Boob size and weight loss

BevBunny

I started healthy eating via SW (I've never thought of it as a diet as its not, its how I eat now) in June and have lost about 3.5 stone. I've gone from a clothes size 20 to a size 14. But, have still been wearing the same bra's - I've just been putting them on the smaller hook and eyes, and tightening the straps. I decided today that they really weren't fitting well so I decided to go and get measured, and get new ones.

I've always got my bra's from Bravissimo as I'm fairly well endowed, and got measured regularly prior to losing weight. I used to be a 38E. I assumed that I'd go down at least one back size, and probably a cup size smaller too.

Oh no, I've gone up one and a half cups! I'm a 34FF! It doesn't make sense. :confused:

The lady said its quite common as my breasts are the same size but now stick out more as theres no fat. Friends who are losing weight are complaining that they're losing their breasts. Its all a bit odd.

What is everyone elses experiences?

Last edited:
The same happened to me. I lost 3 stone doing Weight Watchers, before I was wearing a 34H and after I went and got measured I'm not in a 30J. I was hoping to lose some weight from my boobs but thats not happened.

I also shop at Bravissimo. I think they measure and do things very differently to other shops so that could be it. Partciularly as you go down on the back, you go up on the cup. I'm not bothered about the size really, as long as I have a good bra that fits. What they said about being the same size but sticking out more makes sense. I did want to lose some from my boobs as you can imagine they're very heavy and get quite a bit of attention, especially now I'm a bit slimmer. Started again on Slimming World so we'll see what happens with mine after that!

I fully expect to go up a cup size when I am properly measured again. Sadly I am also generously sized up top (and come from a family of large busted women !). When I lose weight although some of it comes off my boobs, much more comes off my overall chest dimensions. The same sized boobs will be a different cup size depending on your back size. So if your boobs stay the same size and you go down a back size, you will go up a cup size. Great......not !

Some people here lose their boobs almost completely when they lose but I'm not one of them :sigh:

Oh well, we always want what we haven't got !!!!

Gail x

Excellent news, I was beginning to think I was odd - I genuinely believed everyone lost a substantial amount of their boobs when losing weight.

I quite like my boobs so am really pleased that I haven't lost them. :)

doesn't it depend on the makeup of your boobs?
if it's mostly breast tissue then losing fat won't make much difference, but it it's fat then it obviously will..

Might I just add on behalf of men everywhere.....
woohoo for SW!!! :)

LOL @ Coljack

I was 40H and now I'm 34H. I go to a proper lingerie shop to get measured and buy my bras. The lady there said that the fullness will always be there but the back size changes.
I think it's worth the extra money to have a properly fitting bra, it makes all my clothes look better.

Last edited:
I have gone from a 44 DD to a 38 DD

Pre-SW I was wearing a 34G. Got measured recently and I'm now a 28H!! I too was shocked, was certain I'd lost in the cup as much as, if not more than in the back.

Although, since wearing the right size, I've had a serious abundance of 'you look so slim!'/'you look fantastic'/'have you lost more weight?!' comments, even though I've only had gains for the last month, so it's obviously true what they say about a good fitting bra!

Well mine are getting smaller :(

forgive my ignorance, it's not something I have to know in general, but isn't cup size decided from the difference between the measurement under and over the boobs?
so if you're losing inches from the under measurement then the difference is going to be bigger?

Hi all

Im another who has an ever growing cup size :D... as Im losing more squidge from my band measurement -so far I have gone from a 52C to an 40E ..and me thinks that I only need to lose a fraction more from my band and Im going to be an F :p

I have just been sorting out my underwear draw and worked out eith my OH that I have dropped from a 38D to a 38C, yeah but annoying having to shed out on money for bras, grrr!

Coljaks right.... Your cup size is worked out by a difference between measurements under and around breasts.
A 34FF has the same amount of boobage (!) as a 38E so really you havn't got bigger.
It's some thing like the size in inches around your breasts minus the distance around your ribcage minus 4 or 5 depending on if it odd or even and then every inch you have left is a cup size.
Although I've always been told that measuring them doesn't work with bigger sizes because it's not accurate so you've just got to give a bra a bash and have a look.
Also I get really frustrated about the difference in different brands. Sometimes I can be 2 cup sizes and a back size different in different brands (this is before breastfeeding btw)

Back