Body fat % - anyone use it?

LincsBren

Silver Member
I've just bought some new scales with the ability to calculate body fat % and hydration % and have totally depressed myself!

Has anyone used them before? My weight and size are going down, but one of the key reasons I decided to make a real effort to lose weight and do LT is because of a family history of heart disease, so I really want to lower my body fat %.

Hi Lincsbren, i used one of these scales in the gym when I went for about 4 weeks before I left... You will see the fat % dropping week on week. For me it was slow... Maybe with LT it will drop faster. In theory it should. I weighted my self at home to day 3 days after my weigh in and cried when i saw i was the same weight as i was on wednesday. I think we sometimes want to be slim so badly we want it instantly. Give it time, I'd say in a few weeks you'll love your new scales xxx

Hello, my scales do fat %. I have gone from 50% fat (a bit like Clover spread or something) to 45% fat (this is after losing 27lbs). I am no mathematician, so don't know if this means I have lost muscle mass as well. I am not sure how very accurate they are because the leaflet with mine said that they are less accurate for women, tall women and women with large breasts (I am all three). Also, I think I've gained some muscle as I've been doing weights and resistance work since July and everything feels tighter. Anyone else got any experience of these things?

try not to worry so much about the body fat % they can be way off and as you tone and build muscle it will knock the readings.

Bren if it's heart disease you're worried about then waist circumference is far and away the best way to estimate your risk.

Our scales are those all-singing-all-dancing ones too, but I have to say I never use that facility - too much more to worry about! ;)

I know you're right, and my waist has gone down by 6" from 40" to 34". I know another factor for heart disease is waist:hips ratio (should be under 0.8) - mine has gone from 0.87 to 0.77 so am really pleased!

Back