'Britain's fattest teenager' regains weight after losing 14st

Course the single biggest factor which is stopping her losing weight which is going to stop SW or any other diet working - is her. Until shes in the right place theres nothing anyone can say or do that will help her. Clearly she just has no real interest in losing the weight, especially when you see the rate shes gaining weight.

Just googled her, she was 18stones in June 2009 and shes now 45 stones?? Thats 27 stones shes gained in 2 years :eek:

its so sad, but I cant actually see this story having a happy ending :(

Last edited:
Oh I totally agree there - noone can make you loose weight, god knows I have tried and tried in the past. When I fell pregnant last year I weighed 17'1, and it was actually a pregnancy complaication that started it for me - I had hyperemesis (extreme vomiting) and well over two stone while pregnant.

I then put stone back on after the birth and in August my lightbulb switched on and enough was enough - and this time my determination hasn't wavered. However this must be the umpteenth time of trying!

She's not the only one to blame, she is still a child, her mother helped her get to the size she was and taught her those bad habits, as my mum taught me and her mum taught her!

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins x x x

Yeah but when it was first in the news she was what 33 stone at 14? Her mothers very large herself, to be that size at that age she has been overfed from a young age and the blame for that falls solely with her mum. She isn't helping herself now but it all originates with what her mum had done to her.

My mum blames herself for me being overweight because she wad the one who would give me the food. I just made it worse when I discovered booze in uni lol

To a degree yes but shes now had 10s of £1000s spent on her, shes been at camp in the US and learned everything she needed to know about health, diet and nutrition, then she came home and just cant be bothered

Id say her mother is partly responsible for her getting to 33 stone at 14 but with help she got down to 18 stone. As an adult, with her new found knowledge and all the help shes had SHE gained 27 stones in weight in 2 years. Im sorry theres NOONE to blame for that but her.

Sadly its something she doesnt seem to be prepared to accept, every interview with her is full of reasons why 'she couldnt' She cant afford gym membership, yet she can afford take aways. She just wont take responsibilty for her weight gain this time round, and now she says she expectsMORE NHS money to help her. :banghead:

Yeah but when she first came back from the American camp her mother refused to buy healthy food and took her to have fish and chips, they are both to blame now as she is old enough to make her own decisions but its her mothers fault for feeding her far to big portions, the wrong food and personally I think getting your child to 33 stone should be classed as child abuse.

she didnt have to EAT the stuff, she could have tried to get her mum to eat healthily. Shes old enough to take control, shes not a child any more, shes an adult, making adult choices. She could have helped educate her mum with the knowledge she got in the US

I do agree that something should have been done way before she got to 33 stones, but something WAS done when she was that weight, at the NHS expense she got SO much help then came back and just went back to her old habits - as an adult, not a child. I do most definitely agree her mum is responsible for her initial problems, but she came back, looking great, so healthy and active. From what she says she made NO effort to change her mums outlook... her mum wasnt the one who had just spent all those months with the experts, her mum didnt get all the help and advice. SHE did, SHE should have come back and explained to her mother what was needed or just said NO to the fish and chips & made something for herself. She doesnt even seem to have made eny effort to change things, theres no mention of her offering to do some food shopping, prepare meals etc, no, she came home, and just went back to what shed been doing all along

It something you see on here all the time, people slate VLCDs 'Oh youll gain all your weight back on again' No you wont, how you lose weight is irrelevant, once youve lost it its what you do when you try to maintain, or to lose more than influences your success, not how you lost the weight.

I think its just so so sad, shes clearly not in the right mindset to lose weight, again until she takes responsibility and even if she does, does she actually have time left to make enough changes to save her life :( You have to wonder, the medical profession will intervene if someone is starving themsellves to death, theyll step in and force the person to be hospitalised, fed etc, yet at the other end of the scale, it seems to be a totally different position, yet shes killing herself too.

It's like me blaming my Mum for me being big now, while I was a child and big then yes the parent is at fault but when you are a adult and had all the info this women would of got at the camp, it's 100% her fault she is big now.

I'm not disagreeing with you that she is now old enough to have taken control and do something for herself she is lazy and she does just want a quick fix.

What I'm saying is that when she came back from the camp she was still only what 15, had no money of her own to go out and do shopping for herself, she was still big when she come back from camp and her options were starve or eat what her mother gave her I.e it was initially her mothers fault she began to put weight back on. But when she was 16 if she really wanted it she could have moved out and gotten healthy herself.

As cruel as it sounds she should have been completely removed from her mothers care after being st fat camp it would have given her a better chance at continuing to life weight. Her mother had done an interview saying she deliberately stopped her from losing weight because she was jealous.

This girl has been failed by so many people, herself, her mother. The nhs and social services.

She would obviously have been very overweight at a young age, her mother should have been educated in healthy eating by the nhs and they both should have been closely monitored by social services. If that had happened she would never have had to go to fat camp and she wouldn't have been where she is today.

JLStretton said:
It's like me blaming my Mum for me being big now, while I was a child and big then yes the parent is at fault but when you are a adult and had all the info this women would of got at the camp, it's 100% her fault she is big now.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but her initial size was entirely her mothers fault, she wasnt offered the proper care needed after losing all that weight she was still a child when she came back from fat camp her mum failed her. The nhs failed her and so now she is failing herself because of all the mistakes and failings that happened to her as a child. She has been taught inadvertently as a child that if she gets big enough she will get an easier fix where she doesn't do the hard work she is obviously going to carry that into adulthood she was taught to be lazy, she wad taught to have big portions and at the one point where she was given the opportunity to learn all this she came back to this country back into the same situation she had left before she went. Noone changed her mums views on food therein lies the problem they helped her but didn't get the root of the problem which back then was her mum so through sheer laziness she fell back into her old routine.

I want to make it clear that it is completely her fault that she is so big now I'm not contesting that in any way shape or form but her mother should not be let off the hook for the psychological damage she has done to her that attributes to the way she is now.

it seems from the first article link that she is the main carer for both of her parents, therefore is obviously old enough to do the shopping and cooking, so she not only has the opportunity to change her own eating habits but her parents too.

I'm afraid I don't have any sympathy for this girl, as said before she's had much more help from the NHS and GP then a lot of other people who have managed quite well themselves to lose weight and keep it off.

In my opinion this is just another example of people expecting someone else to take full responsibility for them.

Good lord, really? This girl is so very ill and all anyone wants to do is say she brought it on herself? She's a teenager. How many brilliant responsible decisions did you make at that age? The girl cares for both parents and from the looks of things has had a grim, sad life. To have eaten herself to that weight suggests severe depression to me - she's killing herself. Only people in the self destructive grip of dependency will do that.

The poor, poor child. It's a shame her boot camp experience didn't change her life the way it was hoped, but look at the statistics from how many drug addicts slip back after rehab, how many alcoholics relapse after completing the 12 steps, how many released prisoners reoffend. Out of the restrictive, unrealistic environment of the boot camp, she didn't keep up the regime.

I suspect I'm far more educated than she has a hope of being and I still live unhealthily from time to time - and did solidly for a long time.

I hope she gets help. I suspect surgery is her only chance now, and I'd rather my taxes pay for it than see a young girl die needlessly.

Good lord, really? This girl is so very ill and all anyone wants to do is say she brought it on herself? She's a teenager. How many brilliant responsible decisions did you make at that age?

Very good point. Speaking just for myself, I was a complete idiot at that age (albeit a slim one...).

She was a little kid when her problems began - given condensed milk instead of breast/bottle mik as a baby, and then allowed to eat double portions of fish and chips when older!

Yes she was given an opportunity to sort it all out as a teenager, and then went back to her destructive ways when back in her previous environment. It's pretty textbook "normalcy". Who here can truly say they've never put the weight back on with interest after a successful weight loss? Not many I suspect - and we're mostly adults!

It's not like she wasn't still overweight when she got back from the USA - I think she was still 18st at her lightest. So to be confronted with her old pals fisn'n'chips immediately on her return, tired, jetlagged and probably after having still had to ask for a seat belt extension on the plane - was probably more temptation than most of us could fend off, IMHO!

Also if you read more than just the one news article other than the one linked to this page you will find her age changes, one paper says her dad is alive another says her dad is dead the only thing you know for sure is that to be 33stone at 13 she's been overfed a heck of a lot as spread over her 13 years its around 2 and a half stone a year. She may not be helping herself now but her mum made her the way she is.

Her mum should have been educated on healthy eating. The girl herself should have taken a bit of responsibility and told her mother that she had the knowledge to eat healthily and keep losing weight and it would be a massive benefit for the whole family. I cant believe no-one stepped in when she started to gain that much weight again, she should have been monitored to make sure she carried on losing weight until she had a healthy BMI. Alot of people failed her.

Her mum should have been educated on healthy eating. The girl herself should have taken a bit of responsibility and told her mother that she had the knowledge to eat healthily and keep losing weight and it would be a massive benefit for the whole family. I cant believe no-one stepped in when she started to gain that much weight again, she should have been monitored to make sure she carried on losing weight until she had a healthy BMI. Alot of people failed her.

I've just seen this too. Don't know all the ins and outs - just that the girl herself is a young carer. I'm not sure what her actual age was when this thread was started, but I'm working on 17 as she went to 'fat camp' at 15? I've been working with young people for 16 years and clearly remember being one myself with a weight problem! It has taken me years to get my head round my emotional eating and I'm still not there yet.
There's such a culture of blame associated with being overweight. Education does play a big part, but in the end it's not the girl's fault that she has such emotional pain. I agree with Jen, one would have thought her mum would have supported her but one post said they had seen an interview where the mother stated she was jealous of her daughter's loss - so she probably encouraged her to put the weight back on. The mother obviously has her own issues, so that hasn't helped. I hope the poor girl gets her head round her problem sooner than later and tries again; although it might take her years. If only it was as simple as 'you're an adult - sort yourself out'. If it was, we'd have no obesity epidemic, no drug or alcohol abuse culture etc etc and wouldn't life be so much better for all of us?

This is so sad :( Makes me realise how lucky I am.

Back