Breastfeeding and Slimming World

Ooh I haven't posted it yet! I'll get writing and attach the link.

I'll probably keep posting in here, where else to ask my dumb new mum questions!?

Got to take Bella to the docs tomorrow on advice of health visitor. Seems as though some of her cord is still there and when she sticks her tummy out, a little bit looks quite red and inflamed. So doc will probably put something on it to dry it out and encourage it to come off - eek! Not sure I'm looking forward to that...

On the plus side Bella put on another 12oz this week and she's now 8lb 3oz at 4 weeks. So pleased!

Thanks sarah looking forward to reading it!

Hope bellas bellybutton ok........just made me think about sex n the city with miranda when her cat ate her babies dried up cord when it fell off lol ......sorry! Will need to keep an eye on my cats!!! X

Tonight I went to a breastfeeding workshop which was awsome!! I feel so confident now n can't wait :)

Start weight: 14s 7lb pre-preg: 13s13lb current: 14s 2lb

Leeanne i hope next time i do this i can take all ive learnt this time and have a far more easy time with it, even looking back now im not sure how i coped, and that was with mw's on tap (or more so, my relentless demand)

Im so torn, Penny hates her bottle. Absoloutly freaking hates it. Weve tried dr.browns, avent, NUK and now tommee tippee. She gets SO upset, just like when we first tried bf. I want a little bit of freedom. Im not ready to give up bf by any stretch of the imagination. I dont want to yet, and shes certainly not ready. Little Booby Addict! - but i had intended to only exclusivly bf her anothe 6-8 weeks before combi feeding.. But that wont be possible if she keeps refusing the bottle. I get upset when she gets so distraught and i dont feel its worth going through what we went through with bf to get her onto a bottle. Id rather just keep going, but its making me nervous should anything happen to me and i cant bf, or just being able to go out for a few hours if need be. I leave her on a monday night for sw for an hour and a half, no more. I feed her before i leave and leave daddy a bottle to feed her with incase. Everytime i come home she's either in such a state, or she's fallen asleep because she's given up (that, just breaks my heart) ... i feel selfish, i feel guilty.. i also feel like i can't imagine her being on bottles anyways, im so used to bf now. I dont know the first thing about bottle feeding, it'd be like learning bf all over again.. but i want the flexibility and Joe wants to feel confident that if im not there, he can provide with no fuss. .... everytime the bottle even goes near her she instantly crys, archs her back and even pushes it away from her mouth. I usually give up *throwing yet more precious booby milk away sigh* .. but last night i held it in her mouth, and after a few seconds, though it felt like forever.. she did suck. Not much, but she did. which is more than she's ever done before as she's always just chewed if anything, like she doesnt know what to do with it. Weve been trying for weeks now, once or twice a week.. i leave the room, Joe tries, my mums tried.. my sister. Iv tried and she has sucked a bit. I even tried formula incase the different smell intreuiged (sp) her. . but that was ever worse :O ..

i feel like we spent 9 months as one, she's my baby and i adore this amazingly strong bond we have. I love that i can comfort her when no one else can and that my body is still providing and giving her exactly and exclusivly what she needs 3 months on.. I dont want to take that comfort from her, but i also feel that bf over 6 months isn't for me, even though deep down i know i would. Its just this flexibility i want to know i have. Not that i ever leave her for a long enough period anyways, and so not ready too anytime soon.. but i need to know i can. Her cry, it makes me so sad.

any advise?

Oh eck fern ur really going through it!! Are the mw's not able to help at all or is it just bf they will assist with? Bet its costing a fortune trying out different bottles! I do understand ur need for a bit of freedom im hoping for the same! Hope things get sorted for u xx

Holy moly Honey, that looks er........ suspicious ;)

.. HV has just said i have to keep perserving.. Problem is im not willing to force it on her, Im happy to perservere but i will not force. Im just terrified if anything happened to me and i couldn't feed her, what would they do?

There are many other ways to feed a breastfed baby milk, it doesn't have to be bottles. Another month or so and you may find she gets very good at taking a free-flow spouted cup. At this age you can cup, syringe or spoon feed if you want to leave her with your partner a little bit longer. Breastfeeding past 6mths is the really easy bit, you do start being able to do more, they start solids, drink other fluids, it gets quicker and easier. Many dads are not confident when they're small, no matter what the method of feeding babies still tend to settle better for mum, this is normal baby behaviour rather than being about the milk.

It's extremely unlikely anything will happen to you that means breastfeeding has to stop, that feeling of someone being 100% reliant on you can be quite daunting.

No one bottle is better than the other, starting with the cheapest 99p shop teats and working up from there can help if it's important to you to try persevere. Being completely out of the house when your partner tries can also help. They're only this needy for such a short time, you're doing a fabulous job, she's a very lucky girl. It's intense right now but that will pass soon.

Hi Fernie, sorry I had to rush earlier. I agree with a lot of what Smallerme said, it may seem like your whole life is all about feeding baby (it is!) but it only lasts a really short time in the grand scheme of things. Don't worry about anything happening to you and if worst comes to worse if there is no other option for baby besides the bottle, she will take it. At the moment she knows that there is a more enjoyable feeding option available which is why she rejects the bottle. I know it seems like babies are in major distress when they cry but it is their only means of communicating with you. We adults cry we're hurt or sad or upset so we naturally assume our babies are feeling these horrible emotions when they cry but all they're doing is trying to tell us something. In your case Penny is clearly saying "Give me your boobies woman!" LOL!! If she really hates the bottle and refuses to feed from it, it may be worth just riding it out hunny. It's just what we need to do as mums, gotta make sure our treasures are happy and comfy. And remember, you're only chained to your baby for 6 months, once you start her on solids you'll have more free time. Now that Rosie eats solids I can get up to 4 hours freedom lol! I still nurse her 6 times in 24 hours but when I go out I can leave her with DH and make up her lunch and snacks etc. Don't worry Fern, it'll be over before you know it and you'll probably wish for these days again. Try to enjoy every moment with your baby, even though it may be difficult. They're so precious and grow so fast :(

Oh i know, i look at her when im feeding and feel such an incredible rush of love, i love feeding her and i know its not forever and i will crave these moments, im almost grieving them already, she is growing so fast. The thing is im not really sure why im trying with the bottle so hard, cos in all honestly im so not ready to go anywhere without her yet! but id love to swim for an hour, or go to sw class for an hour and a half and know she will be able to feed, from somthing! - ive been told about these cups, but its the sort of thing id only feel comfortable doing myself ( i know that sounds like i have no confidence in Joe, but im obsessive and like to do everything myself haha) which defeats the point. Im concerned that if she doesnt take a tear she wont take a sippy cup if i were to just bf untill she were old enough for one??? I think deep down im going to struggle to stop bf her, when i think about it, if she were to be fed via bottle completley in the next 4 months it'd seem very odd.. BUT i have to return to work in march, and whilst it may seem a while away.. given the state the bottle/boob situation is in now, im concerned she wont take fluid if she's not flexible??

its funny, everyones aware of the issues surrounding bf that you can have in the beginning, but no one tells you babies refuse Bottle! Yet its so common!!! - im flattered really, that she only wants me.

Its amazing, 3 months ago i thought Penny would never feed from me, now im thinking she wont stop! how things change. x

Fern don't panic about the cup vs teat - it's probably about mouth feel, It's why babies prefer different teats, Alex chokes on Avent teats, yet gets on swimmingly with Tommee Tippee. You may find your wee one just doesn't like the feel of artificial teats but will take smashing to a cup because she'll be a wee bit older and well impressed she's doing new things - like guiding cup to mouth etc

Alex still goes through a wee stage of "reverse cycling" where he wont tae a bottle and will scream until I'm home for a feed. Likewise he wont take a bottle off me.

You just have to persevere.

Personally I need a break sometimes because it's tiring being milked on demand! But I'll miss it too when Alex loses that wee drunk look he gets and he starts rolling his eyes back. Sounds horrid but it's really very sweet.

Cor blimy, it ain't half hard work getting baby ready just to go to town, lol! But at least I get my exercise in which I have started to do last week and feel so much better getting out and about - even if there are some very rude people about not opening a door for someone with a pushchair but slamming it closed instead, hey ho takes all sorts!

I know what you mean - I love going out. It gives me a bit of me time as Bella sleeps in the pram. Just make sure I'm prepared as we've been caught out before. Planning a very scary day out to Cardiff Thursday... And we'll meet hubby when he finishes work. So I've got to be prepared for a whole day, a train ride, and not being just 10mins away from home - eek!

Took Bella to the docs this morning on recommendation of the HV, basically she's got a bit of her belly button which is quite red and sticks out. Turns out it's an umbilical hernia, so basically a bit of the cord which didn't fall off. Doc said they don't do anything but wait for it to dry out and fall off which can take over a year! Luckily it's not bothering her at all so I'm pleased really that nature can take it's course

Great news about your daughter :)

aw - you be fine, just remember to pack everything, lol. I love going out now as the fresh air is so beautiful and I love a change of scerio (I have a very easily distracted mind). OMG went town today and had sushi, boy have I missed it.

Fern, I remember having the battle you're having with my first. At 12 weeks I fought to get him to have a bottle and by 5 months he would but by 9 months he decided bottles were better than boobie and he weaned, I wasn't ready for it. It wasn't worth the stress when I look back on it. The last 3 I just gave in and accepted they were boobie monsters and it's for such a short time. All 3 have had just boobie and taken easily to a sippy cup at 6 months for water. Little miss is now 13 months and has never seen a bottle. She has breast milk and a cup of water at meal times.
She will soon take fluids if you are in work and she'll adapt in days, a baby won't allow herself to starve.

I know what you mean - I love going out. It gives me a bit of me time as Bella sleeps in the pram. Just make sure I'm prepared as we've been caught out before. Planning a very scary day out to Cardiff Thursday... And we'll meet hubby when he finishes work. So I've got to be prepared for a whole day, a train ride, and not being just 10mins away from home - eek!

If it helps this it what I always pack in my bag, we always end up being out longer than we plan on and have been on lots of trips with the kids think Logan was less than a month old the first time he went on a train lol.
6-8 nappies,
1 pack of baby wipes,
1 pack of nappy sacks,
nappy cream
milk for the day (depends on size of baby as to what they drink Leia does 90-120ml a feed but since she has a prescription milk it's not just something I can buy if I run out)
1 or 2 bibs or muslin cloths
extra dummy (if you use one)
1 complete change of clothes usually vest, babygro, outfit, hat and maybe cardigan or jacket (mine are little so usually have quite a few layers on right now Leia is wearing a vest and 2 babygros but she often has a cardigan or outfit over the top too), + 1 extra vest and babygro (I did 2 extras with the boys because they were great at peeing on the vest or babygro while being changed).
1 blanket
1 pre sterilised bottle
1 carton milk and a small pair of scissors
1 spare mummy top
tissues

I also usually have a snack of some sort, a bottle of water, at least one box of painkillers, my phone and my debit card.

The best tips for travelling with a baby are don't stress over it, always pack a little more than you think you will need especially with milk and nappies but if you forget anything it's usually pretty easy to find a supermarket or somewhere else to buy it, try to avoid rush hour on the train if you can avoid it. and try to have fun. Hugs Crystal xx

thanks for all the help guys!

Sarah, ive heard of that before. So glad its not upsetting her. Bless her.. we also did cardiff! we only managed a few hours as Penny was fussing when trying to feed! Also didnt help that it was the MJ triubute concert,cardiff was full of complete fecking weirdos!

heres us in the market :p she was 7 weeks xx
penny7weeks 009.jpg

Back