Bone Marrow Donor

RubyMoss

Silver Member
I've signed up today to be a Bone Marrow donor!

Nervous as hell (even though you might never get called up!) but the way I see it, is that for a minimal amount of discomfort, I could help save someones life!

Wow, that's very courageous! I was worried about registering as an organ donor (even though I'd be dead for them to harvest organs...)

Good on you!

Allie - we were told when we were in uni that cadavers from this country went to France. Not sure if that's true! At least you'd get a trip across the water out of it ;)

RubyMoss - well done on joining the Bone Marrow donation register hun! I'm a blood donor, I'm on the bone marrow register and an organ donor. It's quite likely we'll never be a match for someone (and fingers crossed that people are lucky with their health and don't need us!), but it's nice to know that we may end up saving somebody's life :)

Sian xxx

Im on the Anthony Nolan list and a couple of years ago they thought I was a match...... lots of tests later turned out no good as a match but I would have loved to have actually done it!!

Its for bone marrow hun - it looked good for a while and was almost ready to pop down to london but trurned out no good for the patient - I was gytted for them :(

Good on you, I work for the national blood &transplant service.

If ur an organ donor if ur completely dead organs r no good. U have to be only brain dead, this is something I never knew. So for example if u were in an accident & dead at the scene no good if ur brain dead u can help someone out.

This is National transplant week.

My fil had a transplant 2 yrs ago so we are all donors.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you wonderful people who have signed up to the donor register. I'm currently waiting for a transplant and will never be able to thank my donor in person but they will be a true hero and life saver for me.

xxx

Awwww (((honey))) If only it was a simple thing you could have mine right now! I've been a donor since the register first came out and nobody has wanted it yet. I'd glady give it to anyone who needed it.

I hope with all my heart you get your donor soon xxx

Thank you Shrinking Bev and Dudette. I unfortunately need an organ that cannot come from a living donor (like a kidney can). I'm waiting for a pair of lungs as I have cystic fibrosis. It makes life kinda interesting and I try to live life to the full.....thanks to my car, wheelchair and my absolutely stylish (NOT) mobility scooter...lol

Anyway I hope all is well with you both and thanks again for your support.

xxx

Well done for signing up to do it hun how do you go about it suppose they have to take bloods etc first?
Honey i hope you get your transplant soon hun, you are so brave, how old are you if you don't mind me asking and do you have to have heart and lung?

Good luck sweetheart xxx

My friends son had a lung transplant due to cystic fibrosis 5 years ago now, and his life has been changed beyond all recognition.

Your day will come xxx

Well done for signing up to do it hun how do you go about it suppose they have to take bloods etc first?
Honey i hope you get your transplant soon hun, you are so brave, how old are you if you don't mind me asking and do you have to have heart and lung?

I'm 35, so doing pretty world for a cf'er. My heart is in really good working order (at least something in me works well....lol) so I only need lungs.

I was thinking, thanks to foodjunkie, if anyone has any questions about donation and/or transplant, i'm more than happy to answer them....if I can.

xxx

Thanks for the reply hun i'm just curious really as i'm a nurse.
Do you have to carry a beep incase they contact you and do you know where you are on the list?

Thanks for the reply hun i'm just curious really as i'm a nurse.
Do you have to carry a beep incase they contact you and do you know where you are on the list?

No bleep, but I think some centres do issue them. For me they have my mobile and home number as well as my hubbys mobile and work numbers. Hopefully that should be enough to get hold of me.

As for where I am on the list, the list doesn't quite work that way. When some organs become available they are scrutinised and matched to people waiting based upon blood and tissue type, antibodies and size. If a couple of people match the criteria then they'll look at time spent on the list and/or who's the sickest.

xxx

I registered on the Anthony Nolan Trust website years ago, I too was thought to be a match & when I got the letter explaining how painful it was I did have second thoughts, in the end I did have further tests but wasnt a match.

I also give blood as does my daughter, son & OH are to scared:D

Me, daughter & son registered on the organ donor list, but OH said he didn't want to. When I explained if he died before me & his organs could be used I'd give my permission he then agreed to be on the register.;) Personally I don't think it's right that even though OH doesn't want to donate his organs, I can, and will, give my permission.

Gosh what brave people you all are.

I would love to be a donor, blood, marrow, organs.

My blood is not acceptable because I had jaundice as a babe.
I don't think my bone marrow is acceptable either because of my cancer. Honey perhaps you can answer that one.

I think my organs will be accepted.

Rubymoss, you are a star. Thanks for starting this thread.

Gosh what brave people you all are.

I would love to be a donor, blood, marrow, organs.

My blood is not acceptable because I had jaundice as a babe.
I don't think my bone marrow is acceptable either because of my cancer. Honey perhaps you can answer that one.

I think my organs will be accepted.

Rubymoss, you are a star. Thanks for starting this thread.

I'll be honest, i'm not sure what the exlcusions are for being an organ donor apart from things like HIV. It would probably be well worth a look at the organ donation site as i'm sure they would be able to clarify for you whether you could be a donor.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

xxx

Back