C25K beginners - struggle with W1D1

You CAN do it!! It starts off nice & slow and if you feel you're not ready to move to the next week, there's no shame in repeating until you feel ready. I've just done week 3 again and am on week 4 for the second time. Although I still can't see me running for 30 minutes in a few weeks time, but who knows.... :)

If you search on iTunes 'couch to 5k' a few options should come up. Alternatively if you have an iPhone or itouch you can get an app...go to app store & try the same search. I have an iPhone & got the app 'get running' which is great. Good luck :D

I agree, you can do it.

I won't lie- when I first started it, I didn't feel good! With just a few jogs of sixty seconds I was gasping for breath, felt sick and had pains in the oddest of places (left boob???!). I sat on a park bench for a long time, trying to feel vaguely normal. I was nowhere near completing the first day, and thought I'd need at least a week to be able to.

Two days later I went back out and did the first day in full.

So even if you find the first day tough, or have to work up to being able to complete it, don't let that put you off. The improvement in fitness is obvious in every session you do, and for me that's been enough to keep me coming back for more.

Welcome!

just_angie said:
I am considering the ridiculous idea of me doing this. Does it really only take 9 weeks? I am really unfit and feel like I could probably only run for 10 seconds! Haha, I might dig out my trainers and have a go tomorrow. Where do you download the podcast?

When I first started even 1 minute of jogging seemed a ridiculous idea, and doing it 6 times? Ha!! But now I'm up to 2x8 minute runs and the next one out is 2x10 minutes. Eek! But I can do it, so can you, honest! Just try, you've got nothing to lose (except more wright, right?)

Well done everyone-you're all doing so well :) xx
I've not been too great with my running lately-had a lot on my mind-and have fallen off the SW wagon a bit too! I tried to go running a few times with a friend-he knew I ran slowly but just runs off ahead and I can't keep up! Have decided I'm going to 'start' the program again, and aim to do it all at a faster pace-therefore building up my speed-but maybe still doing a longer slower run once a week! I know that as soon as I start running and eating properly again I will be fine-it's just that initial jump back that I'm struggling with! x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Good luck with it welsh tigger, like you say it's getting back on the wagon that's the hardest thing.

I've just completed week 4 and am pleased with my progress. I found it easier than last time & I'm a little quicker too. Bring on week 5 :)

Do you definitely need the podcast? I just remembered that my iPhone is broken so I wouldn't be able to listen to the podcast....can you do it just going by the times?

You can but it's easier to have the podcast/app. Do you have another ipod? Otherwise week 1 is 3 'runs' which are all the same:
5 min warm up walk
1 min run followed by 1.5 min walk
Do this 8 times in total, after the 8th run do a cool down walk for 5 mins.
That should be 28.5 mins in total....best of luck.

If you do manage to get the app I like Get Running or for a podcast try the NHS one.

Week 2 completed !!
Bit disheartened as I'm not finding it any easier yet. I particularly struggled tonight, although I did manage it to do it all :-(
Going to try to do it on a flatter area from next week on.......
Well done everyone :)

You did it all! Nothing to be disheartened about!

I think a flatter area will really make a difference. I definitely feel it more with even a slight slope! Down slopes are awkward too, I find; ruin my pacing.

If you're struggling, you can repeat a stage or do what I did and "fill in the gaps". In the NHS podcast (dunno about others) the runs go from 90secs straight to 3minutes, so I made up a day inbetween where I did a couple of 2 minute runs to "bridge the gap".

Good luck.

Just completed week 3! I even kept on going after the last 3 minutes was up. And it's my TOTM! Feeling really confident now.

I guess I'm not a beginner anymore. Is there a "C25k in-the-middle strugglers" thread?!

boggins said:
Just completed week 3! I even kept on going after the last 3 minutes was up. And it's my TOTM! Feeling really confident now.

I guess I'm not a beginner anymore. Is there a "C25k in-the-middle strugglers" thread?!

Well done Boggins :)
Thanks for good advice, definitely gonna try some flatter terrain next week x

I did my first all flat (ish) terrain on Friday & it made things SO much easier!! It was a bit monotonous as I just ran round the same big field a few times, but it definitely made things more manageable!!

My sister in law has convinced me to sign up to a 10km run at the end of November....I should be doing 5km by 5th September, so it gives me another 6-7 weeks after that. Hope it's doable!!!!

slimjim79 said:
I did my first all flat (ish) terrain on Friday & it made things SO much easier!! It was a bit monotonous as I just ran round the same big field a few times, but it definitely made things more manageable!!

My sister in law has convinced me to sign up to a 10km run at the end of November....I should be doing 5km by 5th September, so it gives me another 6-7 weeks after that. Hope it's doable!!!!

Definately do-able. I have physically completed a 10k, altho I did it very slowly-in about 85mins. So you can defo do it. There is a B210k app which is a 6 week bridge from finishing the C25k app to fojng 10k. Good luck :)

I'm starting again tomorrow morning! But I mean totally starting right back to the beginning! I feel, as I said previosly that I need to increase my speed so gonna go back to wk1 d1 and do the interval runs faster! Will try and report back regularly x

I've thought about doing that too, WT. I think I might try adding a minute's faster jogging onto the end of a C25k session. Going back to the beginning I think I'd find too disheartening. Please do let us know how it goes, it might be something I'll try too.

What happened to NeedMotivation?! We were at the same stage of the plan so I was looking forward to an update!

Hmmm...I've just very roughly worked out my speed. I am doing under 5mph, somewhere between 4.6 and 4.8mph. I'll use a pedometer next time to make it more accurate.

Admittedly that's on the first day of doing a 5 minute jog, so perhaps I was slower than I normally would be, but still, that's pretty slow.

Conflicted now as to whether to start over and do it faster, or plod on at a slower speed. Any thoughts?

Hmmm...I've just very roughly worked out my speed. I am doing under 5mph, somewhere between 4.6 and 4.8mph. I'll use a pedometer next time to make it more accurate.

Admittedly that's on the first day of doing a 5 minute jog, so perhaps I was slower than I normally would be, but still, that's pretty slow.

Conflicted now as to whether to start over and do it faster, or plod on at a slower speed. Any thoughts?

Hi Boggins

I'm new to this as you know, but I would suggest carrying on with it, you can always work through at a slower pace and then try it again or step up to the 10k and see if you can acheive faster times. Certainly for me I can speed walk faster than I can jog sometimes (if that makes sense) but jogging is a whole different thing and it has a totally different effect on your body.
Keep up the good work, whatever you decide. You are doing really well ;)

I have just restarted and completed Week 1 yesterday, I have to say I found it much easier than the first time I started when I couldnt even finish W1D1

Welshtigger said:
I'm starting again tomorrow morning! But I mean totally starting right back to the beginning! I feel, as I said previosly that I need to increase my speed so gonna go back to wk1 d1 and do the interval runs faster! Will try and report back regularly x

Have just got back from starting all over again!
Week 1 D 1 completed a lot faster :) actually really enjoyed it x

Back