Buying clothes before you have lost weight

Discussion in 'Retail Therapy' started by KG2007, 30 March 2010 Social URL.

1. KG2007

KG2007 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st1.6lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6.9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.1lb(3.83%)
    Diet:
    Low gi diet
    I bought a magazine the other day and it had a booklet for this new website that sold clothes. I looked through it and loved so much but I have stopped myself from buying anything as (hopefully!) they will end up too big for me as I lose weight.

My question is, has anyone bought something in the dress size they want to be as motivation to get down to that size? Is it a waste of money just in case? I found a dress that I love! I know that I wouldn't look good in it at the moment but think that I would once I lose the weight I need to.

I don't know what to do! I'm nearly one size down (I tried on a pair of jeans one size down and they nearly fit me!) but ideally need to get another 3/4 sizes down.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Littleone

Littleone Full Member

Diet:
    No diet, just slimpods :)
    I'm afraid I have no answers for you but I was thinking about doing this too.

4. Style-Queen

Style-Queen Full Member

Diet:
    Healthy eating
    I do this ALL the time! I have lots of clothes in size 12 that are for when I'm 'at target'. I've got about 2 whole wardrobes full of clothes like this. I try to resist buying them, but I tell myself I'll still love them when I'm slim and that I need them, so I cave in and buy!

5. rubyangel

rubyangel skinny jeans-im on my way

Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Diet:
    exante
    ebays always good to buy smaller clothes to have as targets

6. Jesca

Jesca Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st9.5lb
    Current Weight:
    23st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    21st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Yes I do this, I've had to stop myself though as the "clothes that don't fit me" collection is as big as my clothes that do fit me collection!

I did however buy a red and white polka dot bikini in the next sale for £5, it's a size 18, I'm a 30/32 but it's something to aim for!! Most of my don't fit me clothes are no smaller than a 26 or 28 x

7. rubyangel

rubyangel skinny jeans-im on my way

Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Diet:
    exante
    sure we,ll get there one day hun.

8. Toots

Toots Gold Member

Diet:
    Exante
    In the main I don't think it's a good idea - better to buy clothes that make you feel good now. I find that my tastes change and also you still have to consider what suits you when you try something on - it's about shape as well as size ;)

That said - there's always an exception to every rule and there is always something that little bit special with which resistance is futile :D

xxx

Ps I am a complete hyprocite as I too have a skinny wardrobe with the tags still on

9. Miss Mango

Miss Mango Little Miss Wii Fit!

Start Weight:
    14st1lb
    Current Weight:
    12st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st13lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8lb(11.17%)
    Diet:
    My own
    I never know my size anymore due to the shops seemingly making everything so much smaller than they used to be. I have size 12 clothes from about 6-7 years back (which are still fashionable now!) which actually fit me but no way can I get into most 12's out there now, they are tiny.
    I am into a 14 mostly now, but I can get into some 12's (like from Next for example) It just depends which company makes them.

But I have a whole wardrobe FULL of clothes that used to fit me and they are size 10 - I MUST get back into them again as they are gorgeous and also cost me a fortune - although I did buy them when I was that size.

I bought 2 dresses lately which I can get into but the zips don't do all the way up but they were so nice I wanted them anyway. My aim is to get into those comfortably. Also my size 14 jeans which I mention in my sig are Jane Norman skinny jeans and so are pretty small fitting but I can get them up now and do them up (which I couldn't before!) but I have a muffin top in them. Also bought some size 14 shorts which are tight.

And with that, I'll shut up cos I've written an essay and gone totally off topic!! :p

10. gina_b

gina_b Les Mills Fitness Freak

Start Weight:
    10st0lb
    Current Weight:
    8st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(10.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    herbalife
    i do this, i bought alot of pretty size 6's and i want them to fit me! currently an 8/10, but i want tot fit these or have them big on me! i occasionally have to weara childs size 12/13 too,

11. Vixs

Vixs Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st11lb(23.66%)
    Diet:
    JUDDD
    All the time. I have almost a whole wardrobe full of clothes that are a size or couple of sizes down. I am determined to get into them.

12. Louisa78

Louisa78 Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    9st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(36.41%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Yep.

I have a "used to fit me" section of my wardrobe.
    A "bought for when i have lost the weight" section of my wardrobe.
    And a bit that fits me now.

Honestly i think i have about 15 pairs of jeans that i have bought in various Next sales in anticipation of losing weight....

I do actually have a pair of jeans and a top that i have that i am working towards :)

13. kazzymc

kazzymc Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st3lb
    Current Weight:
    16st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13.5lb(10.78%)
    Diet:
    slimfast
    i dont do this basically cause i cant afford to lol, but i would love to get to a size 14 id be pretty happy with that.
    clothes sizing is a joke it varies so widely from company to company

14. Kimmy x

Kimmy x Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(3.9%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I buy clothes that are smaller all the time. It's great when you can fit into them, but it can also really annoy you when they dont lol x

15. gina_b

gina_b Les Mills Fitness Freak

Start Weight:
    10st0lb
    Current Weight:
    8st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(10.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    herbalife
    seen a gorgous dress, i really want it. but i want it in a 6.... it wont fit me yet, its one of them skin tight body con type dresses, but its so pretty. i need it. i want it. i want to be a 6 in it.

16. lorraineA

lorraineA Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st5lb
    Current Weight:
    17st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st9lb(17.06%)
    Diet:
    Slim & Save
    I have a whole range of sizes in my wardrobe but I am really looking forward to giving all my largerst clothes to a charity shop when they are too big.

17. Fattack

Fattack Likes to eat

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    I have a pair of leather style skinny pants that I bought in the asos sale for like 4quid in a size 10 and I do use them as a gauge. I bought them back in 2009 and a colleague made a snarky remark that even *she* couldn't fit in a size 10. They zip up now but are uncomfortable to wear, so they're my clothing goal for the moment :) Generally, I'm very reluctant to buy clothes in advance - buying clothes is a nightmare for me anyway as I'm really short, plus, you don't know where the weight will go from - for example, my sister is very slim, but never loses weight from her hips so would never be smaller than an 8-10 there without making herself poorly.

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Fattack

Fattack Likes to eat

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    I did this last week! But don't make the same mistake I did - make sure you keep one pair of fat pants for when you've hit goal and can see how big a change you've made :D Luckily I did keep one dress that I have my *fat photo* of me in.

20. stephhh

stephhh Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    WW
    I've bought a size 12 dress that I want to get into for my holiday!

21. Antiefeva

Antiefeva Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(8.38%)
    Diet:
    Weightwatchers now Exante.
    I still have a suitcase of my favourite clothes that are too small. I hang onto them for 'when I can fit into them'.

I think I should throw them out though or give them to a charity shop because I think if I do it this time then I deserve a new wardrobe not the old one.

22. CatherineBee

CatherineBee Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    6st8lb(33.33%)
    Diet:
    Weightwatchers Pro Points
    I buy clothes i like in a smaller size as an incentive and it seems to work well. I get such a sense of achievement when the zip finally goes up on a pair of jeans in a smaller size (bonus if you can breathe too)

My current aim is to get in a size 14 bridesmaid dress by Nov 5th. I'm a 16/18 at the mo. Eek!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.