'Britain's fattest teenager' regains weight after losing 14st

That's so sad. :(
Although I can see how it would happen. You can't just send someone to lose weight and have personal trainers/meals made specifically for them and expect them to be able to do it themselves after so much help when they leave, expecially someone so young.

I guess it just demonstrates again that losing weight and keeping it off are two separate things; to keep it off you have to make permanent changes in how you eat, forever.

I think people have to be ready to acknowledge that before they can achieve it. It's so terribly difficult when you're locked into a cycle of relying on certain foods to get you through the stresses of life, to face the frightening truth that you have to change forever. It's incredibly daunting. I really feel for the girl. I hope somewhere along the line she gets the help and support she needs to make permanent change.

I feel desperately sorry for her. I watched her story with interest as at 33 stone I was the same weight. I was so pleased for her when she lost so much weight and looked fantastic and it actually spurred me on though it took a long time for me to start! When I saw this in the paper today I nearly cried.:(

It's so so difficult, what the answer is I don't know....We all know that our heads need to be in the right place, if only there was a way to make it happen. I feel extremely lucky that I'm 'there' at the moment but fear losing it.

There are so many reasons we all turn to food and the unhappiness it can take to do that can be overwhelming. When you're in that state of despair there seems no way out.

I just feel so sorry for her and want to give her a great big hug and help her see it's possible!

sorry i no its off the topic but just looked at your chart and can i just say you have done fab hun i wish u could be like you x

sorry i no its off the topic but just looked at your chart and can i just say you have done fab hun i wish u could be like you x

Aww that's so sweet thank you. I'm nothing special though, just doing my best.:)

Poor girl. I want to be her friend and help her, and lose weight together. Anyone know her?

Week 1-4: 17.5lbs Week 4-9: 15.5lbs
club_10_award.jpg
2_stone.jpg
slimmer_of_week.jpg
x4
slimmer_of_month_May.jpg

I didn't see the TV show - did it explain anything about what she did at the camp?

I don't see age as a defence in this case. If she was ten and had gone through this, then fine, but she's 17. I was living alone at 16, and lots of my friends at the same age were staying in student accommodation, cooking their own meals, etc.

I feel for her having to be a carer at that age, and I can't imagine what she's going through mentally. She definitely needs support, but she also needs to realise that in the long term she has to equip herself to manage food herself.

I just watched the interview. Her real dad died when she was young. I am sure that had an impact.

Why GMTV tortured her with food I shall never know.

She had done really well up until that point. It is a real shame. But I know I am a lot heavier than what I was before I lost a few stone last year. So, I can see how it happens. She needs a mindset change like I needed. Poor girl. I feel for her x

poor thing :(

I remember watching the documentary about her and I was struck by the lack of support that her mother was willing to give her when she was coming back home for Christmas. Being a carer is definitely not easy at any age, as I can attest to, but it is soo sad that she has undone all her good work.

Poor girl

Update on this sad story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1359071/Britains-fattest-teenager-Georgia-Davis-40st.html#ixzz1Eb5oUsB4

Very upsetting to read about this update.

When I first heard about Georgia, when she went to a Fat Camp in the USA, I was worried because I felt that the issues that lead to her putting on so much weight, so quickly, needed to be addressed as a priority. Why does a child suddenly start ballooning in weight over a relatively short period?

Reducing the weight merely deals with the symptoms of another 'illness' which surely needs to be explored. I feel that in-depth counselling and support over the long term will do more to help her change her relationship with food. Once that begins to happen, she can start eating to live instead of living to eat, and so start losing the weight again.

They we discussing her case on The Wright Stuff this morning. I was half listening while pottering about, and felt frustrated that the people talking about Georgia's case didn't really have a clue. All this rubbish about 'eating less', 'exercise', 'portion size', yada yada yada.

When you feel so bad about yourself, when it is a massive effort (not physical) to just exist in the world and go about your business, when the only thing that numbs you, anesthetises you, takes it all away, is food, then that is where you will retreat to when you can. Isn't it? I certainly know how an alcoholic feels, and I guess she does too. Sadly, people with a food addiction cannot keep away from the stuff, they have to learn a way to live with it. Georgia needs help and major support to do this, it is not just a matter of losing the weight again.

I hope she isn't failed again...

ohhh that poor thing :( i wish i could help her in some way.

I saw this story in the news today. So so sad, I don't understand how she has just been left to gain all the weight again.

I know, she did so well when she went to America though. Shame the support didn't continue when she got home.:(

This is very sad, I agree.

Georgia herself is quoted as saying in the press that she isn't in the right place, right now, to deal with it.

She also seems to strongly hint that life at home continued as before, particularly food-wise, with no healthy choices being provided by her Mum. I would argue that Georgia herself could shop for what she needs provided her Mum would pay for the 'special' food which after all would be mostly salad, fruit and lean cuts, I would imagine.

The drive to lose weight again has to come from Georgia but she is very young and strikes me as lost. She may also be very depressed and trying to get movitated, here in the UK, to lose such a huge amount of weight, must seem near-impossible to her at present.

She needs help and medical/moral support. I, too, would love to help her if I could.

This is so sad :(
She's so young and she's going through something that, obviously, she can't solve alone by herself.
I really hope that some place (with a team of therapists, trainners, doctors, nutritionists and a support group... yes, I think she needs them all) would call her to take care of her until she's able to take care of herself.

It is really sad, but I feel really angry about it. Has she got a medical condition?
I know its hard, I stuggle losing weight myself. And I've let myself get to where I am now, a size 18. But how on earth someone let themselves get to 33st???

NHS, family, herself....who is to blame.....all three?

As a younger child her family should have not let her get into this state and educated her on healthy eating, but could this be the NHS/government fault for not educating the parents in the first place?

Goverment should have given her more support and more support for caring for her family also.

Someone mentioned in earlier posts that a gastric band would be the the only option but surely she has already proven that she can lose weight on her own and isn't the 'band' the easy way out that so many people are taking.

At the end of the day though, she should be old enough now and should have gained experience from the 'fat camp' to know what she should and shouldn't do and know what damage she has done or is doing to her health.

Then again, who doesn't have their excuses for being over-weight...mine is my disability, depression and just plainly eating too much.

Back