C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Hi everyone new to this part of the site. I've just started doing the C25K :) and have to say I'm loving it which I never thought I'd hear myself say.

x x x

Hello Tru :D

Great to see you here! Glad you're enjoying the running. It's a fab programme, really can't recommend it enough......soooo very good for your head!

Dx

Well I don't really ache today.....and miraclously my little jog round the footie pitch yesterday seems to have eased my sciatic back pain by about 90%! (typical really as I have a physio appt about it today!)

How important are the 'rest' days in between? I feel ok today so would it be ok to do workout out 2 this afternoon?

Thats brilliant about your back!

Not sure about rest days. Hopefully someone else will know :)

Well I don't really ache today.....and miraclously my little jog round the footie pitch yesterday seems to have eased my sciatic back pain by about 90%! (typical really as I have a physio appt about it today!)

How important are the 'rest' days in between? I feel ok today so would it be ok to do workout out 2 this afternoon?

I know it's very tempting but I really wouldn't. As I understand it, your body needs the rest day. Having said that though, I never tried running on my rest day so I can't offer any evidence of what happens if you don't have a rest!

Pleased to hear that your back has improved - though I'm not surprised; I have had no problems with my sciatica since I started running. I'm also now off my blood pressure medication completely (I'd been on 2 tablets a day for 5 years) and haven't needed my blue asthma inhaler for 3 months! :D

Dx

Denise140 said:
I know it's very tempting but I really wouldn't. As I understand it, your body needs the rest day. Having said that though, I never tried running on my rest day so I can't offer any evidence of what happens if you don't have a rest!

Pleased to hear that your back has improved - though I'm not surprised; I have had no problems with my sciatica since I started running. I'm also now off my blood pressure medication completely (I'd been on 2 tablets a day for 5 years) and haven't needed my blue asthma inhaler for 3 months! :D

Dx
Amazing! Didn't realise it would be that much of a benefit!

Amazing! Didn't realise it would be that much of a benefit!

Can't tell you how much my life has changed.....for the better!
Obviously the weight loss and improved fitness go hand in hand but my GP reckons that if I'd lost the weight without starting to exercise, my BP would still be an issue!

Woohoo! Week 1 done! :D

I enjoyed this evening most so far. The iphone app I was using had been driving me mad coz I couldn't really hear the alerts while my music was playing. I downloaded these podcasts & I have to say the week 1 one was very good. - Running Into Shape

Looking forward to starting week 2 on Sunday!

Well done!

I just done week 4 day 3! Day 1 and 2 kicked my butt. Today i kicked its butt! Excited for week 5!

Woohoo! Week 1 done! :D

I enjoyed this evening most so far. The iphone app I was using had been driving me mad coz I couldn't really hear the alerts while my music was playing. I downloaded these podcasts & I have to say the week 1 one was very good. - Running Into Shape

Looking forward to starting week 2 on Sunday!

I had exactly the same problem...the NHS podcasts are excellent.
Great to hear that you're enjoying your running - keep it up girl!

Dx

Well done!

I just done week 4 day 3! Day 1 and 2 kicked my butt. Today i kicked its butt! Excited for week 5!

Yay Bostik! You're over the "hump" now ! Butt kicking all the way to graduation now ! :D

Well done and good luck to everyone in the early tages of this programme.... Its amazing.... believe in their methods and believe in yourself!!!

Its amazing!!! x

I have stuck to the rest days. Even if there is not a medical reason why, I would advise not to run on rest days. I feel that although it is really tempting to push yourself, the reason why we can tend to struggle with sticking to healthy eating or exercise programme is because we try and do too much at once and are too hard on ourselves. Pace yourself and you are more likely to stick with it.

Just my opinion. If you're not an all or nothing person like me then this may not be an issue for you.:)

Done week 4 d1 just now. Had the fear, didn't want to do it, thought I would not be able to complete it....BUT I DID IT ANYWAY! I am so proud of myself!

Done week 4 d1 just now. Had the fear, didn't want to do it, thought I would not be able to complete it....BUT I DID IT ANYWAY! I am so proud of myself!

Fan-TAS-tic! Well done you! You should be very, very proud of yourself!

Dx

Pearlsgirl said:
Brilliant! :D

I have stuck to the rest days. Even if there is not a medical reason why, I would advise not to run on rest days. I feel that although it is really tempting to push yourself, the reason why we can tend to struggle with sticking to healthy eating or exercise programme is because we try and do too much at once and are too hard on ourselves. Pace yourself and you are more likely to stick with it.

Just my opinion. If you're not an all or nothing person like me then this may not be an issue for you.:)

I did end up sticking to it as I began to ache yesterday anyway (but after going to see the physio).

We did day 2 of week 1 this morning.....before my 7am shift!

Actually got up when the alarm went off at 5am and headed out...and felt good for it!

I did end up sticking to it as I began to ache yesterday anyway (but after going to see the physio).

We did day 2 of week 1 this morning.....before my 7am shift!

Actually got up when the alarm went off at 5am and headed out...and felt good for it!

Well done you!

Xx

Pearlsgirl said:

Well done! I'm sure you'll be at week 9 before you know it!

I'm starting tomorrow!! Is it ok to do other exercise on rest days such as body combat/zumba? I do those more for fun than anything and i'd hate to have to give them up!?

Good luck :D I do strength training in between some days too and it's been alright for me :)

Back