Book recommendation needed

I will succeed!!!
I read a lot and usually have a pile of books to get through at any one time. But I'm down to my last 2 so need to be getting more ready and waiting.

I've been reading a lot of vampire/supernatural books lately so wanting something different.

Any recommendations?

Thanks x

I'm re-reading my Faye Kellerman series at the moment, real grime and grim crime novels, I love them!

Had a bit of Marian Keyes in the middle just for ease of sleeping......

Or how about some Larry McMurtry (Terms of Endearment and loads of other good ones), or John Irving? Always a good read! For something a bit different, try A. J. Jacobs, he's fab!

Also, have you got a library near you? I know they're not necessarily well-stocked, but I often just pop in and look at the "just returned" section and grab something from there that's obviously popular!

Hope you find something good,

Thanks hun!

I'll give the library another go - keep meaning to - but it's a small town one and not open hours that suit my schedule much which is why, coupled with the stock, I stopped bothering. But I'll see what they have in. I get a few books from charity shops too as they always have a load in - I'll keep eyes open for the ones you've suggested.

Thanks x

Which supernatural ones have you read? I've been reading Lauren Dane and Shayla Black lately, after re-reading all of my Nalini Singh books (shapeshifters and psy - very sexy).

Kelly Armstrong is great - werewolves, necromancers, etc

Laurell K Hamilton maybe...

My favourite author is Patricia Cornwell, she has a series of books based on the character Dr Faye Scarpetta, who is a forensics expert.

It isn't science-heavy it is very easy to read, and I have loved each book individually, and enjoyed the overall story and reading about the characters growing up, their lives changing, and so on.

Very much recommended :)

One of my fave subjects but I'm much a girly girl book fan, can recommend Freya North, Maggie Alderson, Elizabeth Noble, Carole Matthews esp Chocolate Lovers Diet, love Dan Brown books as well, just to name but a few, enjoy book hunting xxx

I read a lot and usually have a pile of books to get through at any one time. But I'm down to my last 2 so need to be getting more ready and waiting.

I've been reading a lot of vampire/supernatural books lately so wanting something different.

Any recommendations?

Thanks x
I just finished reading Lovely Bones
An excellent book thoough very sad at times. The are making it into a movie, comes out in December. Go to you tube and you can see the trailer for it. It would give you an idea what the book is about.

I have just finished the new Ian Rankin novel, "The Complaints". Having retired Rebus, he now has a new character who works for the department within the police in Edinburgh who investigate other policemen. I really enjoyed it - it is complicated and you need to concentrate, but it is beautifully written.

If you haven't read Alexander McCall Smith's "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" books, then you should, but do start from the beginning.

I am currently reading "Down River" by John Hart, which is excellent. I previously read "The Last Child" by the same author - it was listed for the Dagger award - but I think "Down River" is better.

Dan Waddell and Andrew Greig are authors I have enjoyed recently.

Jane Green is an author my sister introduced me to - she lent me "The Beach House" and I literally couldn't put it down. I was wandering around the house reading it at all opportunities!

I don't buy books any more, since I retired I get all my books from the public library. In Reading we are very lucky in having an excellent library service. You might like to check to see if your library has an on-line catalogue you can browse through. I can check to see if the library has what I am looking for, which branch has it, whether it is on the shelf or on loan, and reserve it if I want to. All sitting at home!! And I can renew books from home too.

I've been reading the Twighlight books and am now reading Eragon about a dragon. Don't usually read this kind of thing, more sydney sheldon me, but I've enjoyed them. Oh yes, and I am reading Duncton wood during the day too. Love moles. xx

One of the best books I've read in the last few years is The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, she has a few other titles as well, but think this is best, read Lovely Bones as well, thought it started off well but this was it, everyone to their own of course

I'm really enjoying the C J Sansom murder mystery books set in the time of Henry VIII. Real page turners!

Dissolution
Dark Fire
Sovereign
Revelation

Which supernatural ones have you read? I've been reading Lauren Dane and Shayla Black lately, after re-reading all of my Nalini Singh books (shapeshifters and psy - very sexy).

Kelly Armstrong is great - werewolves, necromancers, etc

Laurell K Hamilton maybe...
If you like those others you might like to read Sherilyn Kenyon or Kresley Cole. Laurell K . Hamilton is great.:)

It made me cry too. It comes out here in December, I can't wiat. Did you see the trailer on you tube?

Not yet - will have a look this afternoon when the house is kidfree and I can get onto a computer :lol:

Whi is the guy under your name?

Tis James Marsters - he played Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and is sex on legs ;)

Wow thanks for all the replies people! Will keep me busy for ages!

The books I've read lately which I've enjoyed have been:

The House of Night books - in same section as the Harry Potter books so techincally young adult (though it says not for younger readers on back). They're about vampyres (spelt like that) but they live a Pagan-esque lifestyle, so found it interesting to read how she'd transferred things over (think she might be Pagan herself as many of her books are like this).

Also read The Devil Wears Prada and a real LOL book.

Henry VIII's autobiography (fiction but written as such) is amazing. Read that loads and it's ace.

Before that I re-read the Harry Potter's and the Twilight Series which I love.

Jerrery Deaver books are always a good read too xxx

Back