Book Club

I read that too - it's brilliant, but will make you cry.

i'm in the process of reading 'we've got to talk about kevin' heavy stuff and took me a while to get into but am hooked now.

Good morning everyone,

So this is the big day, I have chosen a book and I believe it is one you will all enjoy reading. It is fiction so it will be a challenge for you folks who only read factual stuff, but try and go with it...

The book is called "A Special Relationship" and is written by an American writer called Douglas Kennedy. He is now living in London.

He is one of my favourite writers, I think he is incredibly clever and this book is interesting in that the main character is a woman and I think he captures a woman's perspective very well.

You may of course all disagree with me and that is the fun of a book club, everybody gets something different out of a book.

For those of you living in the UK, I know you have good libraries so I hope you can get it there, but it can be got from Amazon of course.

When you have got the book, let me know and I will give you some pointers regarding reading it, things to observe and so on.

Please try and get hold of the book as soon as possible and we can get started. I am allowing a month for everyone to read it. For those of you who read much faster, don't worry, I have lots more titles for you to try and will give you the second book on the list soon.

Happy reading
Matty

About Douglas Kennedy
Douglas Kennedy's novels - The Big Picture, The Job and The Pursuit of Happiness - have all been critically praised bestsellers. His first novel, The Dead Heart, has been filmed as Welcome to Woop-Woop. He is also the author of three acclaimed travel books: Beyond the Pyramids, In God's Country and Chasing Mammon. His work has been translated into sixteen languages. Born in Manhattan in 1955, he lives in London with his wife and two children.

Special Relationship(2003)
A novel by
Douglas Kennedy

Next book >>
by
Douglas Kennedy

Douglas Kennedy's new novel bears his trademark ability to write serious popular fiction. A true page turner about a woman whose entire life is turned upside down in a very foreign place where they speak her language. 'About an hour after I met Tony Thompson, he changed my life. I know that sounds just a little melodramatic, but it's the truth. Or, at least, as true as anything a journalist will tell you.' Sally Goodchild is a thirty-seven year old American who, after nearly two decades as a highly independent journalist, finds herself pregnant and in London... married to an English foreign correspondent, Tony Thompson, whom she met while they were both on assignment in Cairo. From the outset Sally's relationship with both Tony and London is an uneasy one - especially as she finds her husband and his city to be far more foreign than imagined. But her adjustment problems soon turn to nightmare - as she discovers that everything can be taken down and used against you... especially by a spouse who now considers you an unfit mother and wants to bar you from ever seeing your child again

Yay - just ordered it on Amazon as a used copy - cost 1p plus £2.75 p&p! Result!!! I won't be able to get reading til next weekend as it will arrive when i'm on holiday.

Thanks Matty!

Hels x

I love Douglas kennedy. That book is on my shelf waiting to be read. I have just read the Rightous Men which led me on to The Straw Men by Michael Marshall a bit gruesome but good. I'm now reading Panic by Jeff Abbott. Don't usually read these type of books but sometimes good to try something different.

Oh yes meant to ask. Can I join in too? Sorry got carried away there.

The book is called "A Special Relationship" and is written by an American writer called Douglas Kennedy. He is now living in London.

Matty

Ah no - I read that a couple of months ago - but to be honest, I really can't remember a great deal about it (I do tend to devour books at a stupidly fast rate then forget most of them!)

I'll have to see if I can dig it out or get it from the library again!

I love Douglas kennedy. That book is on my shelf waiting to be read. I have just read the Rightous Men which led me on to The Straw Men by Michael Marshall a bit gruesome but good. I'm now reading Panic by Jeff Abbott. Don't usually read these type of books but sometimes good to try something different.

Oh yes meant to ask. Can I join in too? Sorry got carried away there.

Hi redscarlet,

Everyone is welcome to join in:)

I have just ordered my book from Amazon! I hope it does not take too long to arrrive.

Matty, this is a great idea. I am at my happiest(almost delirious) when I am in a library or book shop! I've been the same since childhood.

I will search out Douglas Kennedy's book tommorow and get it asap.

At the moment, I am reading "The Lady of Abu Simbel" by Christian Jacq and Dr Phil's "Love Smart:find the one you want-fix the one you've got". Both great reads:D

P.S. No sarcy comments D_Q and Isy about the egyptian theme in my first book.....LOL:)

Hi Dee,

Of course you can join in, now get reading and Isobel, I think you will really like the book.

And Red Scarlet, would love to have seen Douglas on Richard and Judy but sadly I don't get to see it.
So those of you who have the book, please start reading, and for those of you waiting for it, start as soon as you get it.
I am going to be very busy this weekend, I am involved in organising a marathon walk with my walking club tomorrow and it will be such a long tiring day.

But I will check in with you all on Monday, things I consider when reading are:

the writing, it is natural or forced, too fancy or too sparse.

Do the characters get my attention, so I care about what happens to them, if I don't, then I don't really enjoy the book.

Do I find the plot believable or far fetched, does it grab my imagination.

Everybody has their own opinion about a book, and is entitled to it.

Happy reading.

Love Matty

Back