Breakfast Raisin Bars

Yummymummyuk

My daughter can't have lactose and most of the breakfast bars you can buy have milk or lactose in. So I thought I would adapt an old WW recipe I had. Perhaps someone could check my calculations for syn value?

8.5 teaspoons marg (17)
1 or 2 tbs Splenda (depending how sweet you like things I thought 1 was enough but daughter said they could be sweeter)
1 egg beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
180g rolled oats (32 or 6.5 Hex)
1 tsp baking powder (.5)
240ml skimmed milk (6 or Hex)
240g raisins (8.5)
I put in 1 tsp mixed spice for more flavour or you could use cinnamon

Grease a 9 x 7" (22.5 x 17.5cm tin) with half tsp marg (or use non stick liner and reduce syns). Heat oven to 180C/350F Gas 4.
Put remaining ingredients in a bowl and combine well.
Pour into tin and level the surface.
Bake for 30/40 mins until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool in tin for 10 mins. Turn out and cool on wire rack.
Cut into 8 very generous bars or more if you find them too big.
Store in airtight tin for 1 week :8855:eek:r freeze for 6 months :8855::8855:

Now I make the whole recipe 64 syns. So that's 8 syns each but if you count the milk and oats as Hex it's only 26 syns so that's 3.25 syns each and .8 Hex b and .1 Hex a? Is that right? If you made 10 instead of 8 they'd only be 2.6 syns each. I think they are really nice and my daughter love them too, great for eating on the bus to school at 7am.

Hope I've got this right? Going to make some more tomorrow and might take to meeting for Christmas party on Thursday will put a pic on.

Of course you could reduce syns even more by using very low fat marg and skimmed milk. Also you could use chopped dates or dried cranberries instead of raisins (check syn value though)

Last edited:
Back