Body Magic - how important?

systema

Calorie Counting
Could I ask how important you think SW Body Magic is as part of the whole SW success?
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 the lowest.

It was something that was said at group and wondered what others thought.

As far as I am concerned I would say as important as the food - 10

I think its very possible to lose a lot of weight on sw without exercise (sorry calling it body magic makes me cringe!) However as sw is a plan for life and a lifestyle change, obviously increasing activity is great for that in the long term. I'm on the fence a bit here!
When starting the plan I would say importance 1/10 but as you get more into it that number increases. For people like me who don't have much to lose it is defintely more important I would say and as everyone gets closer to target it generally gets harder to lose so more exercise helps there.
I now just need to take my own advice and find some time and energy at the end of my 12hr working days! X

I'd say leading an active lifestyle is equally as important as eating healthily, therefore it would be a 10 for me. People do get great results on SW regardless of Body Magic.. but why wouldn't you do everything possible to maximise your success?

Just to add.. Body Magic doesn't have to mean hours sweating in the gym. Certainly, if you are new to exercise, just increasing your activity levels will have an impact on both your health and your weight loss. Take the stairs, get off the bus a stop early, go for a walk, dance along to your favourite tunes whilst doing housework.. it all counts.
I currently go to the gym and swimming 2-3 times a week but I have made changes in my life that mean I no longer spend it sitting on the sofa. (Except after 8pm, when I can be found face-first in a mug of Options whilst watching crap TV!)

Intense aerobic exercise might burn 300 cal in half an hour. five times a week makes 1500 calories. You need to be in calorie deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound so this would make less than half a pounds difference. On the other hand these differences all add up over time and if you exercise regularly your metabolic rate increases and you might burn around 50 extra calories a day without doing anything extra (if you have done really well). A roughly average basal metabolic rate is around 1300 calories per day - much more used just existing than by exercising. it would be so easy to wipe the benefits off by overeating on just a chocolate bar a day.

I therefore think the food is much more important and put the exercise at around 4/10.

I still do it though as every little helps and it is generally good for me to be fitter.

I would say 8/10 I have known people to lose loads on slimming world without exercise - however I have recently started upping my activity levels and my body is changing loads, I have loose arm and tummy skin and things are improving, also its great to make you feel good about your self with the endorphin's that are released, which in turn I feel helps you make healthier choices. Also Its great for when people are maintaining like my BF is, he can have quite a few small treats not within his sins but due to the exercise he is staying in goal.

depends what you're after. losing weight is mostly about diet. i am after the complete life overhaul, i want to be fit and active, not just thinner. i've almost complete c25k now and i've not lost any weight the whole time i've been doing it. lately that's because i got the hump and lost motivation and eaten the wrong things, but for the first month i was well on plan and nothing was happening. but it will start moving again and i feel stronger and fitter already. it's totally a 10 for me but only a 4 as far as SW goes i think.

For me exercise is so important. I think my main motivation to lose weight is so I can be more active, climb mountains, run marathons and go on really adventurous holidays! I love that in group we are always encouraging each other to try new things and fit in activity wherever we can in our busy lives. Definitely a 10.

Definitely a 10 for me aswel...I've dropped over 6.5 stone upto now with minimum amount of excess skin and regularly run 2-3 miles in an evening. I love the way my legs and arms have muscle tone now,plus lean muscle burns more calories at rest than fat :)

Definitely a 10 for me aswel...I've dropped over 6.5 stone upto now with minimum amount of excess skin and regularly run 2-3 miles in an evening. I love the way my legs and arms have muscle tone now,plus lean muscle burns more calories at rest than fat :)

Wow - that's fantastic. Well done you. Definitely an inspiration to get my running shoes on more often. Still love a cheesey aerobics class as well though!

Back