Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Buying clothes before you have lost weight

Discussion in 'Retail Therapy' started by KG2007, 30 March 2010 Social URL.

1. KG2007

KG2007 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st1.6lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6.9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.1lb(3.83%)
    Diet:
    Low gi diet
    I bought a magazine the other day and it had a booklet for this new website that sold clothes. I looked through it and loved so much but I have stopped myself from buying anything as (hopefully!) they will end up too big for me as I lose weight.

My question is, has anyone bought something in the dress size they want to be as motivation to get down to that size? Is it a waste of money just in case? I found a dress that I love! I know that I wouldn't look good in it at the moment but think that I would once I lose the weight I need to.

I don't know what to do! I'm nearly one size down (I tried on a pair of jeans one size down and they nearly fit me!) but ideally need to get another 3/4 sizes down.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Littleone

Littleone Full Member

Diet:
    No diet, just slimpods :)
    I'm afraid I have no answers for you but I was thinking about doing this too.

4. Style-Queen

Style-Queen Full Member

Diet:
    Healthy eating
    I do this ALL the time! I have lots of clothes in size 12 that are for when I'm 'at target'. I've got about 2 whole wardrobes full of clothes like this. I try to resist buying them, but I tell myself I'll still love them when I'm slim and that I need them, so I cave in and buy!

5. rubyangel

rubyangel skinny jeans-im on my way

Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Diet:
    exante
    ebays always good to buy smaller clothes to have as targets

6. Jesca

Jesca Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st9.5lb
    Current Weight:
    23st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    21st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Yes I do this, I've had to stop myself though as the "clothes that don't fit me" collection is as big as my clothes that do fit me collection!

I did however buy a red and white polka dot bikini in the next sale for £5, it's a size 18, I'm a 30/32 but it's something to aim for!! Most of my don't fit me clothes are no smaller than a 26 or 28 x

7. rubyangel

rubyangel skinny jeans-im on my way

Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Diet:
    exante
    sure we,ll get there one day hun.

8. Toots

Toots Gold Member

Diet:
    Exante
    In the main I don't think it's a good idea - better to buy clothes that make you feel good now. I find that my tastes change and also you still have to consider what suits you when you try something on - it's about shape as well as size ;)

That said - there's always an exception to every rule and there is always something that little bit special with which resistance is futile :D

xxx

Ps I am a complete hyprocite as I too have a skinny wardrobe with the tags still on

9. Miss Mango

Miss Mango Little Miss Wii Fit!

Start Weight:
    14st1lb
    Current Weight:
    12st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st13lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8lb(11.17%)
    Diet:
    My own
    I never know my size anymore due to the shops seemingly making everything so much smaller than they used to be. I have size 12 clothes from about 6-7 years back (which are still fashionable now!) which actually fit me but no way can I get into most 12's out there now, they are tiny.
    I am into a 14 mostly now, but I can get into some 12's (like from Next for example) It just depends which company makes them.

But I have a whole wardrobe FULL of clothes that used to fit me and they are size 10 - I MUST get back into them again as they are gorgeous and also cost me a fortune - although I did buy them when I was that size.

I bought 2 dresses lately which I can get into but the zips don't do all the way up but they were so nice I wanted them anyway. My aim is to get into those comfortably. Also my size 14 jeans which I mention in my sig are Jane Norman skinny jeans and so are pretty small fitting but I can get them up now and do them up (which I couldn't before!) but I have a muffin top in them. Also bought some size 14 shorts which are tight.

And with that, I'll shut up cos I've written an essay and gone totally off topic!! :p

10. gina_b

gina_b Les Mills Fitness Freak

Start Weight:
    10st0lb
    Current Weight:
    8st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(10.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    herbalife
    i do this, i bought alot of pretty size 6's and i want them to fit me! currently an 8/10, but i want tot fit these or have them big on me! i occasionally have to weara childs size 12/13 too,

11. Vixs

Vixs Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st11lb(23.66%)
    Diet:
    JUDDD
    All the time. I have almost a whole wardrobe full of clothes that are a size or couple of sizes down. I am determined to get into them.

12. Louisa78

Louisa78 Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    9st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(36.41%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Yep.

I have a "used to fit me" section of my wardrobe.
    A "bought for when i have lost the weight" section of my wardrobe.
    And a bit that fits me now.

Honestly i think i have about 15 pairs of jeans that i have bought in various Next sales in anticipation of losing weight....

I do actually have a pair of jeans and a top that i have that i am working towards :)

13. kazzymc

kazzymc Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st3lb
    Current Weight:
    16st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13.5lb(10.78%)
    Diet:
    slimfast
    i dont do this basically cause i cant afford to lol, but i would love to get to a size 14 id be pretty happy with that.
    clothes sizing is a joke it varies so widely from company to company

14. Kimmy x

Kimmy x Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(3.9%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I buy clothes that are smaller all the time. It's great when you can fit into them, but it can also really annoy you when they dont lol x

15. gina_b

gina_b Les Mills Fitness Freak

Start Weight:
    10st0lb
    Current Weight:
    8st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(10.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    herbalife
    seen a gorgous dress, i really want it. but i want it in a 6.... it wont fit me yet, its one of them skin tight body con type dresses, but its so pretty. i need it. i want it. i want to be a 6 in it.

16. lorraineA

lorraineA Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st5lb
    Current Weight:
    17st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st9lb(17.06%)
    Diet:
    Slim & Save
    I have a whole range of sizes in my wardrobe but I am really looking forward to giving all my largerst clothes to a charity shop when they are too big.

17. Fattack

Fattack Likes to eat

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    I have a pair of leather style skinny pants that I bought in the asos sale for like 4quid in a size 10 and I do use them as a gauge. I bought them back in 2009 and a colleague made a snarky remark that even *she* couldn't fit in a size 10. They zip up now but are uncomfortable to wear, so they're my clothing goal for the moment :) Generally, I'm very reluctant to buy clothes in advance - buying clothes is a nightmare for me anyway as I'm really short, plus, you don't know where the weight will go from - for example, my sister is very slim, but never loses weight from her hips so would never be smaller than an 8-10 there without making herself poorly.

18. Fattack

Fattack Likes to eat

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    I did this last week! But don't make the same mistake I did - make sure you keep one pair of fat pants for when you've hit goal and can see how big a change you've made :D Luckily I did keep one dress that I have my *fat photo* of me in.

19. stephhh

stephhh Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    WW
    I've bought a size 12 dress that I want to get into for my holiday!

20. Antiefeva

Antiefeva Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(8.38%)
    Diet:
    Weightwatchers now Exante.
    I still have a suitcase of my favourite clothes that are too small. I hang onto them for 'when I can fit into them'.

I think I should throw them out though or give them to a charity shop because I think if I do it this time then I deserve a new wardrobe not the old one.

21. CatherineBee

CatherineBee Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    6st8lb(33.33%)
    Diet:
    Weightwatchers Pro Points
    I buy clothes i like in a smaller size as an incentive and it seems to work well. I get such a sense of achievement when the zip finally goes up on a pair of jeans in a smaller size (bonus if you can breathe too)

My current aim is to get in a size 14 bridesmaid dress by Nov 5th. I'm a 16/18 at the mo. Eek!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.