C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Brilliant! Got my 20 min run tonight :)

Hi all! Due to do W2D3 tomorrow, just wanted to check what everyone else does on off days? At the moment I'm doing zilch but would really like some suggestions...?

A

xxx

10st10lbs said:
Hi all! Due to do W2D3 tomorrow, just wanted to check what everyone else does on off days? At the moment I'm doing zilch but would really like some suggestions...?

A

xxx

Some off days I do nothing & then sometimes I do a weight loss Pilates DVD.

I did day 1 week 3 tonight. The first 3 min run was fine but the second one nearly killed me!! I nearly quit but I managed to finish it. Don't know how I'm ever going to run for 8 mins or 20 mins like you girls!

I'm going to have to do it though. I've agreed with my sister to do a 5k race on the last sat in Feb! I might be mad but sure I can always walk some of it if I really need to.

I find breathing the most difficult part of running. Do any of you find this? Have any of you mastered it?

slimming sinead said:

I did day 1 week 3 tonight. The first 3 min run was fine but the second one nearly killed me!! I nearly quit but I managed to finish it. Don't know how I'm ever going to run for 8 mins or 20 mins like you girls!

I'm going to have to do it though. I've agreed with my sister to do a 5k race on the last sat in Feb! I might be mad but sure I can always walk some of it if I really need to.

I find breathing the most difficult part of running. Do any of you find this? Have any of you mastered it?

Hi hun :)

I've actually been ok with the breathing, which surprised me as I am asthmatic and couldn't do a 100m "run" (I use the quotation marks as I'm sure it was more of a feeble attempt at a jog than a run!) at high school... Lovely podcast lady did say something about breathing in for four steps and then out for four? But I found it difficult to match my breathing with my steps so I just carried on with whatever I was doing before that. I don't know if this would help you, but when I feel like I'm getting out of breath, I just take a couple of big sips of water, seems to calm me right down!

A

xxx

You will get there! And congrats on the 5K race plan - you will def be able to fo it!

I was finding the breathing hard at first. Seems less of an issue now which I think is because my fitness is improving. I too struggled to follow her instructions to breathe in for 4 steps and out for 4, just did my own thing and seemed to work eventually.

Running question! Running leave my calfs soooo tight! Painfully tight!
I stretch and stretch and again

I warm up and cool down!

Why are they so tight after running?

Sorry can't help cos dunno bout that. Hopefully someone else will know.

I just done week 5 day 3!! Ran for 20 minutes! Was pretty alright! Im actually dreading going back to walking in between runs next time. Think i prefer just going straight through.

Bostik said:
I just done week 5 day 3!! Ran for 20 minutes! Was pretty alright! Im actually dreading going back to walking in between runs next time. Think i prefer just going straight through.

Well done Bostik! That's brilliant.

Thanks 10st & Pearlsgirl. I probably need to concentrate on my breathing more when I'm running.

Running question! Running leave my calfs soooo tight! Painfully tight!
I stretch and stretch and again

I warm up and cool down!

Why are they so tight after running?

Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) describes a phenomenon of muscle pain, muscle soreness or muscle stiffness that occurs in the day or two after exercise. This muscle soreness is most frequently felt when you begin a new exercise program, change your exercise routine, or dramatically increase the duration or intensity of your exercise routine.
Although it can be alarming for new exercisers, delayed onset muscle soreness is a normal response and shows that your muscles are getting stronger which is a good thing as they will burn more fat:D

The most effective way for me to get rid of this is to go for a brisk walk or swim to help reduce the pain as this will increase blood flow to speed recovery, stretching may help as well however stretching will not stop this from happening this only helps prevent injury.

hope this helps.

Ok .....gonna sound a bit like a broken record here but girls..

DON'T RUN TOO FAST!

Keep your breathing steady, in through the nose and out through the mouth....I found I only needed to do that rigorously for a few cycles and it steadied me. If you're too breathless to hold a conversation then you're going too fast.

Tight calves? Are you running 'on your toes'? I used to try to land on the ball of my foot and found I got aching calves....then the NHS podcast advised that I should be landing lightly on my heels! DUH! Much easier!

Hope this doesn't sound smug.... Just wanted to share cos I have sooooo been there!

Good luck everyone

I tried last night to have a go with week 1 day 1. My boyfriend agreed to do it with me so I thought I'd leave the podcast at home so we could chat while running. My mistake! For some reason I thought it was 5 min fast walk for warming up, and then run 2 walk 3 mins and repeat! Wasn't until I got home and had another listen I realised how wrong I was. Probably why I didn't finish. So I am going to try again tonight or Thursday and actually listen this time!

Denise140 said:
Tight calves? Are you running 'on your toes'? I used to try to land on the ball of my foot and found I got aching calves....then the NHS podcast advised that I should be landing lightly on my heels! DUH! Much easier!

Hope this doesn't sound smug.... Just wanted to share cos I have sooooo been there!

Good luck everyone
Cheers for advice! I will think about that next time I run!

What do you guys think about days off (rest days)

I have worked out for at least 45mins every day this month! Some days almost 2 hours! It feels like some things are becoming harder instead of easier!

It Feels like If I stop then I'll gain weight, even tho I'm doing weight watchers.

I definitely think you should rest at least a day. Give your muscles a chance to recover!

Cheers for advice! I will think about that next time I run!

What do you guys think about days off (rest days)

I have worked out for at least 45mins every day this month! Some days almost 2 hours! It feels like some things are becoming harder instead of easier!

It Feels like If I stop then I'll gain weight, even tho I'm doing weight watchers.

I agree with Bostik, you NEED your rest days!

I did week 1 day 1 at the gym today on the treadmill, but had to stop after about 3 runs because the pain in my calves was awful. I wasn't pushing myself too hard, I was doing a jog really. I tried landing on my heels which seems unnatural but that didn't help either :( any suggestions?

PinkToaster said:
I did week 1 day 1 at the gym today on the treadmill, but had to stop after about 3 runs because the pain in my calves was awful. I wasn't pushing myself too hard, I was doing a jog really. I tried landing on my heels which seems unnatural but that didn't help either :( any suggestions?

Did you do a warm up before going in gym?
Do you have correctly firing running trainers, they really do make a difference!

Rest days are needed for your body to recover properly.... Mayb alternate cardio with a few weights!!! Or cardio and a class.... yoga or something!! x

Back