C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

I seem to have reached a bit of a brick wall as far as running for the whole 30 minutes goes... I can do quite long distances now compared to what I was doing but I have to slow down and walk for a few minutes at least every 8-10 minutes. I can only run the whole 30 mins continuously if I go at a snail's pace. I guess it's just all practise!

I seem to have reached a bit of a brick wall as far as running for the whole 30 minutes goes... I can do quite long distances now compared to what I was doing but I have to slow down and walk for a few minutes at least every 8-10 minutes. I can only run the whole 30 mins continuously if I go at a snail's pace. I guess it's just all practise!

Are you using a podcast? If so, you will know to already know to slow down if you are struggling to keep going. It's the only way I can get through these runs and I aim to build on the speed when I get comfortable (if ever!) running non-stop for 25-30 mins at a time. If you aren't using the podcasts, it might be worth using them again just so you can hear words of encouragement. I hope you get your mojo back!

Hi Law Ram Don't be embarrassed. I tried to get running about a year ago and started off in my local gym's "cardio room" where it was dark and the music is so loud no-one could hear my gasping! I couldn't even run for 30 seconds then. I got fed up feeling like a mole in a dark hole and dared to run in the mainstream gym and I quickly realised no-one was taking the blindest bit of notice of me. I wasn't really advancing much on the treadmill and I stopped for a couple of months. About a month ago, I decided to start again on the roads (which I think is 10 times harder) and like you, I decided to brave the great outdoors. I can honestly say, no-one takes any notice of yet another runner struggling along the road (me that is). It really builds up your confidence facing people. When I started, I felt embarrassed too, not least because I have a very large chest! I would stop running when I saw another pedestrian heading my way. I now keep running, even if it kills me and smile and say hello as I pass. Cars pass you by in such a flash that they will hardly even register you being there. People will admire you for getting out there, just arm yourself with a good sports bra! (assuming you are a girl that is!) Keep at it and good luck.

I've been lurking and saw this and just wanted to say thank you, it made me feel better even though it was written to someone else.

I'm starting the app tomorrow morning and I'm kinda nervous.

I've been lurking and saw this and just wanted to say thank you, it made me feel better even though it was written to someone else.

I'm starting the app tomorrow morning and I'm kinda nervous.

Go for it Elm, you won't regret it. I am due to start week 8 this week but I have had flu or something and I crashed and burned on my last run so have given it a rest for a few days. Let me know how you get on!

Hi everyone! Just here to update, I'm onto week four now. So far I'm loving it. I did day one of week four last night and can't believe I can actually run for solid 5 minute chunks!! I've never been able to do that.

Day 1 competed!!!

Maria I hope you feel better today!

just subscribing!

Im on week 5, don't actually have the podcasts just the weekly running plans to follow so would love to pick up some hints and tips!

Day 2 completed. How is everyone else doing?

Copying from my diary...

Completed week 1.

Today was not an easy run. I had to keep telling myself to pick up my feet and keep going. My shins do not hurt but the muscle right next to it does. I start week 2 next Tuesday but in the evening since I start a new job. I know that break will help but I'm also worried that even though it's 2 days, it'll be much harder to run. It's going to be 90 minutes jogging and 2 minutes walking. I'm worried I won't be able to do it and will repeat week 1.

Copying from my diary...

Completed week 1.

Today was not an easy run. I had to keep telling myself to pick up my feet and keep going. My shins do not hurt but the muscle right next to it does. I start week 2 next Tuesday but in the evening since I start a new job. I know that break will help but I'm also worried that even though it's 2 days, it'll be much harder to run. It's going to be 90 minutes jogging and 2 minutes walking. I'm worried I won't be able to do it and will repeat week 1.

Elm, I have felt like you do every single week but it does get easier. I had sickening pain in my calf muscles to start with but I realised I had to keep going and I don't suffer with it anymore. I am not a natural runner and it has been very hard for me from the start but it feels like it is getting easier. The best tip I can give you is don't think too far ahead, don't even play the next week's program and do try to stick to the program. Even if you think you are not ready for the next week when it crops up, have a go anyway because you will really surprise yourself. Your fitness and stamina will improve week on week and you will won't realise it until the next session.

Please also remember that you will occasionally have bad runs. I had my first one just over a week ago and I had to stop after 10 minutes. I didn't realise it at the time but I was coming down with a cold.

Give it a go and stick to the podcasts - that's how I have done it so far and I am now running for a constant 25 minutes, regardless of the fact that I could walk quicker than I can run I am very pleased with my progress and you will be too.

Good luck!

Copying from my diary...

Completed week 1... It's going to be 90 minutes jogging and 2 minutes walking.

Bit harsh for a first week ;)

Well done everyone for getting into this - if it feels hard then I guess we're doing it right! I have to fib to myself to get myself out of the door most days: "Come on, I won't make you do the whole thing, just do the 5 minute warm up, at least you'll have got yourself off the sofa and out of the house"... by the time I'm out and walking I usually feel more like doing the half hour :)

I've finally broken the barrier of being able to keep running (very slowly!) for the whole half hour instead of having to keep walking - hooray! Now I just need to get my speed up a bit! I'm so grateful to my daughter for introducing me to the C25K, these last 9 weeks have quite possibly saved my life.

I'm starting this tomorrow! So excited to be fitter! I've just started seeing a new guy and he's running a half marathon tomorrow, if that isn't motivation I don't know what is! Maybe I'll be able to join him next year! Hoping it will speed my weight loss up too!

Elm, I have felt like you do every single week but it does get easier. I had sickening pain in my calf muscles to start with but I realised I had to keep going and I don't suffer with it anymore. I am not a natural runner and it has been very hard for me from the start but it feels like it is getting easier. The best tip I can give you is don't think too far ahead, don't even play the next week's program and do try to stick to the program. Even if you think you are not ready for the next week when it crops up, have a go anyway because you will really surprise yourself. Your fitness and stamina will improve week on week and you will won't realise it until the next session. Please also remember that you will occasionally have bad runs. I had my first one just over a week ago and I had to stop after 10 minutes. I didn't realise it at the time but I was coming down with a cold. Give it a go and stick to the podcasts - that's how I have done it so far and I am now running for a constant 25 minutes, regardless of the fact that I could walk quicker than I can run I am very pleased with my progress and you will be too. Good luck!

Thank you thank you thank you! You're really good at making me feel better hahaha!

Bit harsh for a first week ;) Well done everyone for getting into this - if it feels hard then I guess we're doing it right! I have to fib to myself to get myself out of the door most days: "Come on, I won't make you do the whole thing, just do the 5 minute warm up, at least you'll have got yourself off the sofa and out of the house"... by the time I'm out and walking I usually feel more like doing the half hour :) I've finally broken the barrier of being able to keep running (very slowly!) for the whole half hour instead of having to keep walking - hooray! Now I just need to get my speed up a bit! I'm so grateful to my daughter for introducing me to the C25K, these last 9 weeks have quite possibly saved my life.

I'm glad that it is working so well for you.

I have no problem getting out the door, it's just during running I have to talk myself into picking my feet up haha

I'm starting this tomorrow! So excited to be fitter! I've just started seeing a new guy and he's running a half marathon tomorrow, if that isn't motivation I don't know what is! Maybe I'll be able to join him next year! Hoping it will speed my weight loss up too!

Motivation indeed - no pressure there then!!
Good luck.

Thank you thank you thank you! You're really good at making me feel better hahaha!

You're welcome Elm - and everything I said is absolutely true.

I won't say which week I am on because I don't want to put anyone off!

I did my last 25 minute run on Saturday, after recovering from a heavy cold and a hangover. I found it really hard going and I thought about re-doing that week but I thought "No, just have a go at the next week's session". Needless to say, I was dreading today's run, which I knew was 28 minutes non-stop. Well I got out there and do you know what? I thought it was easier than Saturday's run and a lot of it was because my breathing was much improved.

I have no idea what is in store for me in my next run because I quickly turned the podcast off before I could hear what it was all about. I am too scared to hear the preview.

Good luck everyone and remember it has been hard for all of us but if you can get through the first three weeks, you are on to a winner. Keep it up!

Great job! I can't wait to get where you are!!!!

I completes week 2 day 1. I won't say anything else because it's too negative haha.

Back