Consolidation Bread?

Mirjam

Never Ever Give Up!
I'm not there yet, but am planning ahead. I was wondering if anyone knows that if you make your own low carb bread, you can have more than 2 slices per day?

Hi Miriam,

great that you're planning for conso, I'm sure you will be there soon!

In answer to your Q: firstly, please define 'low carb bread' and more importantly: secondly - the idea is to *reintroduce* the starchy carbs, and preferably in a normally available shape and form (ie wholemeal bread etc). So I would question the wisdom of your quest :)

The principle of one slice / one small portion a day is still with me, and gets me through life. As you can see I *have* stayed near my target for over a year, but with wobbles of course, usually UP :-( But the mental measure of one portion of carbs has kept me on the nearly straight and narrow - and after the start I weighed a few things and turned that 'slice' into a small wm roll, a wm pitta, a wm wrap, etc which made life more interesting. Or I switch to different carbs: like today we had (home made) winter soup for lunch with pulses and pearl barley. One bowl = I carb 'ration', so I did not have an extra slice of bread with it, unlike everyone else at the table.

Good luck though - whatever your plans!

Hi there Miriam - the reason many make their own bread on Conso isn't to have (as you're saying) "low carb bread" (I'd be interested in hearing what you were thinking of making though...) but to have (is the term) "purer" bread than that available in UK supermarkets. Over here, the pain complet isn't sweet (or full of preservatives to keep it fresh for over a week!) and that's what he recommends. Two slices = 40g and is a really small portion. Two slices of the supermarket stuff = 80 or 90g so is ill adapted to what he intended in the French book at least!

Thanks for your input ladies, I was thinking of making the bread using Atkins low card bread mix (see ingredients list underneath). Not sure if all is allowed but if not, might it be possible to Dukan the recipe?

Nutritional Information

Average values per serving Energy291kj/69kcal Protein5.0g Carbohydrate5.8g Of which sugars0.3g Fat2.9g Of which saturates0.5g Fibre1.5g Sodium0.125g
Average values per 100g Energy1164kj/277kcal Protein20g Carbohydrate23g Of which sugars1.0g Fat12g Of which saturates2.0g Fibre6.1g Sodium0.5g

Directions:This 400g of bread mix is ready to use. Add the bread mix with 250 ml of water into your bread baking machine and run the whole grain bread program.

In the oven: Mix 250 ml of water thoroughly with this bread mix (400 g). Leave it standing for 15 min. at room temperature. Bake in a preheated oven, 30 min. at 220ºC/425F/Gas mark 7.

Other Ingredients:
Wheat flour, 7.5% linseeds, roasted soy pieces, wheat gluten, 7.5% sesame seeds, 7.5% sunflower seeds, soy flour, roasted soy bran, wheat fibres, iodised salt (salt,iodine),emulsifiers (soy lecithin, esters of mono- and diglycerides, calciumstearoyl lactate, mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids), yeast, roasted rye malt flour, fermented rye flour, roasted barley malt flour, dextrose, palm fat,stabilizers (ascorbic acid, l-cysteine, wheat enzymes).

Suitable for adults whilst following Atkins (phases 2,3 & 4), other low carb or glycemic diets, diabetics or as a nutritious snack.

Having got out of the habit of sandwiches for lunch, I struggled with the re- introduction of bread. Like anja's idea of trading carbs, made some of the 'miracle soup' yesterday, and couldnt resist adding a tablespoon of little pasta stars - just like a chunky minestrone. Was delicious! But I skipped the bread OH was tucking into - he loves my diet, more for him! Lucky he doesn't put on.

Not sure how you would make a low carb bread, but do share recipe.

This one's for a bread maker, not sure how to do it myself as I haven't bought the flourmix yet. Am waiting for feedback from the experts here on the forum :)

I haven't the foggiest! It's obviously better than sweetened full of additives supermarket bread... but is it carby enough to be considered "reintroducing", who knows. Perhaps, use it initially, with a view to moving to a "proper" wholemeal bread after a few weeks of reintroduction?

Anja knows best re bread etc. Over here, it's too easy to simply buy the delicious bakery "pain complet". Funnily enough, I read on a French Dukan forum that even the pain poilane isn't advised on a daily basis

I will see what Anja has to say. Thing is, I just don't want to be back eating loads of carbs even though I might need them when my physio gives me the all clear (hopefully this afternoon) and I can get back to the gym as I've missed it so much (even though I wasn't able to go if I could due to the migraines)! I am looking forward to going back to Zumba classes and do my bodybalance. Even though I'm not fit enough to do the weights, I can still do my dancing and stretching :)
I also prefer home made bread to supermarket bought although I enjoy the fresh baked bread from Sainsbury's too.

Oh, you two flatter me!!

I'm not sure I have anything to add regarding the bread. I have no idea how the atkins flour compares to conventional wholemeal, or shop-bought wholemeal. From the ingredients it has quite high fraction of linseed, soy, sesame seed, sunflower seed. Might make the bread lower carb but higher fat (beneficial fat but nevertheless) content? So I'd say the quantities '40-60gr' still applies... PLUS it has 'emulsifiers' and 'stabilisers' (yes I do appreciate that shop-bought bread has those too.

My 'normal' WM bread in the machine 'only' contains Stoneground WM flour, yeast, salt, sugar (1ts per large loaf), 1TB rapeseed/olive oil and water.

For comparison, when I do add seeds, I'd add about 50gr of seeds to 500gr of flour so that would make approx 10% total seeds and that fraction is already quite noticeable in the mix, and I abstained in the first half of conso.

Re: the pain Poliane - maybe it's a no-no because it is a denser loaf (=heavier slices), or does the method create additional sugars, does it use a richer (more fat) dough? I can't really see WHY it would be not allowed, but I only skimmed the recipe. However your French pain complet is really quite fluffy compared to our wholemeal, hence the 2 slices in 60gr when UK / home made bread only really manages one.

So what you say Anja, is that it's best just to buy wholemeal flour at the supermarket?

No, I'm saying I don't know and can't advise. Use your own judgement - I did when I started 'branching out' from plain wholemeal bread.
All I said was that the Artkins flour might have less carbs but probably has more fat - something that might affect your reintroduction of fat - which is mainly happening with the cheese ration....

Ok, thanks Anja, really appreciate your feed back!

Back