Bouillon? What Bouillon??

Bellerine

Silver Member
Bought some "Just Bouillon" in Tescos and then read label. Its definitely not allowed. So what is allowed exactly. Is boveril or an oxo cube chicken cube veggie cube? Or have I misunderstood this whole bouillon thing totally?

Thanks so much for the help.

Belle

It's Marigold Vegetable stock we're allowed.

There's 2 varieties, normal and reduced salt. I personally prefer to reduced salt one, some people would recommend it, others prefer the normal one. It comes in a purple tub with an orange lid and the normal one comes in a green tub....You'll find it in the free from section at Tesco :)

I drink Bovril. It has similar nutitional values as bouillon, and hasnt kicked me out of ketosis.:D I also drink the normal swiss veg, as my local supermarkets dont have the reduced salt. I just have 1/2 a teaspoon instead.

Thank you both - i'll be getting some today.

Belle

Bovril isnt recommended. The salt levels in Bovril are way higher than even the regular bullion never mind the reduced salt. It wont affect ketosis but it could really have you retaining water. Bovril has never been recommended with a VLCD. Stick with the bullion :)

Last edited:
Thank you Starlight.

Belle

Wow, really? Cos when I looked at the nutritional values for both, the normal Swiss Vegetable Bouillon came out with 0.9g of sodium per serving, and Bovril came out with 0.5g of sodium per serving…

Riapnut

I shall investigate bovril on your suggestion cos its yummy (well its not a shake...)

Belle

Ah yes. I FINALLY found the marigold bouillon in the gluten free shelves at the local tesco extra. Why on earth isnt it with the oxo etc. Fell like i found the holy grail. Am about to try it...

Belle

Mmmmmmmmmm. Yes. Slurp. Slurp. Yum. Like another meal. A must have.

Belle

Yes. Its lovely :) i very much agree with you there :)

OMG I am so pleased I found this post...I went looking for Bouillion in tesco today with the oxo cubes etc....couldn't find it!!! Just presumed it was that my branch is not a huge one....I will go back when I can and have a look in the "free from" section.
Thanks guys K xx

Back