• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Brainstorming Needed Please

S: 9st11lb C: 8st9lb G: 8st9lb BMI: 22.1 Loss: 1st2lb(11.68%)
As some of you will know my MiL is in a wheelchair, she can walk but very small distances.

Anyway she is coming on holiday with us in March & this is were I need your help. She will get up during the night to go for a wee, but she needs help. We will be in the next room, but there is no way if she shouts I'll hear her. Once I'm asleep that's it. So I need something she can use to wake OH up with. I thought about a baby monitor but MiL does talk in her sleep & it will keep OH awake all night.

So can any of you lovely people come up with something she can use which will wake us up. She has parkinsons, so shakes & can't grab very well.

:D:D:D:D

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

dudette2001uk

I will be a Princess!
S: 18st2.5lb C: 18st2.5lb G: 11st0lb BMI: 41.1 Loss: 0st0lb(0%)
I know you said she can't grasp very well, but would she be able to hold a small hand bell? That might work as she would only need to ring it when she wanted to get up.

When I took to my bed after chemo, I used one of those cordless door bells to get hubby's attention :D The one I've got has a few different sound options - none of them really 'trill' so wouldn't scare the living daylights out of you. I think I only got it in Argos and it wasn't expensive :)

S: 21st12.5lb C: 21st4lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 45.3 Loss: 0st8.5lb(2.77%)
The doorbell sounds a great idea.

Check with her OT as you may be able to borrow some mobility aids if needed.

When I took to my bed after chemo, I used one of those cordless door bells to get hubby's attention :D The one I've got has a few different sound options - none of them really 'trill' so wouldn't scare the living daylights out of you. I think I only got it in Argos and it wasn't expensive :)
Wow, thank you, that's a brilliant idea.

The doorbell sounds a great idea.

Check with her OT as you may be able to borrow some mobility aids if needed.
Why is it the simple things you just don't think about; thank you will check OT & local mobility shop.

I know you said she can't grasp very well, but would she be able to hold a small hand bell? That might work as she would only need to ring it when she wanted to get up.
I did think about a bell, but wondered if it would be loud enough:cool:

S: 21st12.5lb C: 21st4lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 45.3 Loss: 0st8.5lb(2.77%)
Happy Holidays said:
Wow, thank you, that's a brilliant idea.

Why is it the simple things you just don't think about; thank you will check OT & local mobility shop.
With the doorbell I think it would be better than a handbell, as you could attach it to something to make it more stable, I'm thinking if it is an hotel you're going too you could attach the bell to a tray or piece of hardboard so that she needn't grip it (and possibly drop it).
Also it may be best to get some disposable bed pads just in case? When I go to hotels with my SU I take mattress protectors, and kylies (washable bed pads, though will be taking disposables in future), though she may not be incontinent its just a safeguard.
Gompels.co.uk are good for things like this.
Depending on how mobile she is make sure you know how she gets up etc as you don't want to damage your back!

have you thought about baby monitors or you could contact your local red cross and ask if they have something you could borrow we borrowed a wheelchair for my mum for a holiday when she was first poorly

With the doorbell I think it would be better than a handbell, as you could attach it to something to make it more stable, I'm thinking if it is an hotel you're going too you could attach the bell to a tray or piece of hardboard so that she needn't grip it (and possibly drop it).
Also it may be best to get some disposable bed pads just in case? When I go to hotels with my SU I take mattress protectors, and kylies (washable bed pads, though will be taking disposables in future), though she may not be incontinent its just a safeguard.
Gompels.co.uk are good for things like this.
Depending on how mobile she is make sure you know how she gets up etc as you don't want to damage your back!
I never thought about bed pads, I'll take a look at the website later, there may be other things which we could do with. MiL has been in a wheelchair for years, but when FiL died you realise how much they 'put up' with & didn't do anything to make their life easier:cool:

have you thought about baby monitors or you could contact your local red cross and ask if they have something you could borrow we borrowed a wheelchair for my mum for a holiday when she was first poorly
Baby monitor was my first thought, but MiL talks in her sleep & it would keep OH awake all night. Never thought of the Red Cross, I'll look them up & give them a call.

Thank you both for your help;)