Breastfeeding and Slimming World

Hiya!

Sneaking on to this portion of SW now, as had baby Alexander Adam on 10th July.

Some issues with breast feeding and him settling in, so not on the SW wagon totally yet, but hoping to start in the next week or so. Tending to live off toast and sandwiches at the moment as it's quick to grab between a screaming child demanding feeds and all the unpacking that needs done due to house move.

Alexander has a tongue tie so breast feeding taken a break at the moment due to an immensly painful and shallow latch, so I'm expressing his feeds at the moment, so he's still expressly breast fed (apart fromo the 200ml of formula he's had today as his 5am feed was too painful to contemplate, even expressing was leaving me sore at this point)

So with all that in mind, I hope to be joining you soon over the next week or two once I'm a bit more organised.

Hi Lexi, CONGRATULATIONS on your beautiful beautiful boy!! You must feel so proud :D
Welcome to the breastfeeding thread yay!! Hopefully you'll settle into breastfeeding soon and get to enjoy all the healthy extras SW has to offer! :D:D:D

Hi lexi, congrats on your little man. My 2nd little man had tonguetie, it left me with cracked nipples in the early days but he rapidly grew and it eased. Infect at 6 months his tonguetie ulcerated and went back, I could have kissed the doctor when he said. He was my longest breastfed baby, he fed for 2years and 1 week and would have continued but I wanted to ttc number 3. There is hope. Enjoy your newborn, keep checking his latch and I hope it gets easier soon. Xxx

Congrats on your little one Lexie. :)

Are they going to snip his tongue tie?, that should make the feeding more comfortable if it is causing you a huge amount of pain, although some problems related to tongue tie do resolve on their own. You might find nipple shields help with the pain for a bit until you get it sorted, but they can also cause more problems with bad latch and I would perhaps try and arrange for a lactation consultant to come visit you should you wish to carry on breastfeeding as they may be able to help with some positions to get a better latch.

there are lots of links on here re: tongue tie kellymom.com :: Links: Breastfeeding a baby with tongue-tie

Hey everyone :) my gorgeous girl Fay is 3months old today. i tried once to start sw again bt failed big time. I'm tartig tomorrow and looking forward to it. I gained 23lbs in pregbancy and lost it in 8days. But i was overweight to start with so i have lots to shift still. I'm fed up of feeling rubbish all the time.

I'm going to have to have a read through his thread to see how it all works. Am I right in thinkig, that if i do green, I get my usual 2 a's and 2 b's and an extra 4 of either on top?? XX

So back on the SW train today.

I feel I should know this, but HE wise, I do EE plan, so get one A and one B, according to the additional HE's each day I should get another 3 on top of that? So a total of 5 per day then until he's 2 months when it goes up to 6 a day?

Brit Mum, I called Infant Feeding Advisor on the Tuesday as Health Visitor didn't know anything about tongue ties, and midwife had said they would leave it until it snapped on its own or caused speech problems. I couldnt face any more feeds in that amount of pain so had supplemented a few feeds with formula to give myself time to recover, and then expressed until my nips were not white, bleeding and burning.

So I self referred on the Tuesday and got taken on the Weds, tongue snipped inside 2 minutes, he spet through most of it then woke up, had a wee feed and settled back to sleep. Tongue tie being gone has improved things so much, the odd bad latch and biting episode but otherwise going well.

So back on the SW train today.

I feel I should know this, but HE wise, I do EE plan, so get one A and one B, according to the additional HE's each day I should get another 3 on top of that? So a total of 5 per day then until he's 2 months when it goes up to 6 a day?

That's correct Lexi! On an EE day you get 5 HEs all together until baby is 2 months after which you get 6. On Green & Red days you get up to 8! So 2 As, 2 Bs and an additional 4! :D

Thanks Honey! Thought thats what it was, and could have told you a few months back but sleep deprivation/baby brain is brutal still.

Thanks Honey! Thought thats what it was, and could have told you a few months back but sleep deprivation/baby brain is brutal still.

Tell me about it... Sometimes I open a new tab on my computer and forget what website I wanted to go to! I've got post it notes EVERYWHERE!

Lexie,

So glad you got the tongue tie sorted, is a bit of a cop out for your midwife to say about leaving it, especially when it was obviously causing so many problems for you both.

I can highly recommend doing skin to skin if you can, having a bath together is good too, as it will help with latching now you have the tongue tied fixed.

If you can spend a whole day in bed with lots of skin to skin (good excuse to have a lazy day lol)

Hi guys! Hope to be in here joining you soon! not long for me now, i hope...............

those of you who are doing ww, are you online/home/classes? how are you finding it and what are you eating? what are your losses like so far? i think im going to give ww a shot after my 6 wk check, maybe slightly before if im feeling well enough.. but somtime around then. xxxx

I am doing weight watchers Fern, plan to do it for 3 months and then return to slimming world.

I wanted something more restricting so I know I am sticking within my daily intake. Have to say it is really easy at the moment too with the extra points you get for breastfeeding. Only annoying aspect is having to weigh and point everything, which is why I couldn't do it long term would drive me nuts. Fruit is now free though which is handy.

Good luck and will be watching out for you birth announcement :)

I doubt it would make a difference to be honest. Just make sure to have at least 2 A choices for calcium, other than that you can mix it up however you like!

Buzzy, my little miss is 10 months old now and I do green days. Technically I'm allowed 2a's 2b's and an extra but I rarely fit in the extra but I do make the effort to each calcium rich free foods. I'm not sure it would matter which you choose to have as your extra seen as you are eating plenty of calcium rich foods anyway.x

hello ladies! Got a couple of questions :D

Nia is now 20 weeks and we are starting to introduce mush into her diet lol, not a lot, just in the evenings as she wont take milk from a bottle and i am going to see Dolly Parton at the end of this month and dont want her to starve to death in the 5 hours i wont be here lol!

She is having about 3oz of milk mixed with baby cereal powder - so what to i adjust my extra HEs to now? I was having 3 extra of each on EE...

Thanks in advance!

x

bumping the thread up :)

Hiya! I wouldn't bother reducing HEs just yet as she's still only taking a tiny amount and breastfeeding still represents 99% of her diet. I plan on having my full HEs until solids are properly established, I.e a full serving (1tbsp) baby rice once a day, everyday for a week then I'll drop one HE and after that I'll drop an extra HE with each increase in solid meals (either extra meals during the day or a bigger portion during a meal). I'll just play it by ear really, until I have the recommended 3 HEs left and I'll stay at that until I wean her completely when she's one. Hope that makes sense! I just think losing half your HEs suddenly is bit harsh lol, especially if baby's only taking a tbsp of solid food a day!

Back