP for yest and you'll have to excuse the afternoon/evening as I was at a hog roast and not on plan but I did manage to get 32g of fibre... I got some roasted edamame (soya) beans and some wasabi peas from asda and they are both quite high in fibre. X

After getting and reading that page that was posted about bobs rules ( I have not got the book, do not got the indepth knowledge of the rules. ) I tried it yesterday as an experiment, now it might be a coincidence but I weighed myself this morning and I've lost a pound. So I'm gonna try the basic of what I did yesterday ie 500 ml drink first thing and before every meal. Bit of protein in every meal. And a brazil nut every now and again. Also no artificial sugar.

Last edited:
Carrieblue - I lost everyday I followed the plan. It really is motivating when you see the scales move in the right direction everyday :)

Donzy84 said:
Yes forum is a great idea... Where would it go? Under cal counting or healthy eating? Do we need to msg moderators directly? X

Good question - I think Healthy Eating. I think we'd need to PM a moderator.

I was doing a bit of browsing and found this on the Atkins forum, and I think it makes sense, ( with my understanding of the skinny rules - remember I don't have the book so excuse me if I have interpreted it wrong) just took a snippet as follows:

Found this on another forum - really good post
smile.gif

1. Sodium - Limit consumption of products loaded with sodium such as bacon, ham, sausage, salami, and hot dogs. The preservatives (sodium nitrates) used give these products a longer shelf life but eaten in quantities, they will cause water retention in many of us. If you eat bacon for breakfast, sausage for lunch and ham for dinner, you may wonder why you've stalled even though these foods are low in carbs. Salt will hold onto water for dear life. The more you eat, the more it holds onto water. If a prepared food has a long shelf life, it may have a lot of added salt preservatives.

2. Water - The proper amount of water to drink is until your urine runs clear. There's no magic amount, like 72 oz per day. It varies too much based on your body size, amount of exercise and sweat and other factors including what you eat. The darker your urine, the more deficient you are in your water intake.

3. Water Substitutes - A lot of people don't like drinking water. The only possible substitutes I know that pretty much count as water is club soda (no sodium) and spring water. Note that tonic water is not the same as club soda as it has sweeteners.

4. Sweeteners - Though sweeteners may claim to be 0 carb and 0 calories, they cause weight gain. I've come to learn it doesn't matter what brand of sweetener it is, whether it's aspartame, splenda, stevia, or sugar alcohols. These sweeteners will spike your blood sugar, increase the amount of insulin your body produces, and the extra insulin gets stored as fat. The 1 month I started drinking diet soda again, I gained 9 lbs more that month than any average month, despite intense exercise and keeping my diet the same as the previous 16 months. This extends to more than just diet soda, it includes crystal light, sugar-free jello, Atkins bars, Atkins shakes, tonic water, and possibly even chewing gum. You are limited to 3 servings of fake sweeteners per day on Atkins. The less you consume, the better it is for your weight loss.

Carrieblue - I lost everyday I followed the plan. It really is motivating when you see the scales move in the right direction everyday :)

Shazzabir I'm in love with this, I cant believe it, shock and only because I find it so so hard to loose weight, I only have to look at food to see I've put on, so loosing that 1 lb in a day is amazing and seeing that you loose everyday is inspirational.
Thanks

I see the recipes all include fish and meat, would it work for a vegan or vegetarian?

Pingu6 said:
I see the recipes all include fish and meat, would it work for a vegan or vegetarian?

Hiya I think it would he does advocate having a lot of protein but I doesn't need to be from animal sources. Bob harper used to be a vegan but isn't anymore
You don't need to follow his recipes you could just follow his rules x

Hiya I think it would he does advocate having a lot of protein but I doesn't need to be from animal sources. Bob harper used to be a vegan but isn't anymore
You don't need to follow his recipes you could just follow his rules x

Hello all in now interested to read more about this book but one rule can anyone explain is the go to bed hungry number 18?? Does anyone do this? X

*Shanny* said:
Hello all in now interested to read more about this book but one rule can anyone explain is the go to bed hungry number 18?? Does anyone do this? X

I'm gonna try, only in the sense that I'm going to try not to eat after 8pm x

I found it a bit hard going to bed feeling slightly hungry on the first day. I soon realised this stage is putting your body in fat burning mode, so then welcomed the feeling as I knew I had followed the plan correctly and that by the morning I would have lost weight.

*Shanny* said:

Shanny,

The idea is to not have any calories within three hours if going to bed (and if you are following get enough sleep rule) after a few hours of sleep your metabolism will be burning your fat stores -- as you are out if fuel... Then you wake up, drink your water, have your breakfast within hour and your metabolism keeps going... And going... And going...

Last edited:
good info/ clarification minimel

Shanny,

The idea is to not have any calories within three hours if going to bed (and if you are following get enough sleep rule) after a few hours of sleep your metabolism will be burning your fat stores -- as you are out if fuel... Then you wake up, drink your water, have your breakfast within hour and your metabolism keeps going... And going... And going...
where did u buy your book from Mel? please x

The base bookstore. I'm not sure how is was... It is hardback. I can check.

Back