Britains Fattest Man tonight

Reading this thread I'm glad I missed it! - seems to me there was little to advise or even educate as it all seems either self-inflicted, or caused my misguided assistance by those around him.

Then someone mentioned the magic words, benefits and cuts. Suddenly it was as far removed from my own situation as could be. Programmes like that make me angry as it goes.

I'll probably now go and find a re-run!

to answer the comments about the carers not helping him by cooking him that kind of food, they were employed by him..
if you were employed as a cook and your boss asked you to bring him / her in a cuppa and some biscuits every day and you took them in a glass of water and an apple, would you think that would be a good way to keep your job?

to answer the comments about the carers not helping him by cooking him that kind of food, they were employed by him..
if you were employed as a cook and your boss asked you to bring him / her in a cuppa and some biscuits every day and you took them in a glass of water and an apple, would you think that would be a good way to keep your job?
No, but I'd seriously change jobs;)

My understanding was that the carers were provided by the local authority, hence them slashing his care time by 50% after he had his initial surgery? Maybe it was part funded and I missed that bit lol

Actually we don't know if Paul Mason got direct care payments so he could employ the carers himself, or whether they were employed directly by social services. I worked in Ipswich with people with health problems, and I know that social services in ipswich still provided carers in a large number of instances. As far as I understand from the people I worked with the individual can opt to receive direct payments for care, but it isn't automatic.

If the carers were employed by an agency I would be interested to see what the company policy is on enabling such situations - would it be permitted for a carer to take someone to get some heroin, or giving a self harmer razor blades?

To be fair though, the meals served weren't as bad as they could've been. Sure white toast & jam isn't great on SW, but it's also not terrible either, and his carer did seem to cook him fairly normal meals. I suspect a lot more was eaten after they left.

no they paid him an allowance, which he used to pay the carers.. when they slashed his allowance in half he knew he'd hav to cut their hours down ( and be even more alone ) hence why he freaked out and burst into tears..

That could still be the case if the carers were provided by social services, the same rules on funding would apply whether he received direct payments or whether they were provided by the local authority.

I've been a little reluctant to post on this thread because it's the sort of thread that can get heated, it definitely brings out strong feelings in most people but I thought I'd join in anyway.;)

I watched it last night on 4od after I saw you all discussing it and my main feeling coming away from it was why aren't there more people like that surgeon around. I thought that he was fantastic and spoke honestly and frankly about the problem of weight loss. Once bed bound there is little that a person can do to lose weight, even going on a normal calorie controlled diet won't shift much weight because nothing is being used up and I think that must be how someone goes from being very fat to the size of that chap. Only a diet like the jelly one will make a huge difference quickly.

Before I started SW I'd got to the point that if I didn't do something then I'd be bed bound, walking was getting impossible. I was also eating very little compared to most people that I know, what I did eat however was bad for me but (and I know how stupid it sounds) the only thing that gave me much pleasure. Had I continued then yes I would probably have been like him within a few years. It's a slippery slope and it's surprisingly easy to start sliding in my opinion. If you think nothing of yourself, if you can't deal with life and problems and that sort of thing then it's easy to let go and not care what happens. Believe me, I know!

One of his points was about how he wished he'd been given help earlier, say at 20 stone. This is a really good point. The help is not there and whether or not we think it should be available to people on the NHS or not, if someone goes for help because they don't feel they can do it alone then I think it should be. It's very easy to say you just need to sort yourself out but not easy to do as we all know.

I was referred to an eating disorder clinic about 4 years ago, we talked, they agreed that I needed help because I was going to end up killing myself if I carried on as I was. A month later I had a letter saying that there was atleast a 3 year waiting list! My GP spoke to them and said I should be treated as an emergency case because he was concerned about my heart but it got me no further up the list. Last year I had a letter asking if I wanted to stay on the waiting list but that it could still be years. It's hardly ideal! If this guy went through a similar thing then I can understand his frustration, yes he chose to keep on eating crap but when you care so little about yourself and then find that no one else does either it is pretty hard to take.

I got quite angry at his reaction to losing alot of his home help but then I realised that probably to him it would be like someone taking away family. He had no one else and he and his carer seemed quite close. I think it was fear that made him react that way though I could be wrong!

Anyway, sorry didn't mean to waffle on for so long. I think it was a good programme all in all. I think it said a lot about the media and the hatred that many people feel towards fat people. Yes it probably has a lot to do with him being on benefits but then there would have been massive hype even if he wasn't on them, certain papers would have picked up on the cost to the NHS just for the surgery alone and still caused a media frenzy because finding a 'freak' (it's the only way I can think to put it and reminds me of circus' 100 years ago, not because I think he's a freak!) sells papers and people like to take the pee!

I think his child-like reaction to finding out his spending was being cut, could've been an indication to how he got his mum to remortgage her house. Whilst news like that is devestating, I did feel it wasn't how you would expect a grown up to react. Then again, if he's been socially isolated for so long, it could be that he's forgotten social rules, or how to behave around other people.

Once bed bound there is little that a person can do to lose weight, even going on a normal calorie controlled diet won't shift much weight because nothing is being used up and I think that must be how someone goes from being very fat to the size of that chap. Only a diet like the jelly one will make a huge difference quickly.

I suppose that begs the question as to why his GP didnt impose a calorie controlled diet for him. It just seemed that he was left to his own devices ..... :(

I think that yes, something needs to be done about the obesity epidemic, the stats that the fabby surgeon quoted were quite shocking! And Pauls case showed that for some people surgery is probably the cheapest method for help rather than a continuing care package.

I wish you every success on your continuing journey Laura :)

*currently watching it*
It's made me angry to be honest. I don't even want to go into it but it has made me angry. And more determined to get this weight off me without surgery.

You're already on your way and doing something about it.

I'm sure everyone here knows how easy it is to slip down the slope that Paul Mason found himself falling down, the positive thing is that we're all here doing something about it before it gets that far.

*currently watching it*
It's made me angry to be honest. I don't even want to go into it but it has made me angry. And more determined to get this weight off me without surgery.

You will do it Elb because you want to do it for you. No better reason. You, like the majority of us using this forum, know you have reached the point where a halt has to called on our previous bad eating habits before it is to late.

hugs.

Have just found these 2 comments whilst looking to see if there will be a carry on episode.

1. on 05 January 2011 at 22:54
  2. Unless you have walked in someone else's shoes, you cannot judge. Does the alcoholic receive any more compassion.Addiction is addiction, full stop. I was raped, aged 8. I sedated myself with food, vomited and ate again till the vomiting stopped and the weight piled on. It is often in adult life that we take the stance of enough is enough. Sometimes the body is too far gone to function on the calories in and calories out if someone isn't mobile. It's easy to judge others. Shaw is an amazing surgeon. chemicals in our food stop our bodies breaking down fats and they lay on the body as stored fat rather than being burned up. I paid privately for a gastric band.Erm, do u judge me as harshly as this man or is there a divide because of money. I can understand peoples disgust but they are not the one carrying the burden that begun with something else. I could have become dependant on alcohol or drugs or been anorexic. People don't understand unless it's their own experience. I pray this man survives. He has a painful struggle ahead and more loose skin surgery. Don't despise him his one chance to reclaim his life back. god bless and peace.
  3. Reply
  1. steveb81 on 04 January 2011 at 20:14
    this man is a "FAT" waste of tax payers money. This man has done this to himself, his diet is absolutely ridiculous and while he continues to eat a disgustingly unhealthy diet we continue to fund his food and his bad health. This man sums up our health and benefits system.
How different can two points of view be.

I can't understand how anyone can not have a shred of compassion or empathy for people less fortunate than themselves.

Why should people feel sorry for him? He's addicted to food. If he was a crack addict, not many people would feel sorry for him, so why should this be any different?

I personally do feel sorry for drug addicts and alcoholics in that I feel some empathy towards them and wouldn't want to be in their shoes. I just tend not to like people who judge and criticize others without having walked in their shoes. How can one judge someone and look down on them when one has no comprehension of what they're going through?

I've never taken drugs, don't drink alcohol and I give up smoking in Sept 2008 but I am addicted to food and so can feel some compassion towards those with other addictions, those that feel completely powerless.

I really can't stand it when people look down their noses at others simply because they have problems or aren't as perfect, it seems to be quite common in this day and age to judge and ridicule those who are deemed lesser human beings.

I'm not saying Paul Mason or any other addict deserves respect and adulation but a bit of compassion for others less fortunate wouldn't go a miss.

I just tend not to like people who judge and criticize others without having walked in their shoes. How can one judge someone and look down on them when one has no comprehension of what they're going through?
I've never stabbed anyone to death or gone out driving while high or pissed and killed someone, but I still feel qualified to pass judgement on them for doing it..
you don't need to experience something to form an educated opinion..

I'm not saying Paul Mason or any other addict deserves respect and adulation but a bit of compassion for others less fortunate wouldn't go a miss.

less fortunate??? I can't afford to sit at home all day and eat and pay someone to wipe my ass for me...;)

Back