Break week

Chuffy_29

Bring it on!
I realise i've just started but is there any guidance on the break week? (810 week?) Just thinking if there's anything i can prep now i'll get it underway!

Are you having a break after 4 weeks Chuffy? I don't think there is any specific advice for Slim and Save after 4 weeks as they suggest that you take a break after 12 weeks but I think if you follow the Cambridge 810 plan you should be ok. There is some information on that in the Slim and Save FAQs sticky.

I'm probably going to try Atkins on my break week as I know if I do the induction that's low carb and you can get loads of recipes and stuff for it. Probably going to have a week off after week 6 but we'll see how it goes!

i'm only breaking at week 12, just wondered if there was any guidance. i am planning on going the Atkins/Dukan route to stay in ketosis but wasn't sure if the break was meant to be from the ketosis. Don't fancy getting in to ketosis again as it gives me headaches and i might lose my "oomph"! :)

I don't think the break has to be out of ketosis, it's more to do with upping calories to a more normal level I think. However, I'm not the one to ask about that because on my 2 breaks (holiday and Xmas!) I have been completely out of ketosis, alcohol, the works! If I was just taking a break because I reached week 12 I would probably up the calories to something around 1000 and low carb. A friend at work is doing LL and her counsellor told her that week 12 on LL had to be a 'milk' week so she had to add milk to all of the packs. Cambridge do add a meal I think which is probably the sort of thing we need to do. Maka does something similar every 4th week as per the All About W8 diet she was on previously.

I don't think the break has to be out of ketosis, it's more to do with upping calories to a more normal level I think. However, I'm not the one to ask about that because on my 2 breaks (holiday and Xmas!) I have been completely out of ketosis, alcohol, the works! If I was just taking a break because I reached week 12 I would probably up the calories to something around 1000 and low carb. A friend at work is doing LL and her counsellor told her that week 12 on LL had to be a 'milk' week so she had to add milk to all of the packs. Cambridge do add a meal I think which is probably the sort of thing we need to do. Maka does something similar every 4th week as per the All About W8 diet she was on previously.

Hi BG, although I'm still 5 weeks away from my 12 week 'break', I'm already concerned not to blow things then! I really don't want to get into 1000 cals per day meals; I'd like to stay as food-free as poss! Do you mean on LL that you can simply add milk to the sachets when mixing, or are there meals added after that too? Thanks for any other info on the break week - I'm pretty clueless right now.

I don't know much about LL or milk week I'm afraid because it's just something that my friend at work mentioned that she was advised to do after 12 weeks. I did find a thread here though on the LL board that explains the quantity and they fact that it is advised that you add the milk to the packs rather than drinking it on its own. So you could make shakes and porridge up with milk - bet they'd be nice and creamy :). I expect it's for the reason you mention, ie so that people don't have to introduce food when they're not ready to do so.

BordersGirl said:
I don't know much about LL or milk week I'm afraid because it's just something that my friend at work mentioned that she was advised to do after 12 weeks. I did find a thread here though on the LL board that explains the quantity and they fact that it is advised that you add the milk to the packs rather than drinking it on its own. So you could make shakes and porridge up with milk - bet they'd be nice and creamy :). I expect it's for the reason you mention, ie so that people don't have to introduce food when they're not ready to do so.

Not sure I would want to do the shakes etc with milk, I would get a taste for them being nice and creamy and then a week later have to go back to them being made with water again??!!??

Not sure I would want to do the shakes etc with milk, I would get a taste for them being nice and creamy and then a week later have to go back to them being made with water again??!!??

Yeah, but I think some people might find food harder to give up than creamier shakes? Depends on your mindset I guess.

I'll check out the LL site BG. Your info is really useful though and I would be happy to add milk to the shakes. As you note in your reply to GSG, I would rather add milk than meals at this point, with so much still to loose! (But I take your point GSG... I'm surprised at how creamy the shakes are already, made up with just water.... I may swoon when I've added milk)! :)

Spent some time trying to find out about LL and adding milk in Wk 12; couldn't find anything here but found the info below on the Boots Web MD site. I found this helpful, so posting it below incase anyone else is uncertain about facing food just yet (I know I will have to face my food issues eventually)! It's related to LL Wk 12 but I reckon I can safely follow a similar plan with perhaps a bit of food introduction from the recommended list.

The NHS recommends a VLCD should be undertaken for no more than 12 continuous weeks. After 12 weeks you increase your calorie intake to more 1,000 calories a day for one week only, before returning to the diet. Adding milk is one way to do this. Alternatively, if you have a BMI of 25-29.9 with one - three stone to lose, you have three meal replacements a day, plus one healthy, conventional meal from a list of everyday ingredients.

Hi Girls,

I'm doing W8 Rapid so do add a meal every 4th week, we are told it is to stop your metabolism slowing down as they say after 3 weeks on very low cals your body realises it doesn't have much food to burn so your metabolism slows down so the higher calorie week is just to keep it high, but we only add in a small piece of protein & some low carb vegetables from a very limited list so we stay in Ketosis :)

Hi Girls,

I'm doing W8 Rapid so do add a meal every 4th week, we are told it is to stop your metabolism slowing down as they say after 3 weeks on very low cals your body realises it doesn't have much food to burn so your metabolism slows down so the higher calorie week is just to keep it high, but we only add in a small piece of protein & some low carb vegetables from a very limited list so we stay in Ketosis :)

That makes sense Tracyx as I'm currently at the beginning of week 8 and boy has the weight loss dropped off. I know I shouldn't weigh every morning but ....

Would just say that exercise keeps up/increases your metabolic rate so if weight loss slows try adding some exercise and it should move.

Thanks Chuffy! I know it sounds obvious but I really haven't been exercising and know that I should, now that I'm 7 weeks in and over the weak feelings. I guess my walking machine's days as a clothes-horse, dust-collector are over - now to dust off the trainers!!

Back