'Britain's fattest teenager' regains weight after losing 14st

Has anyone heard of an overweight person being 'addicted' to vegetables, lean meat and fruit? No, neither have I lol. The food they are usually 'addicted' to is pure crap food. So, they have to stay away from those foods basically. The same way an alcoholic isn't addicted to ALL drink...only alcoholic drink. If it's bad for you...try and stay away from it!

I am some point someone is going to have to get real with that girl and maybe only she can do it..I feel she is already facing an uphill task. I hope she gets some sanity into her life soon and some no nonsense support, training boot camping .

Whatever her emotional issues, she is still eating far too much of the wrong stuff...she could easily ballon to a mega mega size w.....she almost there now,I know I should be compassionate but when I saw the paper I was angry as hell...( not even sure what with or about ) she is young , pretty, what kind of a life is that? She'll soon be an unhappy freak show if there is no intervention..and that's just not right.:mad:

Bella

Has anyone heard of an overweight person being 'addicted' to vegetables, lean meat and fruit? No, neither have I lol. The food they are usually 'addicted' to is pure crap food. So, they have to stay away from those foods basically. The same way an alcoholic isn't addicted to ALL drink...only alcoholic drink. If it's bad for you...try and stay away from it!

Exactly..all the there there there dear won't help if she is still binging on crap day in day out.She almost deserves to be on biggest loser as a matter of national sympathy and support.

Bella

This girl isnt even 18 yet and they've predicted if she continues as she is (and unless some rich person is willing to pay the £3,600.00 a month to send her to the fat camp it seems she will) she'll be dead by the time she is 20. And thats so very sad.
Most of the time when people blame their parents I have little sympathy, but for her to eat fish and chips the day she got back clearly seems as though returning home was the start of her downfall. When a person of that age is that morbidly obese the parents need to be educated too. Taking her out of that environment clearly did wonders for her but nothing was done to improve it for her return and as far as I can tell she wasn't educated in healthy cooking etc.

There is an interview with this girl on Wednesday morning on "This Morning" if anyone wants to catch or sky+ it.

Didn't hear if her parents are being interviewed also? Should be interesting though either way.

I feel quite blessed that luckily my 12 year old has no weight issues - however i have started to keep a closer eye on her diet since I have started to behave myself in a more responsible manner with my food. Parents need to set an example not just in morals and behaviour but in routines and attitudes too.

When I saw this I was in shock, I am around her age and the same height but now where close to that weight. I feel sorry for her for being publicized like that, it's just wrong. I understand stress can get to a person (considering that's the main reason I gained weight) but I cannot believe she, and the people around her let it get this bad. I pray that she gets the help she needs, and can leave a healthy happy life.

I feel really sorry for this girl, everyone can say, ah well she's as much to blame as anyone and maybe so, but her mother should have intervened, i know there is only so much her mum can do and maybe her mother isnt in a fit state to intervene but its sad if there is no one around who can, i know that its enough of a struggle for me to get my eating straight after every dress size gained i swear ill sort it and im still bigger than ever, and i get really down which makes it worse about how far i have to go and thats nothing compared to her! imagine how much of a dead end you must feel like your at some one needs to take her under their wing and get her sorted and her mother educated as well, im no where near that size but when my mother saw i was clearly struggling and had issues she stepped in very gently and very carefully but she stepped in and tried to help and keeps me on the right track even when it involves me being moody that she's pointed out what im about to eat isnt right. I hope someone helps her!

This is such a sad story, The poor girl i do think the mother must be partly to blame as when you change your life you need everyone around you to support that life change and sending them to the chippy the first day back isnt going to help. I feel there is alot more support though for this kind of thing in America where they have groups similar to alcoholics anonymous where people can talk about why they are eating. I dont know if that exsists in the Uk other then in WW ect (which is not really designed as a councilling event) but really feel it would be of benefit. Children should be being taught from a young age what is good and bad to eat and the effects its having on your body. After all you would never put the wrong petrol in your car because it would stop running. Nutrition is such an important part of our lives and as such should be addressed with the same enthusiam as core subjects like Maths and english. I know when i was in school we were never told anything really about food and at lunch cheesy chips was considered the norm. Until peoples awareness changes there will be no help for people like this girl

Children should be being taught from a young age what is good and bad to eat and the effects its having on your body. After all you would never put the wrong petrol in your car because it would stop running. Nutrition is such an important part of our lives and as such should be addressed with the same enthusiam as core subjects like Maths and english. I know when i was in school we were never told anything really about food and at lunch cheesy chips was considered the norm. Until peoples awareness changes there will be no help for people like this girl

I couldn't agree more! Nutrition REALLY needs to be taught in school.

Yes, I think this is the key too. They just dont teach nutrition and cookery like they used to. My daughter is 11 she does food science as design technology- whatever that is. What I do know is they made three things last year- chocolate muffins, chipati bread and cookies, I ask you. Where is the stuff we learnt, fish pie, shepards pie, risotto staple food.

I do agree that initially maybe her mother was to blame but good grief she spent NINE MONTHS with top dieticians, nutritionalists, psychologists etc, thats far far more educating than your average person gets. Yet despite all that she still gained all the weight back - and then some. I really cant see how thats her mothers fault.

Ok the mother isnt eating healthily herself but the girl is 17, almost an adult, with a wealth of dietary knowledge yet still chose to eat junk. Shes not a child, noone forced her to eat the food her mother was eating.... first time round yes her mother was a lot to blame, 2nd time round, she did it to herself.

I get really pissed off when people blame the NHS and education system, there has always been health education programmes (certainly in the last 20 years).

People really have to take responsibility for themselves.

I am an educated person and I know loads about food and nutrition, and excercise, but I still let myself get fat! I know what foods are good and bad for me, and I also know what I like. Knowing this doesn't stop me blowing out!

Her mother should be ashamed of herself - she has been obese since she was a baby being fed on condensed milk because she didn't like formula. What hope did she have?

I also totally disagree the mum's claim that healthy food is expensive! What a load of tripe. Certainly junk food is readily available and more often on BOGOF offers, very difficult to avoid in the big supermarkets but budget stores like Farmfoods and Lidl sell good, low priced meat poulty and fish, fresh and frozen veg, and low fat dairy products. It's actually cheaper if you are watching your money.

It's all blame, blame, blame, NHS, education, junk food producers etc and taking absolutely no responsibility for themselves.

I am fat. I live in a junk food'alchol consuming culture. It's still my fault I'm fat, because I chose to ignore my knowledge and buy junk food eat too much of it.

Accepting responsibility is the only way things will improve for this girl and her mum, because they can then change habits.

ETA Nutrition IS taught in schools.

Chunky Madwife said:
I get really pissed off when people blame the NHS and education system, there has always been health education programmes (certainly in the last 20 years).

People really have to take responsibility for themselves.

I am an educated person and I know loads about food and nutrition, and excercise, but I still let myself get fat! I know what foods are good and bad for me, and I also know what I like. Knowing this doesn't stop me blowing out!

Her mother should be ashamed of herself - she has been obese since she was a baby being fed on condensed milk because she didn't like formula. What hope did she have?

I also totally disagree the mum's claim that healthy food is expensive! What a load of tripe. Certainly junk food is readily available and more often on BOGOF offers, very difficult to avoid in the big supermarkets but budget stores like Farmfoods and Lidl sell good, low priced meat poulty and fish, fresh and frozen veg, and low fat dairy products. It's actually cheaper if you are watching your money.

It's all blame, blame, blame, NHS, education, junk food producers etc and taking absolutely no responsibility for themselves.

I am fat. I live in a junk food'alchol consuming culture. It's still my fault I'm fat, because I chose to ignore my knowledge and buy junk food eat too much of it.

Accepting responsibility is the only way things will improve for this girl and her mum, because they can then change habits.

ETA Nutrition IS taught in schools.

Excellent post! Always the easy option to blame schools, teachers and NHS!

This girl is addicted to food and eating. Many here are too, and I include myself in that. The problem for her is that it is more severe than it is in most others at a comparable age.

There is no reasoning with addiction, no bargaining with it. Permanent changes have to be made in her relationship with food. She really does need help but in the end SHE has to want to eat less. This she achieved in the USA with a team of expert helpers. When she got back home the 'old' lifestyle was waiting for her. She's still pretty young at 17. Let's face it.

Such a shame.

Just in response to a few peoples comments on here, if she is reliant on the food her mum buys and doesnt have the money to get her own food, she does sort of have to eat what her mum puts in front of her i know that she must eat ALOT of other stuff as well and i do appreciate that but i think the mother for her duaghters sake should have been enforcing her healthy eating i belive. I also know that nutrition is not taught properly in schools you get a handfull of lessons explaining some bits, if i knew when i was at school what i know now, my life would be a different story! I found out the bulk of what i know through self reasearch and other people NOT through school, and i do strongly belive that the lack of ability to cook good meals your self does lead to takeaways and junk. . they do not teach cooking in schools the way they used to and as a result, school leavers have very little idea unless taught by parents, i know you figure it out and learn yourself but i wish i had been taught the kind of cookery my mum was at school, our "food tech" consisted of making pizza, pasta, biscuits and "self projects" aka whatever we wanted we were not given the resources or instruction or guidance to learn to cook a full healthy meal. I belive some (not all not majority) but SOME of the blame has to lie within this, just my opinion tho peeps! x

Hey cupcake I have to agree with you! When i was in school and we did home ec the first thing we were taught was soup (healthy yes!) but after that it was all cakes and biscuits and pizzas aswell (maybe we were in the smae school) But in terms of learning what was good for you and what was bad there was nothing!! and i mean nothing! I was pretty skinny as a teenager so i didnt really need to know and everything i have learnt has been through freinds and self research.

Well no-one taught me business studies and finance.......bloody education's fault that I'm not a multi-millionaire business woman.

And no-one taught me mechanics......no wonder I'm spending a fortune at the garage on repairs.

Wait a minute......no-one at school told me it was dangerous to throw a toaster in a bath and jump in with it ...............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAP!

In short, all the bad things in my life must be someone else fault? Bollocks.

Sorry, but Blame Culture sickens me.

School taught her to READ. Surely she can read books? Cookery books, diet books, health and fitness etc?

As said by someone else, she was helped by nutriotionists, fitness coaches, psychologists etc while on the programme. Knowledge was passed on to her.

It's very sad that she has got to the size she is, but blaming everyone else is disempowering her.

Acknowledging that she has a choice in what she eats/does will empower her into making positive lifestyle choices.

It does have to come from within though......I am testament to that. I haven't been in the right frame of mind for a few years now. It's hard getting motivated, but it is like a light bulb going on when it does.

She is only 17 !!!! I dont know about you but when I was 17 I hadnt got a clue! 17 is still young she doesnt have complete control of her life yet ie her own finances .

Its not blame culture! Yes some people are sorted when there 17 but most still rely heavily on bank of mum and dad. Im not saying being educated about this in school would stop the problem - but for some people it could certainly prevent it.

Your are comparing being educated in health to buying a car something which is completely different. Yes she does need to want to do it for herself but maybe living at home she cant do this - maybe if there were programmes in school to address obesity they could provide Help here, regardless of her mum and dad.

In my school if they thought you were anorexic you got lots of help - if you were obese you got nothing

Back