C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Going to start C25K again, just bought myself some new running shoes so hopefully won't kill my feet like my old trainers!

Yaaaay coopsyy! Looking forward to hearing how it's going.

Just had to share...

I did parkrun on Saturday, my third one. My first in July was 40 mins, my second about a month later was 37:47. Long injury lay-off until the New Year and then have been steadily getting back into it since then.

My target for this week was 35 minutes, my official time was 32:11. Chuffed isn't the word! That 30 minute 5k feels within my grasp! :gimi:

Well done Macca! No wonder you're so chuffed! x

Started back again life got in the way but I do love it only ever got to week 3 before. Started back on week 2 but I can run that well. Not going to try and move on too fast as I find running pretty hard on my knees due to the weight I am at.

Thanks Maria!

Joanne, welcome back, hope you manage to get a bit further this time! I empathise with the knee thing, mine gave me a lot of grief as well. If you run outdoors, can you vary the surface, maybe run on the grass in a park now and then so that you have a bit more cushioning? Otherwise, the dreadmill also gives better preotection, I did most of the programme on one and moved outdoors near the end. Hopefully your body will start to adjust as you get further into the programme. Good luck!

Going to read through this whole thread tonight fe motivation!!!

I have tried and failed to do c25k about 4 times now. I just get so discouraged.

I do live next to a field I did try running on grass once but did not like it. At the moment I am trying to stay close to home as I run on my own when it's dark at night not ready for the open areas yet. Also the are I live has lots of hills so not the best place to start trying to run. I find running up hills very hard on my knees

I have just started c25k today, I am shocked at how unfit I am! I am worried its too hard for me, but feeling motivated. wish me luck :)

Oooooooh, another C25Ker! How fabulous!

The beauty of C25K is that it's not too hard for ANYONE! It is designed (and proven) to get people who can do/do do absolutely nothing into running. The only reason to fail is if you *think* it's too hard ;)

Good luck, so excited to hear how brilliant you feel once you get started!

Well after 2 months off the plan following a holiday and moving home, I started week three again today on the treadmill but I've cut the speed right down so it's a gentle jog, not a run! Felt ok, hard but not horrific so will be pushing on to week 4 early next week.

Yay welcome back Jody! That's the thing about Laura, she never complains if you ditch her for a while. Always there with a cheery voice and cheesy music to welcome you back into the fold!

Hi ive just completed week 1 yay! :) feeling proud but worried I wont be able to manage wk2!
Also I wanted to ask.... When I do the jogging my calfs hurt as does my hip, is that normal or am I riusking doing damage? (I think its down to the impact of my weight!)

Hi ive just completed week 1 yay! :) feeling proud but worried I wont be able to manage wk2!
Also I wanted to ask.... When I do the jogging my calfs hurt as does my hip, is that normal or am I riusking doing damage? (I think its down to the impact of my weight!)

Hi Donna.

First of all, well done for getting through Week 1. I remember starting and thinking I will NEVER be able to run for 3 minutes non-stop but follow the plan, don't do any more than what the plan asks of you and it will get you there. It has been well thought out and the common mistake is to do that little bit more and that's what can cause injury.

When I started, I had excruciating pain in my calf - it was so bad I felt sick with it. I read loads of forums and could not find much help.
In the end, I started working on building up my calf muscles by walking on an incline and I made sure I stretched my calf after each session, regardless of whether it was week 1 or week 9. Both helped. Have you checked whether your trainers are adequate? You could also need more supportive trainers.

As for the hip, that could be a number of things. I would say run through it for a couple more sessions because it could just be your body "grumbling" because you are doing something you are not used to. You should also do exercises to strengthen the muscles affecting the hip (do a google search, there are loads to be found). If it does not ease off after a couple of weeks, go and get it looked at because it could be many things.

I injured my own hip on the week after I graduated the C25K and it became so painful I had to rest it. I then restarted C25K at week 5 and did all of the afore-mentioned stretches and have managed to graduate again so don't worry about having to rest it if it comes to that. Sometimes you have to take a step backward to go forward!

Finally, I would heartily recommend sticking to the 3 days a week if you can. I made the mistake of just running at the weekends because of the dark nights and I think this stopped me from properly building up the supporting muscles. I now run at least twice a week and try to do 3, time permitting.

I hope this helps - good luck with week 2.

Well done everyone your all doing amazing! I started c25k part way through my 13.5 stone weight loss journey at a size 18. Each new week and increase terrified me as I struggled with week one but it is doable and I now still run 3 x a week anywhere from 6 to 10 miles as I am training for my first half marathon so hope it inspires you to stick with it. I must admit I completely recommend getting fitted for trainers at a running store and buying a foam roller (£10 ish) to help avoid pain and injuries and please take your rest days! Any questions please ask x

Last night I did workout 1 of week 4, so my first 5 minute session! I also got my sparkly new trainers yesterday after being properly assessed and fitted at a running shop.

My calves are getting tight so I'll be focussing on stretching more and getting a foam roller too. I was pleased I managed the session, especially as it is quite a bit more than week 3 but I was worrying about how much further I have to go when Laura said that this is the first week where you run more than you walk.....that made me feel quite good!

Last night I did workout 1 of week 4, so my first 5 minute session! I also got my sparkly new trainers yesterday after being properly assessed and fitted at a running shop.

My calves are getting tight so I'll be focussing on stretching more and getting a foam roller too. I was pleased I managed the session, especially as it is quite a bit more than week 3 but I was worrying about how much further I have to go when Laura said that this is the first week where you run more than you walk.....that made me feel quite good!

Great stuff, well done! You do get a buzz from getting through it, even if (as I did) you feel like @**% during the actual run!

W4D2 done last night, had the gym to myself!

Not sure if just weird but I find the second 5 minute run easier than the first, I feel like my body has sorted the niggles in my legs and I just feel more comfortable, even at the end I think I could have done a bit more.

Not sure if final will be Sunday or Monday but am excited/nervous about next week!!

I am in my 3rd week. Just did day 1 today.

Thinks it's time to pop in here each week to get some motivation. Never got this far before:)

Keep going! I'm always amazed at how quickly my fitness has increased :)

I've deviated this week.....

After my bodypump class on Wednesday I felt up for a run then realised I hadn't downloaded week 5! So I just did the 5 minute warm up and ran for as long as I felt comfortable, which ended up as 12 minutes straight through, which I was really pleased with.

Then, on Sunday I was aiming for 15 minutes but don't watch the timer, so I thought five songs would be roughly about right, it ended up being 17 minutes! I'm aiming for 20 on my next session, which was the final run for week 5 anyway!

Back