Brainstorming Needed Please

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by Happy Holidays, 15 October 2011 Social URL.

1. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    As some of you will know my MiL is in a wheelchair, she can walk but very small distances.

Anyway she is coming on holiday with us in March & this is were I need your help. She will get up during the night to go for a wee, but she needs help. We will be in the next room, but there is no way if she shouts I'll hear her. Once I'm asleep that's it. So I need something she can use to wake OH up with. I thought about a baby monitor but MiL does talk in her sleep & it will keep OH awake all night.

So can any of you lovely people come up with something she can use which will wake us up. She has parkinsons, so shakes & can't grab very well.

:D:D:D:D

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. dudette2001uk

dudette2001uk I will be a Princess!

Start Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I know you said she can't grasp very well, but would she be able to hold a small hand bell? That might work as she would only need to ring it when she wanted to get up.

4. Minimunchkins

Minimunchkins Gold Member

Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    When I took to my bed after chemo, I used one of those cordless door bells to get hubby's attention :D The one I've got has a few different sound options - none of them really 'trill' so wouldn't scare the living daylights out of you. I think I only got it in Argos and it wasn't expensive :)

5. Shirleen

Shirleen Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    21st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.5lb(2.77%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    The doorbell sounds a great idea.

Check with her OT as you may be able to borrow some mobility aids if needed.

6. Happy Holidays

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Wow, thank you, that's a brilliant idea.

Why is it the simple things you just don't think about; thank you will check OT & local mobility shop.

7. Happy Holidays

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I did think about a bell, but wondered if it would be loud enough:cool:

8. Shirleen

Shirleen Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    21st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.5lb(2.77%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    With the doorbell I think it would be better than a handbell, as you could attach it to something to make it more stable, I'm thinking if it is an hotel you're going too you could attach the bell to a tray or piece of hardboard so that she needn't grip it (and possibly drop it).
    Also it may be best to get some disposable bed pads just in case? When I go to hotels with my SU I take mattress protectors, and kylies (washable bed pads, though will be taking disposables in future), though she may not be incontinent its just a safeguard.
    Gompels.co.uk are good for things like this.
    Depending on how mobile she is make sure you know how she gets up etc as you don't want to damage your back!

9. juejon

juejon Full Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    have you thought about baby monitors or you could contact your local red cross and ask if they have something you could borrow we borrowed a wheelchair for my mum for a holiday when she was first poorly

10. Happy Holidays

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I never thought about bed pads, I'll take a look at the website later, there may be other things which we could do with. MiL has been in a wheelchair for years, but when FiL died you realise how much they 'put up' with & didn't do anything to make their life easier:cool:

Baby monitor was my first thought, but MiL talks in her sleep & it would keep OH awake all night. Never thought of the Red Cross, I'll look them up & give them a call.

Thank you both for your help;)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.