Britains Fattest Man tonight

Not all addicts kill people and drive drunk, isn't that tarring everyone with the same brush, stereotyping? Might as well say all muslims are terrorists or all fat people are lazy and greedy.
Obviously if people are breaking the law then yeah, pass judgement. Just cos someone is an addict doesn't make them less of a human being than the next person.

With regards to Paul Mason, of course he's less fortunate. Would you prefer to sit home and have your arse wiped for you, or would you prefer to be active and able bodied? You are more fortunate in that you felt able to make the choice to turn your life around before you got to that stage, he is less fortunate because he didn't feel able to make that choice until the **** had hit the fan and he was deemed a "freak" by the local newspaper.

Not all addicts kill people and drive drunk, isn't that tarring everyone with the same brush, stereotyping? Might as well say all muslims are terrorists or all fat people are lazy and greedy.
I think you may have misunderstood Coljack. I don't think he was referring to addicts when he mentioned these crimes - just anybody in general who commits such offences. At least that's how I read it.

I can't understand how anyone can not have a shred of compassion or empathy for people less fortunate than themselves.

I suppose it depends on how you define less fortunate.

I do feel some sympathy for this man, but not to much.

Personally I think he is very fortunate to have received the care and treatment he has received so far and it is not over yet.

This is just a debate and each participant stating their own views. It is not a battle.

I just tend not to like people who judge and criticize others without having walked in their shoes. How can one judge someone and look down on them when one has no comprehension of what they're going through

You are quite right to feel as you do. It is refreshing to see such a high moral attitude in this day and age but I honestly feel that the people who have contributed to this thread, have and are walking in similar shoes so therefore well able to pass their own "personal" opinion. There are members on here who are or have been close to 30 stones, we are not talking about people who just need to lose a few pounds to fit into their size 12 jeans better, we are talking about people who are strong enough to take control of their own lives, accept the responsibility for their own health and bodies. Now they are the people I admire and have empathy and compassion for.

I've never stabbed anyone to death or gone out driving while high or pissed and killed someone, but I still feel qualified to pass judgement on them for doing it..
you don't need to experience something to form an educated opinion..

less fortunate??? I can't afford to sit at home all day and eat and pay someone to wipe my ass for me...;)

Well said Dean. I too think he is one very lucky individual to have had so much help.

I think you may have misunderstood Coljack. I don't think he was referring to addicts when he mentioned these crimes - just anybody in general who commits such offences. At least that's how I read it.

Me too. I read it that way though how many times have heinous crimes been committed whilst the perpetrators of the crime was under the influence of a chemical substance.

I feel no empathy for the alcoholic that killed my 2 brothers-in-law at the tender ages of 24 and 26 years old but I do feel so much compassion for my mother-in-law. I think she was the less fortunate one there.

It is great to have a thread like this where everyone's really diverse opinions are read and accepted.

It is after all, just our personal opinions. Not anything of any importance really.

Keep the opinions coming friends.

I don't know why he didn't bother helping himself when he ceased to be able to get out of a chair comfortably.

I think what made me angry was the fact that he got SO angry about them cutting his care allowance from 12 hours a day to 6. He was absolutely furious about that. I think he's had all that care just handed to him on a plate (excuse the pun) and just seems to expect it like we all owe that to him. He's the one responsible for his size, he is the person who has put that food in his mouth, chewed it and swallowed it. Nobody else. No one has forced it down his throat. If he wanted to do something about his weight then maybe he should have had ONE bag of crisps in his crisp butty we saw him eating, maybe only have HALF of that massive roast dinner... I have a massive weight problem, but when it comes down to blame, I'm the one who's eaten that food, so its my own fault.
We're educated enough in this world to know that if you eat too much you will get fat. Now of course I know there are other factors, I stick to plan 100% (most of the time) and I've only lost half a bloody stone since october, so I know as well as anyone how hard it is.
I realise I'm wittering a bit and that last part may not have made sense but it got it out of my system! haha

Returning to the issue of care, 12 hours a day reduced to 6? Can you imagine the amount of elderly or disabled people (not from their own greed) out there that get maybe a half hour visit to make sure they've been fed, or even an hour for a sponge bath? This man has made himself the way he is, and yes its horrible to live your life like that, but essentially he's being treated like a very fat king!

(no offense intended to anyone)

I think what made me angry was the fact that he got SO angry about them cutting his care allowance from 12 hours a day to 6. He was absolutely furious about that. I think he's had all that care just handed to him on a plate (excuse the pun) and just seems to expect it like we all owe that to him. He's the one responsible for his size, he is the person who has put that food in his mouth, chewed it and swallowed it. Nobody else. No one has forced it down his throat. If he wanted to do something about his weight then maybe he should have had ONE bag of crisps in his crisp butty we saw him eating, maybe only have HALF of that massive roast dinner... I have a massive weight problem, but when it comes down to blame, I'm the one who's eaten that food, so its my own fault.
We're educated enough in this world to know that if you eat too much you will get fat. Now of course I know there are other factors, I stick to plan 100% (most of the time) and I've only lost half a bloody stone since october, so I know as well as anyone how hard it is.
I realise I'm wittering a bit and that last part may not have made sense but it got it out of my system! haha

Returning to the issue of care, 12 hours a day reduced to 6? Can you imagine the amount of elderly or disabled people (not from their own greed) out there that get maybe a half hour visit to make sure they've been fed, or even an hour for a sponge bath? This man has made himself the way he is, and yes its horrible to live your life like that, but essentially he's being treated like a very fat king!

(no offense intended to anyone)

Well said!! I agree 100%

Thank you for clarifying for me.
I was indeed refering to the "don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes" comment that was made earlier and not in any way suggesting that all drink and drug adicts are criminals

oh my god!!! if it made you mad before it'll have you fuming now...
Former world's fattest man to sue NHS for his weight gain | Mail Online

Mad is an understatement !!!! This man is taking the p*ss !!!

I suppose he is applying for legal aid as well.

It is the same as a smoker suing because he has lung cancer as happened in the U.S.A.

Any sympathy anyone had for him must disappear now.

He should live here for a while where the attitude to benefits is totally different......there are very few and those that there are are only paid for a limited time apart from in extreme cases that have to be genuine.

There are so many deserving people out there. This man is a weak willed, sponger.

Elb, I have nothing but admiration for you. What you are doing is so hard. To lose so slowly is heartbreaking but you are still there, still plugging away at it.

Have you had a thyroid test done ??

Mad is an understatement !!!! This man is taking the p*ss !!!

I suppose he is applying for legal aid as well.

It is the same as a smoker suing because he has lung cancer as happened in the U.S.A.

Any sympathy anyone had for him must disappear now.

He should live here for a while where the attitude to benefits is totally different......there are very few and those that there are are only paid for a limited time apart from in extreme cases that have to be genuine.

There are so many deserving people out there. This man is a weak willed, sponger.

Elb, I have nothing but admiration for you. What you are doing is so hard. To lose so slowly is heartbreaking but you are still there, still plugging away at it.

Have you had a thyroid test done ??
As far as I'm aware I haven't had a thyroid test, but I'm never sure. When they seem to test me I never get told what its for and then they say "everything came back normal" ... what's normal? I dont know what you thought was abnormal in the first place!!!
Although I do know my liver, colesterol and blood sugar are normal :D thats one thing i know haha
Would it be worth getting it tested? bearing in mind my doctor is a bit of a waste of space...

As far as I'm aware I haven't had a thyroid test, but I'm never sure. When they seem to test me I never get told what its for and then they say "everything came back normal" ... what's normal? I dont know what you thought was abnormal in the first place!!!
Although I do know my liver, colesterol and blood sugar are normal :D thats one thing i know haha
Would it be worth getting it tested? bearing in mind my doctor is a bit of a waste of space...

It is worth asking. I have an under active thyroid and take thyroxine each day.

If your thyroid is under-active and untreated it inhibits weight loss.

Even if your doc. is a waste of space surely he can arrange something as simple as a blood test.

Good luck with it !

hugs .

You are quite right to feel as you do. It is refreshing to see such a high moral attitude in this day and age but I honestly feel that the people who have contributed to this thread, have and are walking in similar shoes so therefore well able to pass their own "personal" opinion. There are members on here who are or have been close to 30 stones, we are not talking about people who just need to lose a few pounds to fit into their size 12 jeans better, we are talking about people who are strong enough to take control of their own lives, accept the responsibility for their own health and bodies. Now they are the people I admire and have empathy and compassion for.

I wasn't actually referring to the people in this thread, I was referring to the 2nd of the quotes you posted from another source in post #75. The people in this thread are more than qualified to understand how hard it is to lose weight, that goes without saying, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I was referring to the quote below, which was probably made from a man who's never had a "fat day" in his life.

this man is a "FAT" waste of tax payers money. This man has done this to himself, his diet is absolutely ridiculous and while he continues to eat a disgustingly unhealthy diet we continue to fund his food and his bad health. This man sums up our health and benefits system.

How different can two points of view be.

Thank you for clarifying for me.
I was indeed refering to the "don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes" comment that was made earlier and not in any way suggesting that all drink and drug adicts are criminals

My apologies, I read you wrong. x

qualitybrittany said:
I don't know why he didn't bother helping himself when he ceased to be able to get out of a chair comfortably.

If it were only that easy. Same could be said for people on here

Why didn't they start doing something when.......

I'm sure a lot of people wonder how the hell I got as big as I was and why I didn't do something 'when'

I've not seen this particular programme but me and my husband watched the one on the American guy and what astounded us was the family/spouse who were bringing them the 20+ thousand calories a day.

I can understand from a personal persective about "why did you do something at 12 stone? 13 stone? 14 stone? etc" as I wouldnt be on here if I didnt get to 16 stone. I would never judge anyone for their weight problem, or at least I try very hard not to.

But, what if at some point unable to feed myself, i then have to rely on my husband to bring me my 20K calories as I physically cannot manage to fetch it myself? Whats his motivation for continuing to feed me that amount of food?

I'm not being horrible I genuinely don't understand.

Also the comment about the lung cancer and suing big tobacco is a very interesting one. That case actually arose because at the time cigarette companies did NOT disclose the fact that tobacco was carcinogenic, they were aware it is addictive but failed to disclose this to customers. When my mum started smoking as a very young teenager all she was told was that it would "stunt her growth" nothing about cancer, lung disease, heart disease, fertlity or low birth weight was mentioned.

So in that case I would say the guy was entitled to sue. Cigarette companies do millions of research into branding, taste alteration, addition of extra nicotine and specific targeting at ethnic populations. One brand in America specifically aims itself at socio-economically deprived black people, with that brand being higher in tar and nicotine. They were at one point, trying to bring out flavoured cigarettes in order to entice new smokers or people who didnt like the taste of normal tobacco. Yes theres an element of personal control and choice involved but at what point do the companies have to take some responsibilty for manipulation?

True Coljak, but then on the other hand, food doesn't contain addictive chemicals like drugs or alcohol, so in theory, even though it does happen, we shouldn't become addicted to food.

Unless of course it's really tasty and then it's a different matter.........

This article below clearly believes that people can become addicted to food.
New discoveries in science prove that industrially processed, sugar-, fat- and salt-laden food -- food that is made in a plant rather than grown on a plant, as Michael Pollan would say -- is biologically addictive.

In his book The End of Overeating, David Kessler, M.D., the former head of the Food and Drug Administration, describes the science of how food is made into drugs by the creation of hyperpalatable foods that lead to neuro-chemical addiction.

To read more on this article which explains just how addictive food is see link below...

Mark Hyman, MD: Food Addiction: Could It Explain Why 70 Percent of Americans Are Fat?

I reckon that's probably right you know... I dont crave a banana - not because I dont like them because I do! But I do crave things like hash browns, plastic cheese slices (them and hash browns together are possibly my worst enemy), fizzy drinks.

Back