Bye Frankie :(

Tinytootz

Mini crazy cat lady
As some of you may know, I've been looking after a rescue Cockatoo for the past two weeks. Things were good to start with, but he has become too attached to me, and no matter how long I let him out for, as soon as he goes back in he screams, and picks at the hole in his chest which he made, splattering blood everywhere.

It has got to the stage where I had to call Birdline this morning, and they are going to come and get him. I know he will be happier elsewhere, and will hopefully heal up beautifully, and find a mum who can give him everything he wants, but I'm sat crying, feeling so sorry for the chap, like I've failed.

I would have kept him, but his constant screaming and picking at himself is no good for him, and reduces me to tears pretty much every day, which the other half is having to deal with when he gets home.

Feel like a bad mum :wave_cry:

Sorry you feel so bad but you definately did the right thing he will go somewhere were they can help him and sort his problems.

I read your 1st post about him and it sounded horrendous what you were dealing with.

Chin up try to think positive he will get help.:D

He's going at 5:30pm today. At the moment he is repaying my kindness by screaming at me, and picking at his hole. Darn bird. Already had him out, much to the disappointment of the cat.

Please don't feel bad. :hug99:
You tried so hard, but unfortunately it did not work out for you and Frankie. Keep your optimism up that he will find an environment where he can recover from his unhealthy behaviours.

You have no idea what his history is. The poor man might have suffered horribly before he was lucky enough to have you.

I think the self harming in quite common with them.

You must not blame yourself what you have done by ringing Birdline is the best thing for him. They are the experts and will know exactly how to deal with his behavioural problems plus the fact they do it 24/7

You did your best for Frankie, he just didn't play ball with you.

Did you hear anything about the little collie dog ???

Nope, I'm still fighting to get a darn house visit for the Collie :(

Went in on Friday, and they weren't very helpful. Have called the housing lady every day for about 10 days now, and left messages, but still nothing. It feels like I'm fighting a losing battle. So I guess I wait till Friday again, go in, and insist on speaking to the manager, as last time they said I couldn't.

Frankie is being a total pain this afternoon, which in a strange way, makes giving him away easier. He's plucking as I type, so I've taken him out for the last time, whilst crying. I'm such a soft sod! :(

Thanks for your kind words :)

You have done a really kind thing by taking him in.

I must admit I couldnt cope wih that sort of behaviour it would upset me a lot.I really hope he gets the help he needs.

He's gone to a home in Birmingham with a lady who has 6 other cockatoos. I was doing ok, till the little bugger kept saying byebye as I put him in the cage box thing. Swine! :(

But I like the fact he is going to live with friends :D

Grrrr! As if that wasn't bad enough, the guy who gave it to me is now claiming he never did, and wants me to cough up money for Frankie!

Frankie was given to my OH, who works in a pet shop, by the pet shop owner. OH bought a new cage, toys, perch etc from the shop, for Frankie.
When it was decided that Frankie needed more help than I could offer, I was explicitly told not to tell them Frankie had come from the shop, as they would visit the shop, and see the other parrots, one of which plucks. So I signed over Frankie, very few questions were asked so I didn't actually have to actively lie. Now OH boss is saying it wasn't his to give away, and wants £500 for him, as he has a customer who now wants Frankie!

I'm livid! The poor bird was on its last legs when I took him in. I looked after him, cleaned him up, made him a body sock so he didn't pluck, but towards the end, he started plucking his feathers out and aiming for his hole. I have told my OH to point his boss in my direction, and I will deal with him. But he is wanting to 'protect' me from the stress, and if need be, pay the £500. Money is darn tight as it is! He brings in just over £200 a week, but he also has a daughter who lives with his grandparents who he supports.

I am fully prepared to take on his darn boss over this matter, as I believe I have the upper hand, I did nothing wrong. If anything, he should be backing off, as if Birdline discover where Frankie came from, he is in deep doo-doo. I just wish the OH would let me!

I don't remember smashing a mirror, but I must have! Well, at least the water board came and sorted out my back yard, which was full of raw sewerage for...ooooh.....3 darn days!

And to add insult to injury, the cat has had the hamster over night. No body found, but no bloody hamster either!

I wonder when my luck might turn? :(

Sorry I missed this and wasn't there to answer you when you most needed it.

That sounds quite shocking. If OH is not worried about his job I would ring his boss and very politely have a word with him pointing out the facts as you see them. No need for heated words.

Sorry about your hamster. Cats are such inveterate hunters. I don't think they can help themselves.

Did you ever hear from the dogs home ??

hugs xxx

Frankie was given to my OH, who works in a pet shop, by the pet shop owner. OH bought a new cage, toys, perch etc from the shop, for Frankie.
When it was decided that Frankie needed more help than I could offer, I was explicitly told not to tell them Frankie had come from the shop, as they would visit the shop, and see the other parrots, one of which plucks. So I signed over Frankie, very few questions were asked so I didn't actually have to actively lie. Now OH boss is saying it wasn't his to give away, and wants £500 for him, as he has a customer who now wants Frankie!.......

That is a ****'s trick. Is the pet shop one that is individually owned or is it part of a chain? Any chance your OH could find another job? I know fine well how hard times are, but I would find it too challenging to work for such a soandso. And then you would have the pleasure to tell him where he can stick his outrageous claim for £500. In fact, you should go and seek legal advice re compensation for your bother, inconvenience and psychological stress.
Sorry for (almost) swearing, but people like your OH's boss have got that effect on me.

Thankfully, the money thing has not come to anything. His boss said he wished we had of told him Frankie was going, but he hasn't asked for money, thankfully. His place of work seems a bit like being back at bloody school! The boss tells his workmate something, who promptly gets on the phone to my OH, tells him, who then starts to panic, and I get the brunt of the bad mood! There was no way he was getting money out of me anyway!

Hamster was alive, in a cupboard. My cat is so useless! The hamster managed to get out of the room he was in, go down the corridor, and get into a cupboard without the cat even knowing.....he truly is a useless feline :)

And no, still nothing from the dogs home. I managed to get through to her last week, upon which she asked me the same questions over again, but this time when I told her I rented, she said she doesn't rehome her dogs to people who rent, as they have a tendency to move! I pointed out that its my parents house, so she backed down. I sure do hope I don't ever meet this woman, she sounds like a total waste of space!

Hamster was alive, in a cupboard. My cat is so useless! The hamster managed to get out of the room he was in, go down the corridor, and get into a cupboard without the cat even knowing.....he truly is a useless feline :)

And no, still nothing from the dogs home. I managed to get through to her last week, upon which she asked me the same questions over again, but this time when I told her I rented, she said she doesn't rehome her dogs to people who rent, as they have a tendency to move! I pointed out that its my parents house, so she backed down. I sure do hope I don't ever meet this woman, she sounds like a total waste of space!

You think your cat is bad. I have 3 ginger boys who live in the kitchen, they go out hunting ( or something) but allow the mice to live in peace in our kitchen cupboards.........idle,work shy bunch that they are. But I love them dearly.

I have humane traps for the mice, I drive them down the lane and release them there. Recently my husband told me one had got home before me lol !!

This woman sounds horrendous. I realise they have to protect the animal and that the animal comes first, second and last when they are considering adoptive homes, but surely this is a step to far. As much as you were taken by the collie I think it is time to look elsewhere but make sure if there is a higher authority they know why.

hugs xxx

Aye, I have been looking elsewhere. There is another rescue centre near me, but I don't agree with their pricing policy! If the dog is a cross breed, then they want around £70 for it, but if its a pedigree, they want £200 upwards! Bearing in mind none of the dogs have KC paperwork, and you are strongly advised not to breed them, I don't see why or how they can ask for more money just because of the breed! Granted, if the dog had required extra care and attention, fair enough. But they are the exact same as the rest, and cared for in the same manner. Perhaps that's just me over thinking things, though!

I find that hard to stomach !!! Surely it is down to an individual donation from the new owners.

If only you could adopt one from here. There are droves of doggies waiting for adoption.

Look at www.deniadogs.de . We know the lady who runs it in our area and they re-home dogs to Germany, Holland, France etc.

Also try and www.rescue-dogs.co.uk

Good luck in your search for the perfect pooch. I think a home with you would be paradise for the right dog.

Aye, the search continues. But I agree, it should be a donation, not a fixed price! There was a beautiful Chow up for adoption, but it was £200!

Back