Butternut Squash

Hopeful Daisy

Hello, can you tell me thes best way to cook butternut squash pls. Someone told me you don't have to peel it...is that true? The skin seems a bit tough to eat. Also, what temp and for how long? Thanks :)

PS been very pleased so far with results, I haven't been doing the walking as I have three broken toes, one of them my big toe so very pleased I am still losing :)

Hi daisy,

I peel it - though it is an effort! Just makes me think of the extra calories I'm burning doing it :D and I usually make it in to soup by boiling it (not in a lot of water) then adding stock and random spices and chilli (I am an experimental cook I just whack a load of different stuff in and hope for the best, never had any disasters)

I also use it in curry, just chuck it in with the rest of the veg. I have no idea how long it takes to cook. I'd say about twenty mins.

This post doesn't seem very helpful I'm sorry! X

I peeled mine, cut it into chunks and put in oven gas mark 5 for about 40 mins I think. It was yummy.

I guess if you don't want to peel, just cut it in half or quarter, scoop out seeds and bake, then just scoop it out to eat

There's a peeler that will do it, I'll post a picture when I can. But I sometimes just cut into quarters and steam for twenty mins. You can then just scoop out the flesh from the skin. Good if having it mashed, but for curry you need to peel.

simply cut into chunks and sprinkled with herbs then roasted is always a favourite in our house even when people arent on a dier

I peel mine if I am roasting it - just slice the skin off with a knife, but I did see Nigella making soup on TV without peeling it, which I tend to do too.

Back