C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Hi guys just reading over your last few messages.

Bostik - you should enjoy running. You are over thinking it. I think we've all been there. It shouldn't be a chore but we do all get off days. Unfortunately that off day will turn into a lot more if you start with a more negative attitude. At the start of your run tell yourself that you can do it and you will do it. If things start getting difficult remind yourself of why you're doing it, and what you have already achieved. Run through the barrier and come out the other side with a smile on your face.

Someone suggested running outdoors instead of on the treadmill.......that's not such a bad idea.

Everyone's doing sooooo well. Celebrate all your goals no matter how small they seem! I will also admit I'm jealous of you all out there running............I've been ill for almost a week now and not made it for a run. Missing it but know there isn't a chance I'd manage one..........only just got the energy to move my backside from bed to the sofa!!xx

Happened again. But this time I made sure I ran 10 mins before I stopped. Think I am just bored of running! Cos it's not that I can't do it cos I've done a 20 minute run before. I just sorta find it a long period of time if you get me? Just running and listening to my music or whatever. Done the 5 minute walk, ran 10 minutes, 5 minute cool down walk and then got on the stepper and bike for a bit. Gonna keep trying though. And do at least 10 minutes each time. Hopefully, I'll get back into it just by keeping on having a go :)

I agree with Sinead, I have to say that I can understand the boredom thing with the treadmill. I've always run outside; just tried a treadmill once on a free gym taster session and 5 mins (which to be fair was all I could manage at that time) seemed much longer than it does outside - even watching Pointless on the treadmill TV ;)

Don't give up sweetie - I'm sure it's a boredom thing rather than physical ability. Have you tried listening to the NHS podcasts rather than just timing? I found Laura kept me focussed.

Dx

Had another go today as my knee was feeling better after an hours pilates class and it seemed to go ok.

Thanks for all the advice guys :) I do it in the evening so running outside isn't really an option. I'm gonna just keep giving it a go. Like I went in there thinking I know I can do this. I've done 20 mins before in a row. 5 more is nothing. So just do it. You know you can. Still didn't get through it.

I really do think it is a boredom thing. Cos I had the energy to go straight on the stepper after it when I hate that evil machine lol. I much prefer putting a lot of effort into something for a short period of time I think. I love all my kettlebell and lifting workouts cos they're hard but keep changing. Running is very repetitive. But I love how much I sweat cos of the effort I have to put in to running. Not giving up. Gonna keep trying, even if it takes me the whole year to do a 30 min run :p Friday is my next run :)

Have just come back from wk 6 d2. Planning on week 6 d3 this weekend, hoping it goes ok.

I am running outside and am doing at least one of the runs in the evening Bostik. Don't know where you live but I have bought myself an attack alarm which goes round my neck, I run round a residential estate where there are lots of houses with lights on and reasonable street lighting. I just put 'Laura' in one ear so that I am more aware of noises around me. Have felt very safe so far.

Is that something you would consider doing to overcome the boredom? I know a treadmill would drive me insane, I get bored really easily! I have to do a different route every session to keep my interest!!! Even then, I am being nosey, looking at peoples houses/ cars gardens etc as I go by!!!!!! ;):p;)

Ooh good luck for day 3 hun :D You'll do amazing :D

Nah, wouldn't run outside at the moment round here. There's been some theft and stuff going on. My mum used to go for a walk out every evening until recently when she joined the gym I go to instead cos it would be safer!

Sorry, my edit button doesn't show for some reason. But running again tonight :) Just gonna see how long I can keep going for :)

That's brilliant! Saved the link and will do when I've got my card on me!

You'll be amazing! :D You're an official runner now remember!

Hey girls.... wouldn't normally do this but if you can spare a few pounds..... Me....5k??? Yikes!!!

Its for a good cause!!!

Davina Fitzpatrick is fundraising for Cancer Research UK

XXX

Good on yer Dee. Will definitely support you; a cause very close to my heart as my mate (ironically the lady to introduced me to C25K ) is undergoing chemotherapy ATM. Would like to run myself (our local one is in June) but not sure where I'm going to be - may have to run in whichever part of the world I happen to
be xx

Just wanted to say that this morning's run was HARD!

Struggled to get myself out of bed and my heart sank at the end of my 5 min warm-up walk - really, REALLY didn't feel like doing it. I don't think I thought about anything apart from how much I didn't want to do it for the first 15 mins !

Then I started thinking about how far I'd come and how much better it feels to be fit ......and the last 15 were a breeze. Even the final hill and now I feel soooooo good!

Bring on the day!

Dx

Fair play to you Deezer for signing up for that 5k. Best of luck with it. x

I managed to do Week 5 Day 1 this evening. I'm quite happy with myself but not sure how I'll manage 2 8 min runs on Monday & then a 20 min run on Wednesday! :eek: Sure I'll try my best & see how I get on. :fingerscrossed:

I hope the rest of you are doing well. :wavey:

Don't let them scare you. You are so ready for them runs :D

Ooh good luck for day 3 hun :D You'll do amazing :D

Nah, wouldn't run outside at the moment round here. There's been some theft and stuff going on. My mum used to go for a walk out every evening until recently when she joined the gym I go to instead cos it would be safer!

Fair 'nuff Bostik! I am lucky enough to live somewhere pretty safe. Makes a change after 7 years in London previously.

Just got back from wk 6 d3. Feeling under the weather today and had quite bad shin splints at first. Thought I wouldn't mke the whole 25 mins. But I pushed through and completed it. Feel really good now!

It is so much a mental battle as well as a physical one. I am learning to think postitive!!!!

Great news on the planned 5K Deezer! I will defo sponsor yuo. I am planning to do the Bournemouth one so hopefully some folks on here may consider sponsoring me too? My mum is a breast cancer survivor and her mum died of ovarian cancr. But I never thought I would be able to do Race for Life. Now I feel it's within my reach.

Jog on ladies!!:D

Fair play to you Deezer for signing up for that 5k. Best of luck with it. x

I managed to do Week 5 Day 1 this evening. I'm quite happy with myself but not sure how I'll manage 2 8 min runs on Monday & then a 20 min run on Wednesday! :eek: Sure I'll try my best & see how I get on. :fingerscrossed:

I hope the rest of you are doing well. :wavey:

You're doing so great Sinead!!! Keep setting off on your runs, you will be surprised at what you CAN DO!!!!:):):):)

Back