britains fattest teenager

Shes an adult... shes old enough to make her own decisions. I dont think its fair to blame her parents, shes not a child.

I dont think that it can be easy being in 'the limelight' like this, Ive often thought that Id hate to be a celeb whos lost weight as the media seem to take huge delight in 'failed' dieters.

I hope she finds a way to get the help with her weight (again) that she needs, you only need to look round Minis to see how many people (myself included) have regained weight.

I was looking at another thread which posted the original newspaper article from 2008 before she went to the USA and lost 18 stone.

There was a photo of her sitting next to the food she ate daily. It consists solely of carbs; bread, fat cola, crisps, biscuits, cakes, a ready meal, chips, whole milk, the whole lot coming to nearly 14,000 cals.

Now I read she has 'gone back' to eating the same sort of stuff again.

It is clear that she can't cope with carbs, they lead to her wanting to eat more and more. I can identify with this:(, and I am certain that many 'failed' dieters can too. When I eat low carb, I don't have the same emotional response with what I am eating (that I do with certain higher carb foods). I know when I am full and I stop.

I have reluctantly realised that for me, I will always have to watch the carbs because they will always exert a very strong reaction. The thing is, no-one else can do this for me, only me. She has to understand that only she can lose this weight, and that limiting the carbs is probably the only way she can regain some control again. A VLCD may be a good start because it will take her away from real food and carbs for a while. This can be a real freeing experience to people who experience it. What do others think?

I was looking at another thread which posted the original newspaper article from 2008 before she went to the USA and lost 18 stone.

There was a photo of her sitting next to the food she ate daily. It consists solely of carbs; bread, fat cola, crisps, biscuits, cakes, a ready meal, chips, whole milk, the whole lot coming to nearly 14,000 cals.

Now I read she has 'gone back' to eating the same sort of stuff again.

It is clear that she can't cope with carbs, they lead to her wanting to eat more and more. I can identify with this:(, and I am certain that many 'failed' dieters can too. When I eat low carb, I don't have the same emotional response with what I am eating (that I do with certain higher carb foods). I know when I am full and I stop.

I have reluctantly realised that for me, I will always have to watch the carbs because they will always exert a very strong reaction. The thing is, no-one else can do this for me, only me. She has to understand that only she can lose this weight, and that limiting the carbs is probably the only way she can regain some control again. A VLCD may be a good start because it will take her away from real food and carbs for a while. This can be a real freeing experience to people who experience it. What do others think?

There is an absolute ton of recent research into the effects of carbs, which proves over and over that carb is the worst thing anyone can eat. It just sets up cravings for more, messes with your insulin production which causes you to gain weight and can ultimately lead to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.

The old idea of the low fat high complex carb diet is outdated and quite frankly in my opinion downright dangerous, and yet it is still the number one diet advice being churned out by the medical profession. There is just so much scientific evidence to the contrary. Carb is like an addiction and leads to craving more carb when you try to cut it down, but those that can get over that initial hurdle find weight loss so much easier. I have been trying to lose weight for over 30 years, and this year I have finally gotten to grips with a low carb lifestyle. 24 weeks and 78lbs later I look and feel great. I could never have done it on any other type of diet, this is my future now.

Last edited:
There is an absolute ton of recent research into the effects of carbs, which proves over and over that carb is the worst thing anyone can eat. It just sets up cravings for more, messes with your insulin production which causes you to gain weight and can ultimately lead to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.

The old idea of the low fat high complex carb diet is outdated and quite frankly in my opinion downright dangerous, and yet it is still the number one diet advice being churned out by the medical profession. There is just so much scientific evidence to the contrary. Carb is like an addiction and leads to craving more carb when you try to cut it down, but those that can get over that initial hurdle find weight loss so much easier. I have been trying to lose weight for over 30 years, and this year I have finally gotten to grips with a low carb lifestyle. 24 weeks and 78lbs later I look and feel great. I could never have done it on any other type of diet, this is my future now.

Wow, well done you on your weight-loss, Lynn!

This young woman is a classic example of everything that is wrong with the dieting industry. What is her future now?

I hope she can find it within herelf to lose the weight again.
The food bill must be sky high, she would benefit spending that money on councelling a few times a week - It was a long time ago when I saw the show but was her mam dependant on her daughters help like a carer? I might be wrong there actually.

I would take blame myself if it was my daughter. It's upto me to encourage my daughter to stay healthy and to make sure she is.
If she got to 30 odd stone aged 15 then I've done my job wrong imo becasue I could hardly have not seen it happening.

I grew up with a mam who over fed me then knocked all my confidence by calling me fat, taking me to slimming clubs, then over feeding me constantly and on the cycle went - I would never do that to my daughter.

Back