butternut squash soup ...

linzi969

I made soup the other day butternut squash, carrots, sweet pots n parsnips n it was AWFUL lol, does anyone have a nice syn free butternut squash soup recipe pls xxx

I just use butternut, onion and chicken stock and its lovely

I use:
bns,
carrot,
sweetpotato,
onion,
stock (chicken or veg).
I make up a "pot" of spices. 1 teaspoon of each of the following:
ginger,
garlic,
cumin,
coriander,
paprika,
black pepper/white pepper (whatever is around),
cayenne pepper,
cinammon.
Mix all the spices together & use as desired. 1 tsp of the mixed spices makes quite a strong tasting spicy soup. Its lovely.

I sometimes add a drizzle of creme fraiche as well if I feel like a "luxurious" soup.

After watching the first episode of Lorraine Pascales new show on the Beeb! Ain't iplayer great! She put ginger and chilli in hers! Might be worth a go, in fact I think it's going to be for dinner tonight!

it looked delicious !! i dont really believe that woman eats all her own food??? she was stick thin

it looked delicious !! i dont really believe that woman eats all her own food??? she was stick thin

Your probably right there! Although it did give me the idea of doing the peppermint creams for the kids for a halloween treat!

After watching the first episode of Lorraine Pascales new show on the Beeb! Ain't iplayer great! She put ginger and chilli in hers! Might be worth a go, in fact I think it's going to be for dinner tonight!

Have got my butternut squash roasting in the oven now. Did not write the recipe down so may improvise a little.
Did notice that she holds the food to her mouth but nothing goes in. That may be where I am going wrong.......lol

Have got my butternut squash roasting in the oven now. Did not write the recipe down so may improvise a little.
Did notice that she holds the food to her mouth but nothing goes in. That may be where I am going wrong.......lol

Soup was lovely. I ate it with some potato fritters as I do miss my bread to "dip" Took a photo but have no idea how to post from iphone. Can anyone help with instructions? :confused:

Aww i must watch this, think hubbie gets it on ps3. Is it sw related food xx

No, unfortunatly! Just a coincidence that I watched it on replay and saw the thread afterwards. Nice to watch, I sure loads can be adapted to SW recipes. Not sure how I can adapt the peppermint cremes to make them syn free though!:sigh:

Lol would b nice !! I tend to do tht with any recipe but sometimes its hard, its good there is so many sw recipes thou xx

Here is the actual recipe, if you replace butter and oil with
Fry Light and syn the coconut milk, should be relatively low in syns.
I personally am going to try it without the coconut milk.

Lorraine Pascales Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Chilli and Ginger.

One butternut squash
One clove garlic
One onion
Splash olive oil
Knob of butter
One regular chilli
1cm chunk fresh ginger
900ml chicken stock
Half a lime
One tablespoon tinned coconut milk
One sprig coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
  1. To start Lorraine chops her butternut squash in half long ways and removes the seeds. She slashes criss-crosses into the flesh of both halves, drizzles with olive oil and seasons with salt and pepper.
  2. Lorraine places an unpeeled clove of garlic into the hollow of one of the squash halves and roasts everyting in an oven at 190 degrees C for around 30 minutes.
  3. While the butternut squash and garlic is roasting, Lorraine finely chops her onion and adds to a hot pan of olive oil and butter, where she lightly fries them for 10-15 minutes until soft but not brown.
  4. After 30 minutes, Lorraine takes the squash out of the oven and scoops the flesh out of the skin, and places it into the pan with the onions.
  5. Lorraine finely chops and de-seeds a regular chilli and adds about half to the pan along with the fresh ginger which she greats finely.
  6. Before mixing together Lorraine adds 900ml of chicken stock (vegetable stock would be fine, and you can use your preferred brand of either).
  7. After a final stir, Lorraine pours the contents of the pan into her food blender, where she whizzes up into a fine and rich texture.
  8. Before serving Lorraine adds a few twists of fresh black pepper, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.

That sounds lovely! i'm going to give it a go SW style tomorrow!
Thanks for the share

Here's another..................

Pete’s Butternut Squash Curry Soup

Serves 4

Ingredients

425g/half a Butternut Squash, cut into 30mm cubes (leave the skin on) remove seeds.
750g chicken stock
1 tbsp. madras curry powder
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped

Method

Spray a frying pan with Fry Light, cook the onion until soft, add curry powder, add the cut butternut squash, along with the carrot & celery bring to the boil and then simmer for 30-40 mins until everything is soft. Season with salt & pepper.
Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender.

When buying butternut squash check that it sounds hollow when tapped, is a good orange colour with no bruises or green tinge.

They store well in a cool room wrapped in a dark paper bag, NOT in a plastic bag as it will rot!

Attachments

• Butternut Squash Curry Soup (Large).JPG
    Butternut Squash Curry Soup (Large).JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 109
EXTRA EASY SYN FREE butternut squash soup

Hi i downloaded the slimming world app for my phone and it had some really tasty recipes . I found one for butternut squash soup and i loved it and the best thing about it , it is syn free on extra easy . Look bellow on how to make it .

*Brown 1 chopped onion a 2 garlic cloves in a large pan sprayed with fry light, add a medium, chopped butternut squash then pour in 1.5 pints of chicken stock season and simmer for 23-30 minutes. Blend and serve. :D

PS, I ADDED SOME CHILI POWDER AND MIXED HERBS TO MAKE IT A LITTLE MORE INTERESTING LOL.

Back